Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Monterey Strat Limited Edtion..

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Electgumbo, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Most Honored Senior Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Scott La.
    IMG_1877.JPG Went to the local GC today hunting strings and a extra OCD. Still having problem settling on a set my hands can handle. Gabby one of the sales girls go all excited and said she had a girl for me to try. She disappears into the back neither region of the store and returns with a new Monterey Strat... I plug it up at the little pedal station in the corner. There is some kind of Bugera combo and I see a MXR Carbon Copy somebody left there. So hook up the OCD and Carbon Copy. Set the OCD for my favorite LP setting and a slight almost Reverb delay on the Carbon Copy. I started going thru my Jimi licks and bits of songs. Boy what a nice playing guitar! Nice wide C type neck. It played beautifully. All the pick up settings sounded good but that front pickup sound was to die for. It was so big and fat and just had a tone. It might be THE tone. It quacked good in the in between settings. The middle was nice. The rear was well BRIGHT and funky as hell. I hate when everybody stops and looks at me in the store but I guess it comes with the territory. I showed Gabby the turn down the second tone control and flick the pickup switch like on Slight Return... she was amused. Anyway the guitar itself seemed extra curvey and rounder on the edges... my buddy the VP at Fender told me the artwork is printed on to the body in some kinda of fancy printer they have then it's shot with the clear coat... poli want a cracker coat. So it's not the same as having one hand painted over the finish ... it's like it's under glass. But still a great looking guitar. I got a clean delayed sound and played my faux EJ and Pat Methany chord voicing which sounded good but to be honest they sound good on any Strat. I handed the guitar back to Gabby cause I didn't want to put pick scratches all over it... but it sure is a nice Jimi inspired Strat....

2. Bodean

Bodean smells like leather Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 23, 2014
    South Carolina
    That's funny, when I saw these were coming out I thought of you. I figured you were taking it home with you.:D

Electgumbo and CigBurn like this.

3. ZlurkCorzDog

ZlurkCorzDog The Artist Formerly Known As gt Strat-Talk Supporter

What kind of pup's are they? I know you're humble but you should take it as a huge compliment when people stop to listen to your playing because they are aware they are in the presence of greatness. :cool:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    montemerrick and Electgumbo like this.

4. spizike231

spizike231 Strat-Talk Member

Feb 9, 2017
    California
    Aren’t these just stock MIM pups?

Why is everyone loving these all of a sudden?

No offense, I’m glad you loved the geetar

Paperback Rocker and Electgumbo like this.

5. nhsdpl

nhsdpl Senior Stratmaster

Apr 21, 2012
    West Australia
    Love ya shirt :thumb:

Cheers.

6. Electgumbo

Dec 26, 2010
    Scott La.
    @spizike231

You are correct. I normally remove ceramic pickups as soon as I get them home. I don't know what these are but Fender doesn't seem to be making a big out of them. Can I be blinded by a fancy paint job? Yeah it could happen. Especially this paint job. But I learned the guitar was ordered by a customer who took it home and returned it after a few days. It didn't have enough GAIN ( do guitars have gain? ) or didn't distort enough for him ... especially the bridge? Why did he want a SSS guitar in the first place? I guess the tone is in the paint...

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017

7. CigBurn

CigBurn Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 22, 2014
    The Shed
    Great story and one heck of a Buddha smile ya got there. :)

Electgumbo likes this.

8. gwjensen

gwjensen Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

That guitar looks good on you!

Electgumbo and mshivy like this.

9. spizike231

Feb 9, 2017
    California
    Could we have found a Strat whose paint holds better tone than (insert your favorite Strat color here)???

Also- it’s not just you. That’s why I asked. It’s a lot of folks testing these things out.

Which strikes me odd as a newish MIM owner who was always told MIM pups aren’t great lol

Electgumbo likes this.

10. mshivy

mshivy Most Honored Senior Member

Yeah! It's you Norm!!
    Maybe down the road a ways it'll follow you home

That is strange.. i like Gain, the more gain the better to hide my sloppy picking, but what the hell is the guy thinking buying a Hendrix guitar for that ?? Probably some heavy metal freak!!!!

11. Rastus

Rastus Senior Stratmaster

Jan 1, 2014
    Australia
    It's great the music store treats you so well, & thanks for the write-up on the guitar.

I "was" all ready to post HNGD, but maybe next-time....

Your Jimi Hendrix reverse-head-stock guitar is still quite new ( I think ) , & sounded great when you posted a warm-up of it not-so-long ago.

mshivy and Electgumbo like this.

12. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Senior Stratmaster

Aug 7, 2009
    austin texas
    They are cool guitars.I just bought a Lake placid blue 60s Strat and it is the same guitar except for the paint job and white pickguard.The latest Mexican Fenders are really nice...the best they have made yet.And part of that is the attention they are giving to carving the Strat bodies very sleekly and rounded on the edges much like the original pre CBS era ones.The body shapes have been hit or miss over the years but since 2016 the Mexican Strats are well carved.The pickups on mine sound great and I don't see a need to change them(and I own more expensive USA reissues with 'superior' pickups).The fretboards are now Pau Ferro instead of the discontinued rosewood on Mexican Fenders and it is a nice fretboard wood for Fenders.It not something I'd buy but the Jimi Monterey model is nice for someone who is a Hendrix fan who wants an affordable and quality 60s style reissue Strat.

13. Bodean

Bodean smells like leather Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 23, 2014
    South Carolina

14. spizike231

Feb 9, 2017
    California
    Also, that paint job under the gloss looks like candy.

I think we’ve found the secret for TASTY tone...

*ba dum tss*

15. Ebidis

Ebidis Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Not the ceramic MIM pickups, the pole pieces are staggered. Maybe they're stock Classic Series alnico pickups, which I actually like.

mshivy likes this.

16. ashtray

ashtray Strat-O-Master

Mar 15, 2017
    LA
    Andertons did a demo on youtube and I believe they said which pickups were in it. Wasn't stock MIM Standard, but can't remember if it was the US model pickups or the MIM Classic Series. I know they didn't spend any time talking about the pickups - just mentioned them in passing with the other specs.

There was a time where I would have camped outside GC in order to buy one of these, but I'm about 15 years past that point. I think its cool - I want one, but I have Strats that are nicer, so its just the artwork. I bought a few Jimi Hendrix guitar straps this year - they give that vibe to a regular Strat. ;)

17. Electgumbo

Dec 26, 2010
    Scott La.
    @ashtray

It seems I'll never get pass that point ...

johnnymg likes this.

18. Electgumbo

Dec 26, 2010
    Scott La.
    @Rastus
    I'm fairly well known in my little town. All the different shops know me. They know I'll haggle for a better price and I'll get it or I'll walk out and get the price I want across town. But people rather deal with me cause I actually buy stuff when times were good.

Rastus and CigBurn like this.

19. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Stratocrastinator Extraordinaire Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2015
    Paris suburbs, France

20. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    Ahhhhhhh what the heck............... just put one of these on order at Sweetwater. :eek:

Electgumbo likes this.