Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

MIM Strat Upgrades

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by TB883, Jul 11, 2018.

1. TB883

TB883 Strat-Talker

Apr 20, 2018
    UK
    Ok so I know there’s lots of potential upgrades to my MIM Deluxe was just wondering which of the following were worth it that I could do myself. or just subjective.
    I’m happy with my pups.

Trem block an springs etc. Lots of speculation about brass,steel titanium but is it worth doing and does it make a lot of difference.

Bridge plate an std bent saddles. I’ve seen several types but again does it make a lot of difference.

Not gonna do the nut at this point though and beyond my skill level as is any major fret work.

I already have locking tuners.

Any other recommended tweaks.
    Cheers

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-A-Holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Nothing - it's a great guitar - just play it! Doesn't need any mods....

2-Finger, rich815 and Neil.C like this.
  3. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 28, 2011
    Pawnee, Indiana
    Nope,

Nope,

Nope.

I've fallen down that rabbit hole before (not with bridges and blocks, always found that worthless) but I've upgraded things "just because" and it was mostly wasted effort and money. Anybody telling you that you "need" to do anything to a working, good sounding and well playing guitar is likely trying to make money off of you.

Seems like you've got a nice guitar there. Got any pics?

4. heltershelton

heltershelton ASKED TO LEAVE THE STAGE Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    the only thing i upgraded on my mim strats were the string trees.the originals had no spacers and caused tuning problems.

adiabatic likes this.
  5. jeff h

jeff h Senior Stratmaster

Jan 13, 2017
    Ohio
    None. Leave it alone.

rich815 likes this.
  6. TB883

TB883 Strat-Talker

Apr 20, 2018
    UK
    Lol I know I love it but there’s always a tweak or two lol. I was always a bit meh about strats till I got it. Now it’ll have to prized from my cold dead fingers lol.

nickmsmith likes this.
  7. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    Put that "upgrade" money into some guitar lessons. :thumb:

alderre and skypeace like this.
  8. TB883

TB883 Strat-Talker

Apr 20, 2018
    UK
    IMG_0862.JPG

nickmsmith likes this.
  9. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 28, 2011
    Pawnee, Indiana
    Sharp looking. Your electronics are exactly the same stuff they put in MIA Strats..

Neck and body are arguably the same quality too, from my experience.
    You've got a good guitar. I'm usually pretty satisfied with strats 1-3 steps below that one, even.

10. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-A-Holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    All that it needs is a setup! I can tell it's not properly intonated by the saddle postions....

11. TB883

TB883 Strat-Talker

Apr 20, 2018
    UK
    Jees lol the pic was taken straight outta the box I’ve since set it up.

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  12. baconjerky

baconjerky Strat-Talk Member

Jun 25, 2015
    Richmond
    Yea I don’t think much would be considered an upgrade. In some ways I even prefer my Mexi pups to my am standards. But it is fun to personalize it a little. Pickguard colors, strap locks, etc

13. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

Jun 10, 2013
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    If it were me, I'd probably change the pickups. Though I like hum-canceling single coils, I'm not a big fan of Fender's Vintage Noiseless pickups. I'd probably put a set of Kinman pickups in there, or perhaps a set of Zexcoils. Other than that, I think the MIM Deluxe is a great guitar (I haven't owned one myself, but I've owned its predecessor, the Deluxe Player's Strat). I like that the current MIM Deluxe has locking tuners (which I prefer) and the contoured heel.

With the Deluxe Player's Strat I had, I replaced the pickups with a set of Kinman Traditional Mk-III pickups, and I thought it sounded great with those pickups.

SAguitar likes this.
  14. jpmist

jpmist Strat-Talker

Mar 26, 2010
    Decatur
    I'm with everyone else here, the trem block and saddle tweaks are really very subjective and I'm not sure most will hear a difference. If you like the pickups then you have hit the only recommendation most would make as that's the one thing you can do to really change your tone.

From my experience the nut you have is probably dead on as far as nut slot depth so you don't really need to fool with it. And switching out a perfectly good nut for a bone one is in the same category as trem blocks and saddles tweaks.

So I made you read this far to get to the one thing I can suggest which is a wiring change to make the bottom tone knob cover all 3 pickups versus whatever you have now. Someone here will know. It's a simple process which will make you learn how to solder one wire and tempt you into spending money on a different set of pickups, and then go down the resistor rabbit hole like the rest of us . . .

Have fun!

shimonstrat likes this.
  15. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Strat-Talker

Mar 22, 2018
    Iowa
    I'm sure your guitar sounds great as is. However, it CAN sound better with those upgrades. I've always upgraded those very components in every import guitar I've owned and it makes a impressive difference every time. I also do a bone nut that I slot myself so could be worth looking into as well. Good luck whatever you do. Oh, I also swap to block saddles as well so I'm sure that okaus a part too.

skypeace likes this.
  16. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    Rolling the finger board edges is a good mod IMO.

Making it play as easy as possible from a great set up and you getting better as a player are the mods that are going to make you and everyone else the happiest IMO.

A MIM Fender guitar is a solid base and since you like the pickups you are golden.

17. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

May 2, 2016
    Cranston, Rhode Island
  18. bryan83

bryan83 Strat-Talk Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Oahu
    I recommend changing out the pickups with a set you prefer. I couldn’t stand stock MIM pickups. Swapped them out with CS 69s, very happy with it now. I also upgraded to a steel block. Noticeable difference IMO. I had a tech do a fret job, worth it IMO. Changed to vintage style tuners but that was my preference. If you plan on keeping it (mine was a gift from my wife so it’s not going anywhere) then make it yours. Made mine into a Gilmour strat:)

[​IMG]

TB883, shimonstrat and 2-Finger like this.
  19. Elmo

Elmo Strat-Talker

Jul 4, 2018
    Dalton GA
    Fill it up with tequila lol

20. Guitaraxe

Guitaraxe Strat-O-Master

Aug 22, 2015
    States
    IDK, I like the stock spec's but ya, change out what you don't like....