Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

My Epiphone S-800

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by RobZ69, Dec 5, 2017.

1. RobZ69

RobZ69 Strat-Talk Member

Apr 22, 2017
    The Netherlands
    So, I finally got around to uploading --for your enjoyment & perhaps scrutiny-- some pictures of my 1987-ish Epiphone S-800. What I would call: an S-type guitar, albeit in a HSS variant.

It was, as those of you who've read my introduction post may remember, my first electric guitar.

Thirty years later, its flashy, bright, creamy, pearly white appearance has gained a rather pleasing yellowish patina, yet lost none of its appeal, despite some dents here and there (a bit like its equally well-ageing owner, really).

Its sharply pointed (slightly illegal --- shhh!) headstock has gained character and depth, as a testament to a life well-lived (read: there is a nasty chip revealing the bare wood on the back of the point of the headstock)

Its stylish black hardware has lost none of its swagger, though the metal parts have lost a lot of their original powder coating. Tuners have been replaced (not at the time of these pictures) by something a little more effective. The threading on the micro-tuners of the Epi Bennder (yes... Bennder) tremolo is hanging on for dear life, but still functional.

Its "upgrades" are currently defunct (on the pictures they are still there) and a sign of childhood folly: I actually drilled two extra holes in the body to allow for either stereo sound or remote effect control. Given the finish on the guitar and its ageing, these are -in hindsight sadly- virtually irrepairable.

Let me know what you all think, or if you know where I could get another black Epi Bennder in good condition.

So...here we go...

DSC02696.JPG

DSC02685.JPG
    DSC02680.JPG
    DSC02684.JPG

DSC02683.JPG
    DSC02709.JPG

DSC02701.JPG
    DSC02708.JPG

Bob the builder and rudos1 like this.

2. Bodean

Bodean You'll shoot your eye out kid Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 23, 2014
    South Carolina
    Sweet. Always had a soft spot for one of those. I rarely see the S-800 anymore.

3. RobZ69

RobZ69 Strat-Talk Member

Apr 22, 2017
    The Netherlands
    Thanks. In the 30+ years I've owned this, I hardly ever saw another. Not in real life and certainly not with the "Jackson" headstock.

Possibly, the slightly clunky body shape (the cutaways) is a bit 'off' for most S-type guitar lovers?
    The later "hockeystick" headstock sure did not appeal to me at all.

I had a chance to buy a 'pointy' S-900 (neck through body and more S-shaped) recently but sadly I missed out on it! (And separately I lost out on a black Bennder tremolo as well!)

Oh well... I'll keep an eye out for both...

Bodean likes this.

4. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Senior Stratmaster

Feb 11, 2010
    Valley o Sun
    Bodean and RobZ69 like this.

5. RobZ69

RobZ69 Strat-Talk Member

Apr 22, 2017
    The Netherlands

6. crawdaddy

Feb 11, 2010
    Valley o Sun
    That is too bad...I would offer to drive into the city and pick it up for you....it looks like it is for sale in a pawn shop...

And, I'm wondering if they would take $100 or maybe even $125 cash out the door for the guitar???

But then again, shipping and that darn "CITES" garbage would be a deterrent to overseas shipping.

7. RobZ69

RobZ69 Strat-Talk Member

Apr 22, 2017
    The Netherlands
    That would have been nice. Thanks for the hypothetical offer:)

Does CITES impact this kind of trading in "old" products?

8. crawdaddy

Feb 11, 2010
    Valley o Sun
    Unfortunately, yes it does. There are forms to be filled and taxes to be paid just because a 20 year old neck has rosewood on it.....

9. RobZ69

RobZ69 Strat-Talk Member

Apr 22, 2017
    The Netherlands
    That is weird in my book. It serves no purpose other than generate tax income of course. Which would probably go a long way in explaining this.
    But then again, it would not surprise me one bit if those rules were drafted by the junior intern, and approved in the last four minutes of the CITES "steerco" meeting based on a slick 2-page Powerpoint highlighting the results of the deep-dive "impact assessment" conducted by "stakeholders" via conference calls and e-mail (Kanban and Instagram, if they're really up-to-date).

Oh well... I'll live....

crawdaddy likes this.

10. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member

I bought an S400 with the hockey stick HS, simply because of the Gibson/Epiphone silver burst finish. I like it better than the FMIC silver burst, which to me barely has any transition. More like a flat gray with a black edge.

Just wanted the body, and it has Fender dimensions for the neck pocket and tremolo.

RobZ69 likes this.