Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Mossman Guitars

Discussion in 'Acoustic Soundboard' started by mabley123, Feb 16, 2017.

1. mabley123

mabley123 Senior Stratmaster

Oct 21, 2010
    kentucky
    Whos played them, and who owns them?

Ive known of Mossmans since 72, and have always liked them, but never bought 1.

IMHO these are some of the best guitars of their type for the $$$$, and were considered an upgrade over a Martin of their time.

They also used wood that Mossman purchased from Martin in the 60s, inlc Brazilian Rosewood.

I got the Flint Hills, which is a Dread like D28, with East Indian Rosewood Back/Sides, Ebony Bridge, Ebony Board.

Like vintage Martins, Mossman also often need neck resets over the decades, and the 1 I bought was represented a so.

I spoke with Dan Erlewine before I bought the guitar, and he told me as long as the guitar was in good shape, the neck reset was common, although not cheap, especially from Dan, but you get what you pay for, he's close to me, and he told me he knows Mossmans inside out, and almost worked for Mossman in the 70s.
    Erlewine is related to Mossman x Marriage. Stuart died in 99, and retied because of to many fumes, in 80 or so. Sold the company, but the company is now gone.
    Dans going to refret the neck, probably plane the board, and then reset it, set up, fret job ect, and it will be good to go, until I grind the frets off of it.
    Erlewine is related to Mossman x Marriage.

These guitars are also supposed to be cannons.

Anyone with pics feel free to post.
    I will get possession of the guitar on Monday.

It is in Very Good condition, and the EIR back/sides is Beautiful, and very dark.

The guitars have a 25.4 scale, like many Martins, 1 11/16th nut width, and have a Medium Slim thickness, and are made for speed. Ive heard similar to Taylor, but cant say, as Ive not played a Taylor in years, and have never played a Mossman.

If anyone saw the movie..... Bound for Glory,,,,,,, The Woodie Guthrie Story.... David Carradine used a Mossman in the movie.

Mossman Guitars | Vintage Guitar® magazine
    www.vintageguitar.comClassic Instruments

[​IMG]

Mossman Guitar Documentary, with David Carradine

legendofstuartmossman.blogspot.com

The Legend of Stuart Mossman | Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/The-Legend-of-Stuart-Mossman-251522881243

This is the 1 I bought

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. henderman

henderman Senior Stratmaster

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    Old Rosewood boomers get me every time no matter what the name. The best 1 I ever played was an old epiphone with frets more wore than I ever saw in a guitar.

I have reset an acoustic neck before, it schooled me 12 ways to Sunday and geometry and woodworking are my strong suits !

Oh it came out perfect, but I took me forever and I will not be doing it again unless it is mine or an attractive woman's Father's -

Dan Erlewine's books and vids are the only reason I was brave enough to do it, he is one of the Gurus. I watched his vids and re read the chapters till I could recite them, please tell him his teachings are appreciated.

Congrats on the new to you acoustic !

mabley123 and Uncle Bob like this.

3. newplayeroldguy

newplayeroldguy in the wind Strat-Talk Supporter

May 12, 2015
    north and east
    that looks like a work of art, bet it sounds great, too

mabley123 likes this.

4. smithstrato

smithstrato Strat-O-Master

Aug 25, 2013
    florida
    +1 on the epi..I rescued a 60"s 12 string with neck issues.
    That Mossman looks amazing. The grovers are original?

mabley123 and henderman like this.

5. Bopocaster

Bopocaster Strat-Talker

Jan 8, 2017
    Seattle
    I had a Mossman don't remember the model. It was rosewood back/sides spruce top nice guitar. Never was at a good level to get the sound out of it would like to try it now.
    Good guitars!

6. jimmyguitar

jimmyguitar Strat-Talk Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Ascot, UK
    IMG_6406.JPG I own a Mossman Great Plains and it's absolutely my favourite acoustic guitar ever. I've owned various 50's and 60's Gibsons and a couple of early 70's Martins and the Mossman leaves them in the dark. It's super loud and sounds almost piano-like. You'll love yours I'm sure.

mabley123 likes this.

7. mabley123

Oct 21, 2010
    kentucky
    jimmyguitar.... Is that a Great Plains Custom ?????? I think yours is the upgraded version of the basic Great Plains ??? Bound Headstock ??? Neck??

Yes, its all original.

I got it on Friday, and its a killer guitar, although I really don't want to play it much until the necks reset, as I'm a pounding player, and IMHO it would be negligent to keep playing it while needing repair. It is playable. I'm probably going to loosen all the strings and save up the $750 for the reset, which will be next month.
    I took it to my buddies the day I got it, and compared it to his 56 D28, and we both thought the Mossman was louder, and clearer, and had a more complex sound, but played like crap, because of the neck. You can tell its going to be a canon when its redone.

But its flawlessly built, and the wood is beautiful. As nice as any wood of its type Ive seen, and for what I have in it, I believe it would be hard to do better.

Not saying its the best, as there is no best, and Id really like to have an old Martin 00018, but I'm of the opinion of as long as a guitar is well made, intonates correctly, and is playable, your on your way to making music.

I guess I'm not really picky because when I got my 4 bolt 71 Strat, in 71, you didn't have a million neck types to choose from ect. You had what was available/popular, and you made it work, and this guitar sounds great, and will play great with work, so it really exceeds basic expectations, and Erlewine says they are FINE Guitars, so that sealed the deal.

If jimmyguitars guitar is the Great Plains Custom, its got a 3 piece Brazil Rosewood back/sides. Its structurally the same guitar as the Flint Hills but Brazil vs Indian, and extra binding. Real nice guitar.

They really took pride in the builds of these guitars. Its readily evident. Theyre also built to be played hard, so that's a + for me, and the neck has a nice fast profile.

8. jimmyguitar

jimmyguitar Strat-Talk Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Ascot, UK
    $750 for a neck reset??? That's outrageous. I took my Gibson Hummingbird to one of the UK's best acoustic luthiers and an unnoticeable neck reset cost me around £250. He repairs guitars for Clapton, Page etc.

Thanks for the info on my guitar, I'll look up the Great Plains custom!

9. mabley123

Oct 21, 2010
    kentucky
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2017

10. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

May 2, 2016
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    She sure is pretty ...congrats and enjoy

mabley123 likes this.

11. Tuffblue

Tuffblue New Member!

Sep 13, 2017
    Hong Kong
    Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and have a question about a Mossman. Mabley 123 said that if the Great Plains Custom had a 3 piece back that it would probably be Brazilian rosewood. I am looking at a Great Plains made in 1975 which is bound and has a 3 piece back. Keeping in mind that the 1975 fire depleted the Brazilian stock at the Mossman factory, is it possible that it could still be Brazilian back and sides?

Attached Files: