Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Music Man 4X10... The Return of the King!

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Electgumbo, Jan 24, 2019.

1. hornpiper

hornpiper Senior Stratmaster

Apr 23, 2014
    Portland, OR
    Super cool, those old Music Man amps were/are great, sounded great, tough..Leo going back to the way they should be made..I always really liked and respected how it's apparent that you (and other guys) obviously tried to take care of and valued your gear, looks great after all those gigs. Serious working men and women with no financial safety net, who need their tools lookin as best as they could and in shape night after night.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  2. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    Wow! Looks brand new. Have fun with that right!!

abnormaltoy and Electgumbo like this.
  3. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

This is awesome

4. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 10, 2009
    Texas
    Congrats on keeping and getting it running back like new.

I read Sterling Ball once say, "We made those amps TOO good".

5. Rob Moreno

Rob Moreno Strat-O-Master

May 28, 2017
    Tokyo
    Looks fantastic as I'm sure it sounds. I've seen some used Music Man amps come up for sale in my area, sometimes at what I think are very attractive prices. Way too loud for my small apartment, but I like to dream.

6. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

I have to admit

I had a dream last night and that guitar was in it.

Gumbo, what the hell did you do last night?

You sent something out into the world and my slumbering self picked up on it.

7. Alamo

Alamo Strat-Talker

Jan 18, 2019
    Atlanta
    Awesome! I always wanted one of them. I also missed out on the Seymour Duncan convertible amps in the 80s.

8. CigBurn

CigBurn Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 22, 2014
    Same Shed Different Day
    Great story to go along with the gear EG. Would be interesting to hear what sounds you were making back in 75' with that setup.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  9. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Jun 28, 2011
    ok
    I have one of the 60-watters. You didn't miss much on that one. The 100s are more flexible, but neither model has a strong reputation for being thrown around in a van by a working musician. Although, except for a shorted speaker cord, I haven't had any problems with mine. David Hicks, who used to write the vintage amp column in Guitar Player magazine, gave it to me in trade for some legal work. So I expect he had gone through it pretty thoroughly before it came to me.

God I love 4x10s and have had at least one since 1991. I really want that MusicMan !!! Nice Nice amp.

10. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Senior Stratmaster

Jul 21, 2015
    USA
    Great story, I'd love to hear that amp. I've got a soft spot Music Man's

I had a HD130 head. Many years ago, it was given to me in non-working condition by a young guy that didn't appreciate a non-high-gain amp. Just a few bucks for an op-amp (from Radio Shack) and some new tubes and I had in an awesome clean tone machine. I'd sort-of stopped playing out so I sold it for a couple hundred bucks,,,this was before Music Man inflation :)

My other was RD112 combo. I owned it and used it for about 10 years and did a good cleanup on it in 2016

11. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Lost Planet Airman Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 26, 2010
    Scott La.
    AEBA7416-1DBC-40FF-AFEC-AEA53EBF1341.jpeg So many comments. I want to reply to everybody but I don’t think I can. But I’ll try to answer in this post.

The amp was my only amp well into the late 80’s. The slip cover was lost in some Honky Tonk a long time ago. The amp took a beating in the 80’s without it’s cover due to a heavy gigging schedule. 3 or 4 nights a week of gigs plus rehearsals. It had a big brown stain down the center of the grill cloth from a spilled gin and juice. The bottom of the tolex hung from it like a huge tongue every time you picked it up. It was beat to hell but always worked ... almost! The output tranny and the choke coil failed eventually. The tranny failure was caused by a brown out or lack of sufficient power at those Honky Tonks I mentioned earlier. Having it down for any time was always an ordeal but I was usually able to borrow a loaner while it was in the shop.

Sometime in the early 2000’s I bought some vinyl, grill cloth, knobs and corners and restored its cosmetics. MM knobs are not the same as Fender knobs but the Fender knobs are close enough. Neither is the Fender grill cloth with its blue where the MM cloth doesn’t have blue in it. But at a glance it looks good... the years in storage has given it a patina of age to it that looks correct for a amp of this age. I had the original Jensens reconed but the guy did a terrible job and they sounded bad. So I replaced them with a set of Kendrick 10’s. I still have the Jensens and may have them reconed again now that I have the guy that can do it. Any way the amp was working and sounding pretty good but got send to the storage rental some how anyway.

Well eventually I got a second MM from a guy for $100. A RD-100 1x12. Then a few more amps ... Mesa Boogie Maverick, Line6 Axsys, Soldano Decatone, Bluesbreaker RI and a few more. Geez I’m rambling now...

Ok last thing. Kenny The Amp Dude raved on and on about the unique design of the amp and how well it was built. He told me he check every component and anything out of tolerance was replaced. Which was just about every capacitor in it. He said it’s Hybrid design was as far as he was concerned still “State of the Art”. The build quality is superior too anything he’d ever see. Man this old man smile.

Ok time to order a Tuki cover for it and then play it some more. Oh I played the Hell out of it last night until the temperature in the garage got too dang cold...

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  12. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    One of the times I saw Clapton at the Capital Centre (huge indoor arena in Largo, MD) he had stacks of Music Man amps.

Johnny Winter used a couple 4x10s at the Warner Theater in DC when I saw him in the '80s.

abnormaltoy, hornpiper and Electgumbo like this.
  13. hornpiper

hornpiper Senior Stratmaster

Apr 23, 2014
    Portland, OR
    Johnny liked those and still used them until he passed.

14. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    Yes, and in his biography he described them as "loud as Hell." I'm sure they were too, since they were 120 watt amps!

abnormaltoy likes this.
  15. Electgumbo

Dec 26, 2010
    Scott La.
    Cough cough 130watts RMS...

16. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
  17. Grux

Grux Strat-Talker

May 17, 2018
    Clarksville, TN
    Awesome! Was this the hybrid with ss pre-amp and tube power amp?

18. Electgumbo

Dec 26, 2010
    Scott La.
    @Grux
    Yes ... 1 12AX7 PI and 4x EL34/6CA7 Output Stage

Grux, JustABluesGuy and abnormaltoy like this.
  19. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy BushBaby Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2013
    Tucson

He done put the gris gris on it!

20. Grux

Grux Strat-Talker

May 17, 2018
    Clarksville, TN
    I have something around the same age that was built that way...a peavey vintage 2x12. I know they made 'em in 4x10's as well. People hate the peaveys but I love mine, i mean the od sucks but the Clean is rich, full, and powerful. Its 130w (LOUD) as well and painfully heavy lol. A tech just went through mine last year and replaced pretty much every cap on it and it had some places that needed re soldering....he pretty much replaced everything. It cost me $450 but its like new now!

Electgumbo likes this.