Join Strat-Talk Today

MIM telecaster bridge pickkup question

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Bigdogdaddy, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Bigdogdaddy

Bigdogdaddy Strat-O-Master Gold Member

OK. I am asking a simple question here.

I have a Standard Telecaster (MIM) that I got in a trade and my bridge pickup doesn't work. I am 99% sure it is the bridge pickup because I have done a resistance reading on the 3 way switch, and it seems to be fine. However, I haven't desoldered the bridge pickup itself (yet). I would like to know if any of you fine folks could tell me what the resistance should be with it removed from the switch. And please don't recommend google, because all I can find is people that want to spout their "knowledge" about theory and such or push their product. If unhooked from the switch what should the resistance read on a stock bridge pickup?

I'm not sure yet I'm going to keep it, but if I do, I'll probably go with Tex-Mex pups or Duncan. 20181230_063805_Burst01.jpg

Thanks for putting up with a Fender newbie.

Seymour Duncan likes this.
  2. sjtalon

sjtalon Senior Stratmaster

meter on 20X

6-7 KΩ
    If it's original and newer than 2006, then 10K.

When going from position 1 (all the way back) to 2, are you noticing any difference tone wise ? Tap on the pickups with a paper clip or screwdriver as you flip the switch, you might hear it working a little anyway.................just for kix .

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    Believer7713 likes this.
  3. Bigdogdaddy

Bigdogdaddy Strat-O-Master Gold Member

Thanks.
    Nope, absolutely nothing. I'm pretty sure the pup is bad. It's OK though. I just ordred a 920d prewired pick guard with Tex-Mex pickups, so if I decide to keep it, I'll have a nice player. If I decide to sell it, I won't be selling someone a piece of junk.

4. sjtalon

sjtalon Senior Stratmaster

Tex Mex pups are a good choice. Do keep us posted.

Happy pickin'

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.