Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

MIM Strat price

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Boongoon, Nov 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Boongoon

Boongoon Strat-Talk Member

Nov 10, 2017
    New Jersey
    Hello,

I am new to this site and pretty new to guitar playing. I want a Strat and found that the MIM Strats are the way to go for me based on price and value. I have been looking through craigslist and found one that I like. I was hoping you all could shed some light on the value vs. cost of the guitar.

It is a 2006 Satin Midnight Wine with Rosewood fretboard. The seller describes as in excellent condition with zero blemishes. It has a SEYMOUR DUNCAN JB Jr. Humbucker in the bridge. He was asking $425 with a chainsaw case. He said he would do for $400 or $360 without the case (which I don't need). I looked up the pickup and seems to be a $80 or so upgrade.

Any input would be appreciated. I have about a 2 hour drive to get it so I don't want to waste the trip.

Thanks.

2. YALCaster

YALCaster Strat-Talker

Mar 14, 2017
    America

3. alderre

alderre Strat-Talker

May 1, 2014
    New Braunfels
    $350 sounds like the right price.

4. rich815

rich815 Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

If you’re not too picky for color and have patience decent MIM strats can be had for less than $300, and often at GC for $300-350 all day long (and that’s with 45 day return policy). Unless there’s something special about this one or the color is uncommon and one you really want you can find cheaper.

Do you want a strat with a humbucker? And if so, that one? Don’t justify the price because the “upgrade” cost $80...

5. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    The EU
    Make the trip - you can't waste it either way.
    Play the guitar.
    You like it, you buy it.
    You don't like it, you know you don't and can go home instead of wondering what would have been.

6. Boongoon

Nov 10, 2017
    New Jersey
    Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 11.06.11 AM.png

I do like the color but honestly not to picky. Not sure if I want the humbucker. This is my first electric guitar. There is another one for $285 in a more traditional pattern, I think it's called sunburst. I like that as well. It has new locking tuners, strap, strap locks and recently set-up. Plus it comes with a tube screamer pedal (which I don't need) It is a 2005. I read that the plant was upgraded for 2006 models and that the quality is better. Any truth to that?

Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 10.58.40 AM.png

7. heltershelton

heltershelton ROCKIN FOREVER Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    they put a bigger block and better pickups and electronics in the MIM guitars in 2006.

nuculer terrist likes this.

8. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Strat-O-Master

Jul 21, 2015
    USA
    The sunburst strat with the tube screamer is a deal worth doing, unless the guitar has problems we don't see. If I lived near you I'd be on my way to look at it now, it probably won't last long.

Also, if it's closer than 2 hours away (like the wine red one is)the sunburst seems like a no-brainer. If you wanted to swap a humbucker into it at some point, sell the Tube Screamer and use that money to buy a pickup. You can get $50 - $70 for TS the pedal.

Since your new to playing your factors are
    - playability. My hunch is they are both similar, or could be setup to be good players so that's an even swap.
    - sound...the humbucker. If you play rock, at all, you may prefer having the JB jr.
    - aesthetic/color. I personally prefer sunburst over wine red,,,but I hate the black pickguard on it. Pickguards are cheap and easy to swap. A white one will completely change the way the sunburst looks if you want to do that.
    - price. The sunburst w/ a TS at $285 is a pretty good deal. You're basically getting the guitar for $235. If you like the wine red one I'd go $350, but no more than that.

9. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Strat-O-Master

Jul 21, 2015
    USA
    rich815 and john lavelle like this.

10. IronSchef

IronSchef Strat-O-Master

May 17, 2012
    Fox Point, WI
    or - if you are considering NEW - GC is going to have two nice ones available for $499 Black Friday Sale:

FSR.jpg

11. Boongoon

Nov 10, 2017
    New Jersey
    Thanks for all the input. One more monkey wrench to throw in. After doing some research I am kinda interested in this G&L Legacy Tribute. It's brand new and on clearance from GC. With the 15% off coupon it comes to $452 with tax. More than I wanted to spend, but from what I have read it seems to be a better all around guitar than the MIM Strats. Thoughts? If I go with the Strat will go check out the one for $285.
    Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 1.00.09 PM.png

Tomas83 likes this.

12. john lavelle

john lavelle Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 25, 2012
    North Carolina
    This looks like the best deal! Oly white to boot, and an amp!! No brainer!!

fattboyzz likes this.

13. heltershelton

heltershelton ROCKIN FOREVER Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    I agree....thats a great deal.

john lavelle likes this.

14. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 24, 2017
    Sharpsburg ,Ga.
    I'd be jumping on that one myself :)

john lavelle likes this.

15. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Senior Stratmaster

Feb 11, 2010
    Valley o Sun
    As the proud owner of a few G&L guitars (mine are left handed though)....I would seriously take a look at the Legacy Tribute. IMO, they are much nicer than the MIM guitars that Fender puts out.

One advantage to me is that the G&L Tribute model come standard with Alnico pickups.

Check out the G&L's at Musicians Friend....they have a nice selection...

Best of luck on whatever you decide....

Tomas83 and nuculer terrist like this.

16. Boongoon

Nov 10, 2017
    New Jersey
    Thanks for everyones input. I agree that the white strat is the best deal. However, I don't love the humbucker look. The original one I posted about had a single coil sized humbucker. That being said, I think I will go with the G&L. Most of what I read is that it is a better guitar side by side. Now I hope I can make it sound up to its potential. Thanks again to everyone that took the time to post.

Tomas83 and nuculer terrist like this.

17. nederemer

nederemer Strat-Talker

Oct 25, 2017
    Somerset, Kentucky, USA.
    Here's the thing about a humbucker routed guitar. If you don't like it.. a single coil will fit. Ultimately get what you want... I don't have experience with g and l but I have seen that same guitar used on my local Craigslist for $235

18. Ebidis

Ebidis Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    G&L resale is not quite as good as Fender, but if you don't care about resale, they are nice guitars.

nederemer likes this.

19. Boongoon

Nov 10, 2017
    New Jersey
    I have been looking on craigslist for the G&L's. Haven't found much. However, the ones I have found have been right there in price with the MIM Strats. Right around $350.

I didn't realize the strat was routed for humbucker. I guess it is just covered by the pickguard.

20. Tomas83

Tomas83 Strat-Talker

Jul 30, 2014
    NE in the 4 corners
    Between the three that you mentioned I’d go with G&L too. That sunburst Strat would be my second option. G&L’s Have USA pickups in them. The tremolo is excellent and I really like their necks usually it’s a 12” radius