Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Most jangly strat pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by PRW94, Dec 1, 2017.

1. PRW94

PRW94 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 15, 2015
    AZ
    I know this question has been asked before, asking it again in 2017 to see if anything has changed. :)

I've got an '85 Tokai AST-56. That's why I lower-cased strat, although it's practically a Strat. I currently have GFS Vintage Alnico pickups in it, it's been upgraded with a Mojotone harness and I have the bridge pickup wired into the tone control.

I'm looking to do something to change things up. I toyed with making it an HSS, had my eyes on a TV Jones Classic for the humbucker, but it's only routed for single coils and I don't want to fool with routing the thing out for the humbucker to fit.

So I'm looking for jangly regular Strat pickups. I know Strats aren't going to be as jangly as a Rick (I also have one of those) or a Tele, but I want to maximize what I can get out of it because that's the kind of music I gravitate to, and the style of playing I gravitate to. (Given that I'm approaching 60 with arthritic fingers, the maple board Tokai with the soft V neck also is the easiest guitar right now for me to play either comfortably or competently). I'm an arpeggiating rhythm guitar player, basically, and if I do any lead it's along the lines of early Peter Buck with REM. Another example, think Alex Chilton with Big Star.

To get this out of the way, I never play without a compressor, ever, and I pick down near the bridge, and I use a lighter pick, and while I prefer Fender amps (currently use a Super Champ XD), I have a Vox in a box pedal. (In my dreams I'd have an AC-30 with Blues, but realistically I don't NEED one right now.) So I have the non-pickup stuff covered.

So, what pickup options would you suggest that are currently available? Or am I realistically not going to find anything better than I have now.

2. railroadman

railroadman Strat-O-Master

Feb 24, 2012
    N.J.

3. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-a-holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Those sounds - REM and Big Star - used things like hollowbodies with P90s, and 12 string electric guitars....you're not going to get that sound with a Strat.....

4. PRW94

PRW94 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 15, 2015
    AZ
    Chilton used a late '50s/early '60s Strat on #1 Record and Radio City, and a 1956 Strat on Third. There are Strats all over those records.

Guitarmageddon likes this.

5. Guitarmageddon

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Okay, my mistake - I am familiar with songs like the Ballad of El Goodo and Thirteen only.....

6. PRW94

PRW94 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 15, 2015
    AZ
    No prob.

I know a Strat ain't gonna jangle like a Rick. I just want to get janglier, because I love playing the Strat because as noted it's the most comfortable guitar for me to play right now. (I've tried Teles and they just don't feel as right. A Strat guitar just absolutely fits me every possible way.)

Does this make sense ... I love playing a Strat, but I'm not in love with the standard issue Strat sound, per se. The only quack position I use is middle/bridge, and there's not one shred of blues influence in my playing. (I hold the blues in the utmost respect, but it's not my cup of tea; I've tried just like I've tried liking liverwurst, ain't happening either place.)

I'll start the pickup suggestions ... since Chilton played Strats in that range, 57-62 Fenders? (FYI Chilton's first Strat got stolen.)

BTW, Buck played a Tele on the first couple of REM albums before switching to the Rick (I love my Rick, but it's increasingly harder for me to play). And he's actually been seen with a Strat here lately with some of his new projects. (He's in about umpteen different bands.)

7. Guitarmageddon

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    I have 57/62's in one of my Strats, and LOVE them - but to me that have the classic vintage Strat sound....not anything like a Rick etc....

@PRW94

8. PRW94

PRW94 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 15, 2015
    AZ

Perhaps a better word when talking about a Strat than jangle would be chime.

9. Guitarmageddon

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    That to me is the early late 70s Dire Straits sound....and the 57/62's nail it....

10. PRW94

PRW94 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 15, 2015
    AZ
    TY, that's kind of info I was looking for.

I've not dealt with any of the boutique winders for myself, did buy a set from David Allen for No. 1 son's Mexican Strat as Christmas gift, Tru54s which he likes.

11. PRW94

PRW94 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 15, 2015
    AZ
    Honestly, that Dire Straits sound is close to the Big Star sound on stuff like "September Gurls," just a little more chordal and with a wee bit of dirt. (That is Chilton with the '56 Strat, capoed, although there also is a mandoguitar in the mix, not a Rick 12.)

12. Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan Senior Stratmaster

I'd think an SSL-1 set would give you all the jangle you want.

Murphcaster and Guitarmageddon like this.

13. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX
    I also think 57/62s would satisfy the jangle as well as anything.

Although now that I think about it, the Pure Vintage '54s would be even better.

Murphcaster likes this.

14. gonzo

gonzo Senior Stratmaster

Dec 4, 2009
    POWDERVILLE, UTAH
    Wilde keystones.

or, Wilde Microcoils.

15. PRW94

PRW94 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 15, 2015
    AZ
    Are Keystones still available for Strats? I look at the website and it only shows Tele Keystones.

16. Fendrix

Fendrix Strat-Talk Member

Jul 19, 2017
    Manchester
    I have CS 69s and they have a lot t of chime, Ssl-1s should also be quite similar

17. PRW94

PRW94 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 15, 2015
    AZ
    Thanks for all the input folks.

FYI, my recipe for maximizing jangle with the Strat is middle pickup, picking close to bridge and, always, a compressor.

Honestly, part of this is just getting tired of GFS pickups ... not that they're bad; good stuff for the money ... and just wanting to see what else is out there. Been meaning to do this since No. 1 son upgraded to David Allens, kicked his Strat in the rear.

The jangle is just in how I approach the guitar, as far as my own musical preference and playing style. Buck is probably my guitar hero, and as noted I have a Rick; I just like playing the Strat more. (I've owned multiple Ricks over the years and always have had a love/hate relationship with them; I've held onto this one longer than any.)

18. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    Ive had those gfs vintage alnicis. They are very good.

If I were you Id look into a vox ac 15 or 30.

Or, if in a budget, look at Joyo Liverpool sound pedal.

19. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    Funny you mentioned D Allens. Those are what I replaced my Vintage alnicos with. In hindsight, Im not sure there was that much difference.

We tend to hear what we want to hear when it comes to pickups.

20. scottf

scottf Strat-Talk Member

Nov 13, 2017
    West Virginia
    Great choice. I also get great chime out of my Eric Johnson. You could put those pickups in. I also always use a compressor, (janglebox)