Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

My music used in unusual film

Discussion in 'MyMusic Forum' started by davidKOS, Jan 13, 2018.

1. davidKOS

davidKOS Retired Performer Strat-Talk Supporter

May 28, 2012
    California
    I just discovered that some of my guitar and mandolin music was used in a rather unusual film. It begins at about :28 into the video:

2. ripgtr

ripgtr Senior Stratmaster

Feb 16, 2012
    austin
    They used it without approval or paying you?

3. moullineaux

moullineaux Strat-O-Master

Jul 11, 2009
    ATLANTA, GA
    That’s not good. My advice is not to put anything out to the public that you don’t want used by someone. Every piece of music I put out is registered with the copyright office and even that isn’t a guarantee that someone won’t use it without your permission. You should contact the people who made the video and politely suggest that they remove your music from their video or try to arrange compensation for its use. If it’s really that important to you and you want to pursue legal action then make sure you get a lawyer who specializes in copyright law. Also make sure you have time stamped originals of the tracks. This problem is rampant in the music world and regretfully unless you have enough time and money to follow up there isn’t a great deal of recourse available. To make things worse, it appears that the makers of the video aren’t from the States so that really makes it tough. Good luck and sorry to hear that again, original music is being used without permission.

4. fezz parka

fezz parka The Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

David is a music professional who has licensed music for film and TV before. He knows about licensing and such. And, I don't think he'd post it if it wasn't legit. He'd be sending a C&D letter.

Sometimes if it's a not for profit film, you'll send stuff and hope they use it. Then you count on performance royalties to give you a little income. That is if they submit a cue sheet to the PRO's. It's also free advertising. Someone could hear it and want something for another project.

I sent an entire library of music to a newsmagazine show. Gave them a gratis sync and master license, just make sure it's on the cue sheet. Only knew it was used when it aired, or when it showed up on my PRO domestic distribution. :)

Best not to jump to conclusions until you have all the facts. :)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018

5. stratobiker

stratobiker Senior Stratmaster

Sep 16, 2011
    France

6. otto6457

otto6457 Strat-O-Master

That's actually pretty cool David. The music is a nice background for the film. Is all of the music after :28 yours?

abnormaltoy and davidKOS like this.

7. davidKOS

May 28, 2012
    California
    I got paid - a surprise on my PRo statement.

Thanks for your concern but it's OK. It was covered on the backend.

Good advice.

For at least a couple more minutes. Hey, how do you argue with warrior women?

I appreciate the concern about the payment, but it was professionally covered.

It was just surprising to learn about the video. It's pretty out there and I had no idea anyone had licensed my song for it until I got paid on the latest statement.

Just to let you know all what a PRO can do for you.

8. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Nobody here ever does that. :whistling:

And thanks for the little bit if insight. :thumb:

9. tery

tery Senior Stratmaster

Jul 31, 2014
    Tennessee
    Good flick :)

10. fezz parka

fezz parka The Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

I get those all the time. A lot of the film and tv stuff I did are owned (pub and master) by the studio. So, they reuse it in another production and they don't have to tell me. If they license it to someone else, I'll get a third of the sync fee as my writer's share.
    But for in house use, I just see it on my PRO statement/check.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018

11. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX
    @davidKOS is your music available in a library? Can you enlighten us a little on the process you went through to put your music in the position to be used like the example you posted?

And congrats! Sounded great, too.

Omar, abnormaltoy and davidKOS like this.

12. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va
    I get that channel. So of course this will come on while I'm sleeping. Nice to see you getting credit when you aren't even looking for it. :thumb:

13. ripgtr

ripgtr Senior Stratmaster

Feb 16, 2012
    austin
    Ok, cool. Yea, they licensed it, just no one told you, lol. The way it was posted, I was thinking it just showed up.

Good you got paid. My wife did a film, she was SAG, the whole nine yards, she was supposed to get residuals, we used to see the movie on TV quite a bit (one of those made for TV movies they kept recycling for years) and never got paid. Long story, hollywood book keeping. SAG got on them, they sent a check once, it was like for a dollar, lol.

14. davidKOS

May 28, 2012
    California
    My music is commercially available in several forms. Unlike fezz parka, none of my music was made as part of a professional studio situation, I have been a freelancer. I have had a few commissions on spec, and some tracks and cues were used in indie films; mostly my music has been used on TV like "Pawn Stars", "American Pickers", etc.

So my music is in what are called "music libraries" and such. I've submitted tracks to various independants that work with music supervisors or have tracks for direct use to clients, and some of that has had up-front payments and some has had backend payments. I so far have had nothing big, like a theme song or featured song in a major film or network production, so I'm still essentially a "bottom feeder".

So the process is, you try to find music libraries that want music like you make, audition, and if accepted, you have your tracks available for use, and they are classified by genre, mood, instruments, etc.

more info here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_licensing

https://www.bmi.com/licensing

https://www.ascap.com/music-users

https://members.cdbaby.com/license-your-music.aspx

CD Baby distributes and sells music, and I have a CD Baby page:

https://store.cdbaby.com/Artist/DavidMBrown

15. didger

didger Senior Stratmaster

Feb 5, 2014
    Salt Lake City
    I don't watch TV and love reading my PRO statements and discovering the bizarre shows that exist and deemed my music worthy of use. For a long time, "Southern Fried Homicide" was my favorite title that showed up on there, but it was overtaken handily by "Hayate the Combat Butler."