Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

music theory is stupid and i dont need it

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by heltershelton, Sep 13, 2017.

1. heltershelton

heltershelton ROCKIN FOREVER Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    HA! i knew that would get you in here! this is a pretty cool video.

2. Working Man

Working Man Senior Stratmaster

Mar 14, 2014
    New Orleans
    Or, you could just buy one of those guitars that have the light up LED fret board. They show you everything you need to know right there in flashing red lights. Not only that, you'll look so cool standing on stage gazing intently on one of those beauties.:D

3. Groovey

Groovey Senior Stratmaster

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    I knew you were fooling, buy couldn't help myself.

Wait, they have those? I'm getting go one.

4. Bodean

Bodean smells like leather Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 23, 2014
    South Carolina

5. heltershelton

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    its called a fretlight. why spend all that time memorizing the fretboard, lol?

abnormaltoy and Working Man like this.

6. Ebidis

Ebidis Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Well, you're stupid and you... oh wait... you were joking... never mind. :oops:

Seriously, that video makes a lot of very good points. I played for about the first 15 years without learning anything, and hit a wall. Total stagnation. Then I started studying theory with a good friend of mine who was formally trained, and it opened up whole new worlds of possibilities and exploration. It increased my level of creativity by leaps and bounds.

Anyone who says music theory kills creativity has no clue what they are talking about.

7. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    At this stage of my guitar journey I'd be tickled pink if I could noodle and play some riffs. :sneaky:

8. Working Man

Working Man Senior Stratmaster

Mar 14, 2014
    New Orleans
    The other advantage is you can tilt it towards the stage and find all the lost picks on the floor.

9. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    I beg to differ on your last point.

I know a ton of theory and sometimes it gets in the way. Plenty of times it helps when others are mystified but, not always.

I had a young bandmate when I was at music school. He came up with all the coolest riffs. Because of my theory background it was easy for me to add and refine what he had done but, he really had a knack that I didnt.

ocean, Nate D, Rastus and 1 other person like this.

10. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 23, 2015
    Ghost Dog Heart
    Yeah, why ? LOLOL ?

(because it's sort of like the difference between only speaking what you
    read in a book, and learning to think and have your own ideas) (of course)

mshivy and heltershelton like this.

11. heltershelton

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    i like to compare theory to digging a hole and the tools used for digging holes.

so, im diggin a hole. i start out using a regular old shovel....does pretty good.
    get down a little bit and run into some clay.....shovel dont work so good.
    good thing i have a pick axe.
    get down below the clay and i run into some sand....regular shovel works pretty good.....but this snow shovel works better.
    below the sand is some rock.......well hey...i have dynamite.
    none of these tools work very good getting this rock out cuz im pretty deep now, but i have a pulley system and a big bucket.
    get all the rock out and now ive got water comin in......he he i have a water pump.
    i should have brought a ladder. now im screwed.

12. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    Impetuous statements
    Women with great faces
    Women with great jobs
    Women
    Single malt scotch
    Yeh
    I'm a fish...
    I yam, I yam...
    I'll bite, even when the rest are laying on the bottom

13. fezz parka

fezz parka Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

Some people have an innate ability to create something. They dont need the kit. Some people need the kit...the "instructions".

Then there are the people who use both. :D

I don't think about theory when I play. I just play. 9 times out of 10 I'll need to play it back to tell you what I did.

To explain to someone what I did, or how to play along, then that theoretical stuff comes into play.

14. heltershelton

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    i dont either....anymore, but when i first learned all the stuff at aim i had a hard time doing anything because i was thinking too much and not playing. took awhile (and several drinks) to forget all that stuff and just play.
    i totally get where youre coming from @amstratnut .

mshivy likes this.

15. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    For me it's about know what something sounds like, whether it be a song or a scale or a chord or whatever. Once I have that in my head (ears) it comes much easier. Before that, it feels like a completely mechanical exercise even if I am playing it correctly...and I don't grasp it. Not sure if it's like that for others.

16. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX
    The more I learn about theory, the more options I have available to me both for writing music and improvising. In fact, there are almost too many ideas sometimes! But that's a good problem to have.

17. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 23, 2015
    Ghost Dog Heart

It's okay, I've been in quicksand before. You don't die ;)

heltershelton likes this.

18. fezz parka

fezz parka Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

Learn the songs in the Real Book, throw in some Steely Dan, and you'll have them all in your head.

Then learn All The Things You Are and Giant Steps. Everything that follows will be like "I know that!" :D

19. mshivy

mshivy Most Honored Senior Member

Guitar players, who can think in moveable box shapes, can get away with being complete ignoramuses when it comes to theory. Meanwhile every other instrument knows it, and tons of real actual musicians have not suffered creatively one bit from knowing theory.
    The guitar is basically "cool"-
    Really simple stuff sounds great, even if it's just blues scales and barre chords.
    Knowing how to use a Lydian Dominant scale over a V chord opens up new worlds to me.

I'm just a hobbyist- I play a little for fun now, with young kids I don't have the time really. I'll play some metal stuff on the forum, it's fun, like being a teenager again.
    But part of me thinks the hero worship of basically simple guitar players is obscene- there's a real dumbing down when it comes to guitar- pentatonic players are elevated while players who broke new musical ground are forgotten.

76Burst, Stark, davidKOS and 6 others like this.

20. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    Ya think PRS is sponsoring him? he even has a Paul Reed Smith guitar strap :).

"You are never smarter by not knowing something"...pretty much nails it.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017