Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

More & more of this crap on eBay!

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by StratPlus97, Sep 13, 2017.

1. StratPlus97

StratPlus97 Strat-O-Master

Apr 7, 2016
    USA
    I'm seeing more and more of this on Ebay everyday, not only with guitars and accessories but with a lot of other random items. They are so obviously fake too. The username always has 0 feedback and from another country.

I don't understand the scam though. With eBay's "buyer protection", how do they screw anyone???

IMG_2896.JPG IMG_2897.JPG IMG_2899.JPG

2. bigbasscat

bigbasscat Strat-Talk Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 10, 2017
    San Francisco
    They attempt to con the potential buyer into doing an off-Ebay deal using a western union transfer.

It doesn't surprise me in the least that Ebay turns a blind eye to it, what surprises me is the chumps that fall for it.

StillAlive&Well and TheDuck like this.

3. TheDuck

TheDuck Senior Stratmaster

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Ebay buyer protection isnt what it once was.
    As mentioned, Ebay knows about these types of auctions, they obviously dont care.

4. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2015
    Mukilteo
    I was going to buy a used Ibanez Jem a while back, but there is so much blatant counterfeiting going on in the world, ...it's just too risky.

5. bigbasscat

bigbasscat Strat-Talk Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 10, 2017
    San Francisco
    This is a post of mine in another thread addressing issues with scam auctions on Ebay in 2004, not musical instruments, motorcycles:

http://www.strat-talk.com/threads/this-guy-is-still-at-it.449272/#post-2915668

Ebay is slow to act on any complaint other than formal complaints from attorneys representing copyright or trademark holders.

They are unconcerned about these little scam artists that prey on ignorant Ebay users.

circles likes this.

6. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 3, 2009
    Mobile Bay
    If you're in the U.S., only deal with U.S. based sellers.

It may or may not make a difference when people see that I'm 20+ years registered on ebay, and have 100% feedback. Sometimes, I'm glad buyers don't know - I've never received negative feedback. The site isn't anything like it was in the late 90's, or early 00's, that's for sure.

When I was a horn player, I bought/ sold quite a few vintage ones on ebay (1930's - 1950's saxophones, trumpets, and cornets). Many of those had ornate engraving, and were real nice to own!

7. StratPlus97

Apr 7, 2016
    USA
    What do you mean by "what it once was"? I do a lot with Ebay both buying and selling, and in my opinion, it's much better than what it used to be.

8. Neil.C

Neil.C Senior Stratmaster

Mar 3, 2012
    Surrey, England

Except for the scams you highlighted above. ;)

ZlurkCorzDog and TheDuck like this.

9. StratPlus97

Apr 7, 2016
    USA
    Eh? Buyer Protection's main purpose is to protect you against scams. I don't really follow what you mean.

10. Neil.C

Mar 3, 2012
    Surrey, England
    Meaning you didn't have all of that rubbish to contend with in the past.

I remember back before most people owned digital cameras and folks would post stuff with just a description on ebay.

Much more trust about then, it wasn't filled with cheap rubbish and scammers.

Sure the buyers protection is all powerful now but what about the sellers? I have been scammed a couple of times selling stuff from my wife's collection and ebay will refund straight out of your Paypal account without a by your leave.

I've spoken to many people who will not sell on there any more because of the all powerful buyers protection which usually leaves them out of pocket to unscrupulous people. :(

Now the vast majority of sellers are business Pro's, it's not the same marketplace it used to be.

ZlurkCorzDog likes this.

11. StratPlus97

Apr 7, 2016
    USA
    Oh of course. That's expected from any auction selling site that becomes that big.

12. Neil.C

Mar 3, 2012
    Surrey, England

And that's why it is no longer "what it once was".

13. StratPlus97

Apr 7, 2016
    USA
    I see. I thought you meant it was better back in the day. I was going to say....