Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

My new build project - Cigar Box Guitar m

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by Alan Crossley, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Alan Crossley

Alan Crossley Strat-Talker

Nov 20, 2018
    Republic of Ireland
    By the sounds of Hackspece, the Irsh "equivalent" is not quite the same. Similar principle, but zero technology. More like tractor repair etc.

Try your best to enjoy your Christmas at work and, at your age, you should surely be retired! :thumbd:

2. Alan Crossley

Nov 20, 2018
    Republic of Ireland

Thanks Jimi, I'll look the book up and see if i can find it.

3. Alan Crossley

Nov 20, 2018
    Republic of Ireland
    o_O

' morning Hippychip. Thank for the note. Do you know if my plan will work as I have attempted to articulate?

I guess it's a bit of trial and a lot of error o_O

4. Nerd

Nerd Strat-Talker

Apr 7, 2014
    Reading, UK
    Im moving up to Ireland tomorrow if I can retire there at the age of 38 :D

Alan Crossley likes this.
  5. hippychip

hippychip Strat-Talker

Dec 9, 2015
    Florida
    On a fretless guitar you can do whatever you want---since you are using a neck that has a 25.5" scale the bridge location is 25.5" from the nut. If you follow the simple guidelines I have described, and look at the guitars I have posted there will be far less error, and you will have a playable instrument instead of a toy!

6. Alan Crossley

Nov 20, 2018
    Republic of Ireland
    image.jpeg
    I decided to put some more Micky Mouse dots onto the neck of the guitar, because I'm bored and can't get into my shed to cut the piece of beautiful oak that I got of a neighbor who manufactures staircases. I love oak but had problems getting a piece of Maple, which would have matched the neck. I've read a bit about sound & vibration transference from one material to another, but I suspect that I am overthinking this build :thumbd::thumbd::whistling:

Jimi Lightning likes this.
  7. Alan Crossley

Nov 20, 2018
    Republic of Ireland

I don't know if you boys, girls & convertibles can open this link but I think it's the best short video film that I've seen for ages, relevant to this forum and a greeting to you all! :D Happy Christmas.

8. hippychip

hippychip Strat-Talker

Dec 9, 2015
    Florida
    I'm down to the finishing touches on my latest build---I should have it finished by Monday---25" scale, D-shape neck, and Strat/Tele string spacing. This thing is going to be a great player:)

[​IMG]

Alan Crossley and Jimi Lightning like this.
  9. Alan Crossley

Nov 20, 2018
    Republic of Ireland

It looks very good. Congratulations on your build. Are you going to be able to post some sounds when you get the guitar finished? :thumb:

10. hippychip

hippychip Strat-Talker

Dec 9, 2015
    Florida
    I will be doing a sound test before I send it off to it's new home---I'll be sure to post some samples.

11. hippychip

hippychip Strat-Talker

Dec 9, 2015
    Florida
    Sadly I was unable to record before I transferred ownership---I had to cut a new nut to get the action correct (string buzz), and I ran out of time :( The recording I did make with my phone was useless.

[​IMG]

12. Alan Crossley

Nov 20, 2018
    Republic of Ireland

Were you please with the guitar when it was finished? It looks very good, plain and simply playable.

13. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Senior Stratmaster

Dec 21, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
  14. Alan Crossley

Nov 20, 2018
    Republic of Ireland
    image.jpeg

Hello Jimi. Happy New Year to you and your family.

The build has come to a complete standstill over the holiday period. Two reasons, first that my wife was home and doesn't like sawdust in the kitchen and, secondly, the only part that I ordered is coming from China and hasn't got to me yet.

The problem is that I'm getting bored . My replica Strat Crash 1 is in Dublin, for some touch ups to the paint and almost no progress on the cigar box. I've started to mess with bits and have done some new bits to the neck and started to reinforce the box to add a bit of strength and weight. Hopefully the bridge will arrive soon, otherwise I might be tempted to use a black Tele bridge that I've got hanging around.:eek: :thumbd:

15. hippychip

hippychip Strat-Talker

Dec 9, 2015
    Florida
    I am very pleased with the guitar---it is going to an experienced player, and I am sure she will be pleased :)

16. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Senior Stratmaster

Dec 21, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    @Alan Crossley Happy belated New Year to you and your family as well. Stay patient and the parts will arrive eventually.. Last thing on any project is to substitute as it will never be what you envisioned....lol My 2 cents worth:)

17. Alan Crossley

Nov 20, 2018
    Republic of Ireland
    image.jpeg The slow progress has got me messing again with the box, which I have reinforced and cut the piece of oak within which the cup will be cut to house the neck but. I'm thinking that I need to turn the box over, otherwise, the lid won't open anymore and I'll need to keep my sandwiches in my pocket ~ not very rock & roll. :confused:

18. hippychip

hippychip Strat-Talker

Dec 9, 2015
    Florida
    More guitars for the new year---this one is a 25.5" scale 4-stringer with a Maple neck and Cherry fretboard---already have a buyer for it :)

[​IMG]

19. hippychip

hippychip Strat-Talker

Dec 9, 2015
    Florida
    CBGs are addictive---these are number 2, 3, and 4 for 2019 :)

[​IMG]

Alan Crossley and Jimi Lightning like this.
  20. Alan Crossley

Nov 20, 2018
    Republic of Ireland
    image.jpeg image.jpeg Some more progress on my build. The pre-wired pickup arrived yesterday and I have installed it as you can see. The pots and Jack input appear to be very light in weight and of questionable quality. Given the fact that this was to be a build to use up existing parts I'm going to see how they perform when the build is complete and make a decision then. If it worth upgrading I will.