Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

MIM Strat concerns and questions

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by bluepixel, Feb 24, 2018.

1. bluepixel

bluepixel Strat-Talk Member

Feb 24, 2018
    Spain
    Hi there!

Just bought my first Fender. Well, I actually have a Squier but don't know if it counts o_O

It's a Made in Mexico Fender Standard Stratocaster SSS with maple neck and lake placid blue color. I just looooove the looks. Made in 2017 I suppose (MX17#..# serial) and brand new (the box was nicely stapled).

My first impression was exceptional. The neck finish is a huge upgrade from the Squier Standard, BUT! ... I have two concerns that worry me a little:
    • Some pickup pole pieces have some kind of grease or something. It looks a bit filthy. Photo attached.
    • Knobs are not smooth. Specially compared to the Squier :thumbd: I haven't removed the plastic from the pickguard yet, but I don't know if has something to do with it. I still don't want to remove it until I decide to keep it.
    Is it supposed to be like that?

Thanks for your help and advice!

Attached Files:

Mansonienne likes this.

2. shupe13

shupe13 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 17, 2010
    Greenfield, IN
    All new guitars deserve new strings. Cut them off. Pull the plastic. Clean the pole pole pieces and play the hell out of it. Then return it if it’s jacked.

3. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    Welcome to Strat-Talk.

My guess is that "grease like stuff" is just a little excess wax. The pickups are hot dipped in wax. Nothing to worry about.

Most here love Squier Strats................ even though they aren't "Fenders". :thumb:

Post MORE pics of your new guitar!!!

bluepixel likes this.

4. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Stratocrastinator Extraordinaire Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2015
    Paris suburbs, France
    Oooo LPB and maple!! We’re going to need to see a pic of that!

bluepixel and johnnymg like this.

5. AndSomeone

AndSomeone Strat-Talker

Jan 2, 2018
    Santa Monica
    Yeah I honestly wouldn’t worry - and hey your first impression is always what counts and that is obviously amazing.

Knobs might be plastic or they are just on a little crooked. If not they are super cheap to replace.

6. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    The EU
    I second that Squiers are great.
    I second that the stuff on the pole pieces is just wax.
    I second that we need pics.
    I don't really have a lot of new stuff to say, do I?

The pots though... many scratchy pots aren't scratchy - it's the knobs sitting too close to the pickguard. Try pulling them a little further up.

s5tuart and bluepixel like this.

7. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    This. My Roadhouse was a little scratchy until I pulled the plastic off the guard, it was making just enough contact to be noticeable.

Ebidis and bluepixel like this.

8. bluepixel

Feb 24, 2018
    Spain
    I do like my Squier a lot! Don't get me wrong! :thumb: I had no idea about wax. Good to know.

Here they are: http://www.strat-talk.com/threads/hi-all.464600/#post-3090134

It sure was a good impression. Might consider it if I remove the pastic and it still feels a bit rough. Thanks!

It seems kind of tricky. Is there a "right" way of pulling them?

I'll report back. Thanks!

9. RegularJim

RegularJim Strat-Talker

May 8, 2017
    Winthrop Harbor, IL
    I lay a business card on the pick guard use a dull flat object under the edge (the lever on my fingernail clippers works well), turning the knob as I gently pry. When it's up high enough to grab with my fingers, I wiggle and pull the knob. Make sure to get all the pick guard plastic out from under the knobs.

10. NickDG

NickDG Strat-Talker

Apr 22, 2015
    California
    My Squire didn't have any ~concerns~ :D

11. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    Are you sure about that? It looks more like buffing compound residue to me.

12. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Just remove the knobs like this:

It will not hurt anything. Then remove the plastic from the pickguard, and put the knobs back on. :)

arcticstrat and duzie like this.

13. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    Your guess is probably better than mine.

14. AndSomeone

AndSomeone Strat-Talker

Jan 2, 2018
    Santa Monica
    I just use a shoe lace and wrap around under and pull. Then I walk out the door with only one shoe tied.

15. bluepixel

Feb 24, 2018
    Spain
    So... I finally tried with two picks and it was a success! Plastic peeled off! Well... mostly. Why don't they do something that can be removed without unscrewing everything??

I'm worried about the backplate. I had to unscrew a tiny bit to remove the plastic (there was no plastic to peel in fact, but there was plastic under the screws :thumbd:) and I'm a bit paranoid if I tightened them correctly. Maybe too much? Is this a big deal?

16. AndSomeone

AndSomeone Strat-Talker

Jan 2, 2018
    Santa Monica
    I wouldn’t really worry to much just don’t over tighten stuff, I’ve taken my guitars apart many times and I’m no guitar tech. It’s always the new item paranoia ha ha.

bluepixel likes this.

17. bluepixel

Feb 24, 2018
    Spain
    Totally hahaha.

Well, I tightened a bit. Certainly not excessively, but I pushed it a teeny bit so it wouldn't be loose. Maybe, since I removed the plastic under the screws, it let me turn a bit more. Then I saw the backplate sideways and it felt like there was a small gap. I suppose it's not easy to bend it, is it? It's rather thick.

18. Count Glockula®

Count Glockula® Strat-O-Master

Aug 16, 2009
    Fenderland, CA
    Watch some of Fender university vids on YouTube. There's wax under the screws to prevent the wood stripping or to better sit in the wood. So when removing the screws, put a little wax (candle wax) on the tornados and screw it in.

Omar and bluepixel like this.

19. bluepixel

Feb 24, 2018
    Spain
    Thanks! But I didn't unscrew it entirely. Just loosened each screw a bit to let the underlying plastic go.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018

20. bluepixel

Feb 24, 2018
    Spain
    Ok, so I raised the pickups a bit and I left the bridge as is. I don't use the tremolo, but since it's new, I prefer not to touch it for a while. I put new strings on, though :)

The neckplate seems fine. It looked slightly bent, but it turned out to be a shadow :whistling: