Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

MIM Squier Series Strat

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Believer7713, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    I haven't seen this club yet. If there already is one let me know.
    I have a 1994 MIM black label Fender Stratocaster "Squier Series" in Olympic white. I picked it up at my local GC on a straight trade for a Samick that I just couldn't get into. After s little work (truss rod adjustment etc.) it became a great guitar. I mace a few changes later...Babicz saddles, Pribora p'ups, brass block, planet waves auto-trim locking tuners and upgraded pots. It is my #1 now and the neck on this thing is absolutely amazing.
    If you got one then let's see it!

Here's mine
    [​IMG]

rudos1 likes this.
  2. rudos1

rudos1 Senior Stratmaster

Aug 16, 2013
    Boston
    View attachment 212741 My white MIM 95 Black Label is a Traditional not a Squier Series but it is a killer guitar. I only changed the pickups to Tex Mex and replaced the volume pot with a fresh one..

strat1.jpg

Not sure why this one pic won't post upright?? I tested a few others and this one is the only one that does this???

KONA and Believer7713 like this.
  3. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Strat-Talker

Nov 6, 2018
    Vancouver, Canada
    What.... There’s only 3 of us with these awesome guitars?

I picked up my 94 MIM “Squier Series” Strat a couple of years ago and it completely won me over. The neck is truly amazing. One piece maple neck with skunk. 10” radius fretboard and skinny vintage style frets. It is so comfortable and I’ve got the action super low.

I’ve upgraded my tuners to Wilkinsonvintage style split tuners, added an America Standard string tree, new bridge, bent steel fender saddles, full size brass trem block, upgraded the electronics and pickups. I also shielded the body and it’s pretty quiet. I’ve got a couple of loaded pick guards so I can switch any time.

Here she is:

0D8F4398-04E7-4833-8A9E-3F0D236FD769.jpeg

DA5A6114-6A68-422E-BE97-C04E99BE2881.jpeg

6DDEEEF8-530F-46E9-8258-8D6B5C0EE757.jpeg

Attached Files:

Believer7713 likes this.
  4. Believer7713

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    I picked up another one earlier this year that is like yours but someone changed the plastics to three ply black. I got it to be a suitable mate for my white one. I'm in the middle of restoring it now with new jumbo frets, new Tusq nut (waiting for that now), a couple p'ups custom wound by @Bodean top go with the 12.5k Fender bridge p'up, a set of Planet Waves Auto Trim locking tuners(the fastest and cleanest looking string changes on the planet). I will be changing the plastics from black to parchment 3 ply. When it's done it won't only be a good match for the white one but also a little brother for my Jazz Bass.
    1541673725116.jpg
    1541673738447.jpg
    1541675700501.jpg
    1541675788968.jpg
    1541675795244.jpg
    1541675799808.jpg

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    Andrew Wasson likes this.
  5. Believer7713

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    Also, where did you get your brass block? And what p'ups are those?

6. Andrew Wasson

Nov 6, 2018
    Vancouver, Canada
    I got the brass block from Guitarfetish. I picked up the tremolo upgrade kit that came with springs, saddles, arm and bridge plate. I’m using the guitar fetish bridge plate, brass block and tremolo arm with the OEM springs. They’re not as stiff and allow for better adjustment. I’m also using the 6 OEM screws for the bridge plate. They were slightly longer if I recall correctly.

If I was guaranteed that the brass block would fit with the OEM plate, I would have just switched it out but the one in the kit didn’t line up the tremolo bar properly so I had to use the bridge plate and block. The threads are the same for the tremolomarm but the angle is different so I used the GFS arm with it. It’s got a good feel to it.

The bent saddles that came with the kit were garbage. The adjustment screws aren’t tapped properly in the saddles and they fell out. I had another set sent and they did the same so I ordered a set of Fender MIM Steel bent saddles. They are excellent.

The vintage 60’s Alnico 5 pickups I got from a place called Donlis music in China. Really well done pickups, cloth wire, chamfered pole pieces and they sound great. Really surprisingly inexpensive as well. I didn’t like the cream covers that came with them so I’m using the stock parchment covers from my original pickups. Here’s a listing of them: https://https//www.aliexpress.com/i...r-pickups-staggered-pole-piece/531493155.html

The single rail pickups are a set of prototypes that were built by a pickup winder in the Ukraine, who I met on the TDPRI website a couple of years ago. He’s a bonified genius and expert machinist. They use a neodinuim magnet that has been gaussed according to his formula. The production pickups he does have interchangeable magnets so you can choose a darker or brighter tone. Mine have fixed magnets and are a darker tone. There’s a massive long discussion over at TDPRI that covers his development of these pickups with lots of demo video clips of his tests and successes. Really cool stuff. The TDPRI site is having trouble today. If I can find the thread I’ll send it to you. His name is Vladimir and his website is here: https://www.deneb-tone.com/

By the way, my MIM Squier Series hangs beside a Jazz Bass as well. I’ve got a 1994 MIJ JB hanging just to the left of it.

Believer7713 likes this.
  7. Believer7713

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    Very cool on the JB. Mine is a 1984 Made in USA. I got it from my high school a couple years after I graduated. It only took me 4 years of everything but begging them to sell it to me but they finally did. I got it with a 1977 Peavey TNT 100 for $200 as a package deal in 1995.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  8. Andrew Wasson

Nov 6, 2018
    Vancouver, Canada
    That is a crazy good deal on the JB! I inherited mine from my last band. Come to think of it I probably bought it or contributed to its purchase anyway. Anyway, after the band folded the other founding member brought it over with a bunch of PA equipment and mic’s, etc... and said I should probably have it. I’ve never seriously played bass but I was doing some recording that needed a bass part and I couldn’t believe how cool it feels playing bass. I could do that.

I think I’m going to put the stock pickups back in my Squier Series Strat just for fun. I swapped out my rail pickup guard out and put the 60’s hot pickups in. They’re a little too lively I think so now I want to see what the OEM ceramics sound like. If they sound great I’ll keep them in, if not I may look into something else. Just for fun mind you. I don’t mind spending time swapping pickups and electronics.

Believer7713 likes this.
  9. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Strat-O-Master

Oct 30, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    Can I join? Here’s my 95 with a few upgrades. I installed vintage style tuners, a MIM big block trem and a set of EMG SA’s on a black pickguard.

B5F127D8-090F-4BDE-A54A-CDB5CFFC715A.jpeg

Andrew Wasson and Believer7713 like this.
  10. Believer7713

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    Of course you can join. Nice job on the Gilmore look alike.

mkgearhead likes this.
  11. Andrew Wasson

Nov 6, 2018
    Vancouver, Canada
    Nice looking guitar. How do you like the EMG’s?

12. Believer7713

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    I just noticed that I am the only one here that has one with a rosewood FB.

crawdaddy likes this.
  13. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Senior Stratmaster

Feb 11, 2010
    Valley o Sun
    Let's rectify that right now...

20180927_185514.jpg

Rosewood was the only flavor of the board that Fender offered us lefty's on MIM strats back in the 90's....

I also have this beauty....though she now sports a maple fret board:

s-l1600.jpg CIMG6247.JPG

14. Believer7713

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    Thank you, I didn't know if I should feel special or lonely.

crawdaddy likes this.
  15. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Strat-O-Master

Oct 30, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    I think they sound great. If you’re looking for vintage tones, look elsewhere. The EMG’s have a fuller sound, for lack of a better term. They also have a great overdrive/distortion sound.

16. Believer7713

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    I agree completely. I have a Jackson Dinky that I put an 89 (splittable alnico HB) and 2 SA's in. I can have HSs or SSS. Plus you can wire them with 18 volts for more headroom and they will hold 27 volts but that doesn't make any difference. I have mine on a 9v/18v switch.

mkgearhead likes this.
  17. Andrew Wasson

Nov 6, 2018
    Vancouver, Canada
    Cool. I may have to load up a pickguard with a set to swap in. I’ve never had a set of active pickups but they seem to have a lot of advantages for all tones from super sparkly clean to overdrive and distortion. I’ve got a couple of guards for my Squier Series that I can change within maybe 1/2 an hour. It makes it really easy to try different things out.

I may even do up a HSS guard (shudder). I kind of like the aesthetic of the SSS Strat better so I’ve avoided a bridge humbucker but it would make for a more flexible guitar tone wise. I just put the Donlis DS53’s back in and boom, mind blown. How can a set of $35 pickups sound that good?

mkgearhead likes this.
  18. Believer7713

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    I just finished the work on my second one last night. I gotta say that I really like these guitars and they are absolutely wonderful instruments IMHO.
    1541941239549.jpg
    1541941247228.jpg

19. Andrew Wasson

Nov 6, 2018
    Vancouver, Canada
    That looks awesome! Quite a familiar looking guitar too. Nice work in the frets. Mine still has the original skinny vintage frets. I don’t mind them at all.

After two years with mine, I’m still blown away at how well these guitars perform. As i mentioned in that parts guitar vs Custom Shop thread, my Squier Series really gives my Classic Player 60’s Strat a run for it’s money not only in tone but in playability. The necks on these guitars are awesome. My beef with the American Standard I used to have was the neck. I didn’t like it. The Squier Series neck on the other hand just fits my hand perfectly.

Here’s the fender catalogue from the MIM Squier Series era. It has the specs and description of these guitars and shows where they were in the Fender Strat Lineup.

EDIT: I just noticed that according to the catalogue the Squier Series necks have a 12” radius. It doesn’t feel as massively wide as I would have expected though. My CP60’s Strat has a 12” radius as well but feels a lot wider. I had always thought that the neck radius on the Squier Series was 10”.

E75E6239-7F96-4D75-A044-D454A32E7011.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  20. Believer7713

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    That's interesting. It does say 12 inch raises but the proof says otherwise. Both of mine are 9.5 inch.
    1541952804151.jpg
    1541952809585.jpg