Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Musiclily Tuners

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by SQUIERJESUS, Nov 11, 2014.

1. SQUIERJESUS

SQUIERJESUS Strat-Talker

Oct 12, 2014
    Moore
    So there is a banner ad at the top of the forum and I figured I'd click it to give the site some ad revenue. One of the websites is musiclily. They have a set of tuners on there that look exactly like the tuners that come on the vintage modified and classic vibe Squiers for only $5.38 + $7.78 SH = $12.66.

Musiclily Vintage 6-in-line Set of 6L Guitar Tuning Keys Machine Head for Strat ST Style Guitar, Nickel

I couldn't get the musiclily website to take my payment, but luckily I found that musiclily also sells on amazon.

Amazon.com: Musiclily Nickel Vintage Style 6-in-line Tuning Key Pegs Tuners Machine Head for Strat ST Style Guitar: Musical Instruments@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/415vlKyApTL.@@AMEPARAM@@415vlKyApTL

and I found them for $9.94 + $2.70 SH = $12.14.
    Yay I saved 52cents lol.

Anyways, has anyone else ever bought these? Are they indeed the same kind of tuners on the Vintage Modified, and Classic Vibe Squiers? If you do have them, how do they hold up? I ordered 4 of them to drop in my...

2013 ICS FMT Squier Standard
    2013 ICS Squier Bullet
    2010 COS Squier Bullet
    2009 CXS Squier SE.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. nuculer terrist

nuculer terrist Senior Stratmaster

Mar 12, 2014
    center of the mind
    i think youre the guinea-pig on this one. let us know how they work? ive looked on music lily a few times but never bought anything.

3. fumbler

fumbler PhD-Stratology

Oct 22, 2009
    New Joisey!
    Well, I'm happy with the Gotoh vintage splits for around $35.

Please let us know if these are any good.

4. SQUIERJESUS

SQUIERJESUS Strat-Talker

Oct 12, 2014
    Moore
    Yes that looks to be the case, my buddy has a set of the Classic Vibe tuners he has agreed to loan me so I can do a side by side comparison of them when they come in. I will certainly let everyone know how they stack up.

5. SQUIERJESUS

SQUIERJESUS Strat-Talker

Oct 12, 2014
    Moore
    UPDATE 1: Delivery Time, Packaging, and Appearance

I placed my order for these on November 9th and they just got delivered by the USPS today on November 22nd. Only took 13 days to get them from China to doorstep. Not too shabby. They came in a bubble wrap padded 6x6 yellow envelope, and each tuner was individually packaged in small ziploc baggies to keep them from being scuffed. Musiclily also threw 4 thin guitar picks into the mix as a bonus I guess :)

A buddy of mine was kind enough to lend me his MIJ Strat that is sporting a set of Classic Vibe tuners so I could do a side by side comparison. After studying these two sets of tuners from every angle, I'm convinced they came from the same factory. They seem to be really good quality and they certainly don't feel cheap in anyway. If you guys want a good deal on some vintage tuners, I think you'll find these very acceptable. I have every confidence in these tuners just from handling them and examining them, but who knows, I could end up being completely let down. Unfortunately, I won't get around to mounting them today, but I imagine I'll have them up and running soon. After they are on, I plan on using them for a week or so before commenting on performance / stability.

I've provided some pics below to show the packaging and I've also set the musiclily tuners on top of the Classic Vibe tuners so you can get a good look at them. Hope this helps anyone deciding to buy vintage style tuners.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  6. SQUIERJESUS

SQUIERJESUS Strat-Talker

Oct 12, 2014
    Moore
    UPDATE 2: Gear Strength Test

Someone mentioned on the sister site that they had a problem with the gears breaking on a set of cheap vintage tuners they bought. I thought it might be a good idea to do a quick quality/strength test on the gears before bothering to install them and finding out the hard way too late. I figured if a tuner is cheap, and prone to break from normal use, then surely exerting as much force as my big fat sausage fingers can possibly muster would be a good test. So I made a little video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V4ppOq8pNA

7. vlxerdon

vlxerdon Strat-O-Master

Jan 31, 2013
    Coastal Georgia
    I have a set installed on a partscaster . Also own a CS50's with the vintage tuners that are stock. Visually,I see no difference. The partscaster stays in tune just fine as does the Fender. Been using them for about a year with no problems so far. At the price,if my set were to go today,I would replace them with the same. :)

8. fbunn

fbunn Strat-Talk Member

Nov 23, 2014
    Atlanta
    Nice to hear when a lower cost alternative works well ;)

9. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Senior Stratmaster

Jul 23, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    I ordered a set like in the OP. I also ordered a set of the strap locks to test.

10. SQUIERJESUS

SQUIERJESUS Strat-Talker

Oct 12, 2014
    Moore
    I had considered the black version of those for a project I'm doing...

http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/squier-strat-forum/329521-squier-standard-fmt-blackout-project.html

....but in the end I went with a set that appear to be a bit better quality and ship from the U.S.A. for the same price....

[​IMG]

Amazon.com: NEW Auto Lock String Acoustic Guitar Tuning Pegs Machine Heads Tuners Black: Musical Instruments@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/513JSu9duOL.@@AMEPARAM@@513JSu9duOL

Also, I hope you get what you want, because in the description of the tuners you bought it says they are 6R, but their picture shows a 6L.

You won't be disappointed. I installed the ones from my OP on my SE, and ICS Bullet and a COS Bullet. They are solid. I'm convinced they are the exact same tuners that come stock on the Classic Vibe series in every respect.

11. Ausquier

Ausquier Senior Stratmaster

May 14, 2010
    Melbourne
    IIRC the Classic vibe use the same tuners as the MIM classic series, Ping. I have a 50's classic series and the tuners are rock solid. I'm not convinced these are the same but I might give a set a go on my latest 60's partscaster.

BTW, are the buttons plastic or metal on the vintage tuners?

12. SQUIERJESUS

SQUIERJESUS Strat-Talker

Oct 12, 2014
    Moore
    They are metal. Identical in every way to the Classic Vibe tuners. If they had been plastic I wouldn't have bothered with the torque test posted above.

13. HotDan!

HotDan! Strat-Talker

Oct 21, 2013
    Florida
    I think I'd like to see a performance evaluation after a period of time. Something like "they're on my practice guitar and it sees 12 to 16 hours of usage per week and after 6 months...no problems'. Or, 'I put 'em on my go to and busted a gear at a gig 2 months in'. Initial impression is great but long term performance is key...

14. SQUIERJESUS

SQUIERJESUS Strat-Talker

Oct 12, 2014
    Moore
    I've been playing on them daily for 3 days shy of two months on three different guitars and they haven't given me any issues at all.

15. Ausquier

Ausquier Senior Stratmaster

May 14, 2010
    Melbourne
    I figured as much, just wanted to be sure. I've seen a few on ebay that you just can't be sure of.

16. Ahnlaashock

Jul 23, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    I ordered on the 19th, when I posted here. They arrived today. They all look just fine. Individually wrapped in plastic and then inside a ziplock, inside a ziplock. Not a trace of any problems seen. The correct six tuners were sent, with the correct end pieces.
    Nine days. This first set is going on the Samick LS 10, but if I like them, there are several other obvious choices.
    Will report back when they are on the guitar. Might be a couple of days.

17. Ahnlaashock

Jul 23, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    They are on the Samick LS-10, to replace what have to be the worst tuners I have seen yet. The install went smoothly. I removed the old traps, used super glue and toothpicks to fill the holes. I used superglue to seal the repairs, and then we started fitting the new tuners.
    I knew the Samick headstock was spaced tight enough that even the replacement traps did not fit without modification. The Musiclily tuners actually fit better than Ping traps. We did have to take half a millimeter or so off one tuner to get them to all sit down properly. Not the tuner's fault. The Samick neck is just spaced really tight.
    What did shock me came later. We put the new tuners on the neck, and then it was restrung with Super Slinky's. When I got home, it sounded like crap.
    I just got done doing a complete intonation and setup again, to get the intonation back correct. Took me two hours and completely setting the guitar up again to get the note, the 12th fret note, and the harmonic the same on all six strings again.
    Why? I don't know. It had D'Addarrio 10's on it with knock off quality traps. We put the new tuners and Super Slinky 10's back on it. Changed the entire setup. Changed the entire sound of the guitar.
    Looking for a silver lining, so at least I can say one of my guitars is actually set up properly! I don't know if I am happy with the change yet. I have to believe the string change has more to do with this than the tuners.
    The tuners are an amazing value for the price. Anyway, I put the pictures in the other thread where someone was asking about replacement tuners. Not really a lot to look at anyway.