Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Music Modernization Act signed into law

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by CigBurn, Oct 12, 2018 at 12:39 AM.

1. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Erm.....

Should we be happy about this? o_O

2. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    The GEMA idea - to keep the profit away from the musician and keep a big part for the "company".
    Money making ****ing ticks.
    I used a "t" at the start of the word not the usual two letters.

All the best,
    Robin

rafasounds, TheDuck and Rastus like this.

3. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

4. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK

5. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster

Feb 17, 2016
    New Zealand

6. fezz parka

fezz parka Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    ₩¥€£§μГ
    Well, since sales have tanked its just a way for people who used to get points on sales of records ( producers, band members who didn't have a writers share etc) to make money off of streaming and other non traditional platforms.

The record business is still trying to catch up to technology. But I think they've lost the race.

dbolt, Grux, velvet_man and 8 others like this.

7. CigBurn

CigBurn Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 22, 2014
    Same Shed Different Day
    I'm no expert and have no dog in this hunt, so my thoughts are worth exactly zip. But I do have some thoughts and guess what? You get to hear them. :)

I agree with the criticism I've seen of how the board for council will be set up, allowing the ten largest publishers to choose the four representatives for the entirety of writers. The writers should have a mechanism to choose who represents them on the council.

The CLASSICS portion of the act seems to draw a lot of criticism due to the potential for uninvolved but related (familial) parties to attach themselves to royalties. But given the long popularity life some music has had in the last fifty years I think it has value. Many artists/writers etc who produced classic works of popular music are still with us. A good portion of us still enjoy music created before 1972 and many of the creators are still out there performing them. So extending the period of time where the creators can benefit financially from their work is cool by me. If I were writing such an act I would have written it to lifetime+5 years and then had works go public domain. But that's just me.

I would also have implemented a functioning grievance process for unaffiliated artist who for various reasons have earned but not been paid royalties that does not require a team of lawyers to enforce.

Again though, totally not an expert so feel free to treat it with the complete lack of regard the comments deserve. :)

dbolt and problem-child like this.

8. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Im going to play Devils advocate here and ask ....

Does anyone actually pay for music anymore?

fattboyzz and ocean like this.

9. GuitarMechanic

GuitarMechanic Most Honored Senior Member

Doesn't seem that way does it?

10. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    I do in that I pay for streaming services. I also buy a very limited number of vinyl records.

Streaming services are dirt cheap really, you get a lot of bang for the buck. I'll happily pay a bit more if I know the money ends up where it belongs.

I don't buy songs or records electronically, the last time I looked, a record on iTunes cost as much as a CD did during its hey day. How can that be? You cut out the cost of making, distributing and selling a physical product. Sure, Apple will want a cut but surely not that much? Somehow I also doubt that the difference ends up in the pockets of the artists.

TheDuck likes this.

11. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    No. It really doesnt.
    Why deal with restrictions (Hello iTunes) and other DRM crap when you can Torrent tunes?

Im not advocating piracy, but lets face facts. The music industry has been screwing artists and consumers for decades.

Maybe karma has caught up with them at last?

12. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    I haven't illegally downloaded a single song since Spotify was introduced. I had one of the early test accounts, must have been... 2006 or so? Same goes for movies, I use both Netflix and HBO.

I believe that in general, people want to be good and do right. If the industry can come up with ways of making media available at prices people feel are fair and can afford, I believe the majority will go that route.

In the late 90's, a CD here cost $20 and that's not $20 in today's money.

Paperback Rocker and ocean like this.

13. fezz parka

fezz parka Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    ₩¥€£§μГ
    Its 50/50.

14. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    I'm not surprised but it's much more than I think is fair.

fezz parka likes this.

15. Doug B

Doug B Strat-Talker

Jun 17, 2017
    Canada

About a year ago I heard a rumour that Spotify didn't pay artists the full amount of royalties. Any truth to that ?

16. Biddlin

Biddlin Senior Stratmaster

Feb 11, 2013
    USA
    Much ado about nothing. The act was formulated and endorsed by writers publishers and DSPs. It is an attempt to properly compensate composers and publishers dealing with the new ways music is shared. No one claims perfection, but then perfection is the mortal enemy of good.

CalicoSkies and fezz parka like this.

17. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    No idea. Nothing would surpise me though. If it turns out to be true it's time to look for another streaming service.

18. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Weeee doggie Strat-Talk Supporter

yes. i actually buy cd's

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 12:21 PM

19. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    I'm sure that Spotify pay something to somebody. Who that somebody may be and what they do with the money is another kettle of fish. It's come up several times before.

fezz parka likes this.