Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Multi effects pedal to daw...can it be done?

Discussion in 'Home Recording Studio' started by Jimi Lightning, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Senior Stratmaster

Dec 21, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    So heres the question.....

Searching on the web turns up a myriad of different answers from.....it works, the sound will suck to elctrical failure on the devices....

Music store I went to said to try it and see....

So,,, can a multi effects pedal ( like a Zoom G1Xon or 505 ) for example be hooked to a interface to the computer to record in a DAW?

Guitar- Zoom- Focusrite -Computer - DAW program.

Anynone have any thoughts on this?

Ches
    Jimi

2. Chont

Chont Senior Stratmaster

Sep 25, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. I think the zoom G1on only has a mono out so you could take the headphone out and go stereo into the analog ins of the interface and maintain the stereo FX If you wish.

I used to use my Boss GT6 into my old DIGI 001 and use Protools LE. Worked very well going in stereo

Rastus and TheDuck like this.
  3. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    I've plugged my pocket pod into my interface and recorded that with Reaper, no problems at all.

BallisticSquid and TheDuck like this.
  4. Jimi Lightning

Dec 21, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Good info so far. According to some the issue is the amp sim in the effects pedal and the voltage from the effects pedal. I Find it interesting that there is no definitive answer I could find, its almost like no one has ever figured it out before....lol

5. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    Yes. I use pedals straight into the DAW via the audio interface all the time.

TheDuck and Jimi Lightning like this.
  6. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Senior Stratmaster

Sep 4, 2015
    New Jersey
    HELIX Native is pretty boss. I use it for a lot of my silent practice and recording. It is a serious tool if used right.

You can do guitar direct or multi-FX into DAW with Native running.

7. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    Read this only if you have nothing else to do....
    DAW
    Digital(distilled) Awful Wine?

8. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Flat out: Everything works, some things work better than others, with effort and attention, you can probably get a usable result any old way. My kid and I used to use a Joyo compressor on bass straight in to the interface, I have used a good quality stereo stomp box on guitar straight in. If you go straight in on the interface just guitar > cable > interface, you will sometimes not hear all the best tone of your guitar but again, with effort, it's often usable.

Use what you have, try what you want, find good sounds.

Chont likes this.
  9. Jimi Lightning

Dec 21, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    @Dadocaster the issue is that straight in thru the Current setup I can getball the death metal blragh or ultra kleen I want but no 70s rock or 80s metal. Trust me I tried every combo I could come upmwith and 4 different guitars....
    The effects pedal solves that but was reticent to try it due to the possible electronic harm the internet was warning me of.

The music store gave me 30 days to return the Zoom as I wasnt going to buy it as I had to know if it would work or any potential harm. I Thought it was nice of them so I Picked it up. I just Thought I Would ask here before I Took the plunge

Bottom line, some good info here were its been successful so I will in in and try it.

10. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Interestingly, I own a zoom 505 and a G1on. I have something better to use but would not hesitate to use whatever I have on hand. No idea what people are talking about with regard to potential harm...

11. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2015
    Mukilteo
    I plugged my strat into my Digitech RP-360, into FL studio. Sounded pretty good.

12. StratPlus97

StratPlus97 Senior Stratmaster

Apr 7, 2016
    USA
    Hmm good question. Why not go from your amps OUT to the interface? I guess unless your amp does not have an OUT.

13. Rastus

Rastus Senior Stratmaster

Jan 1, 2014
    Australia
    Yo,

Use the headphone socket output, & then on into your computer.

You won't fry a thing.

On some equipment, using the headphone socket, activates an amp simulator, meaning that the tones you want to hear are activated, & not the super-electronic sounds.

Cheers, & have fun,

Rastus

NB. You can also try / buy stereo plug adapters for your lead out of the MFX & into your computer too.

Chont likes this.
  14. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    Yes, you can make the electrical connections and establish a functional signal path.
    There may be some differences in levels that can be easily dealt with.

My main concern is that some of the more important sound shaping components are being eliminated:
    The amplifier's tone circuitry and output section, the speaker, the microphone and most important of all the air between the speaker and mic.
    Taking these out of the equation results in a fizzy or overly clean hifi sound.
    Using a speaker 'emulator' gets you part way there but you loose the dynamic compression that occurs with a speaker especially at volume.
    IMO, it's more hassle than it's worth compared to just sticking a mic in front of a speaker. YMMV

15. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    Some of us don't have the option of micing the amp to record, we have to find other ways of doing things.

Chont, Jimi Lightning and Cerb like this.
  16. pazman6

pazman6 Strat-O-Master

I recorded much of my first CD using the SPDIF out of a Digitech Genesis 3 into a the SPDIF in of Lexicon interface. I used the amp and speaker models in the Genesis. I also went straight out of Line 6 Spider headphone out to the analog input of the same interface. I also mic'd my Ampeg VH-140c through a 4x12 for a few songs. The best sounding/tightest sounds were the ones from the Digitech. I had numerous "cork sniffers" complement my "Plexi" on the recordings before I told them the "plexi" was in a $40 used Digitech multi-effects unit from the pawn shop. I almost always record dry and add any time based effects (reverb, delay, flange, chorus) using plugins during mix down.

Thrup'ny Bit and Chont like this.
  17. RussV

RussV Senior Stratmaster

Dec 8, 2008
    UK
    Bit of an old thread now...but I've used a Zoom G1Xon, Digitech Genesis 1 and Behringer GDI21 to record guitars direct into an audio card. They all worked fine, the first two are best as they have built in compressors and noise gates which make recordings sound better.