Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

My Sunday "Hey, wanna jam?" thread #4 (Floydian funk)

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Ebidis, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Guitar0621

Guitar0621 Strat-Talker

May 24, 2017
    USA
    Never was the same just before or after Outland. Didn't know there was another new one.

Ebidis likes this.
  2. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    I tried using Ableton for recording as my MIDI controller is sort of integrated with it. It's confusing coming from Reaper...

Mellencaster, TheDuck, Ebidis and 2 others like this.
  3. blasphemoustrat

blasphemoustrat Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Pa
    There is some outrageous playing in this thread.

BallisticSquid, TheDuck and Ebidis like this.
  4. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Nice one Cerb. I like the rotovibe effect you used.

Cerb likes this.
  5. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    @Cerb --- Smells like the 70s in here :thumb: Cool track

Cerb and Ebidis like this.
  6. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    @Mellencaster Suh-weet opening and tone! As usual very cool licks, oozing of rock.

@TheDuck Laid back and atmospheric. Perhaps a little low in the mix I' have liked to hear you pop out more.

@Ebidis Your playing is really effective, you don't pick a while lot of notes but they land in exactly the right place. I really like your playing.

@duzie Nice tone, it feels almost cold but in a good way, it contrasts the track and the fact that you choose a somewhat minimalistic approach further enhances the effect.

@Brian H That's steaming! Amazing control and dynamics. Really cool!

@Alan L Cole Classic rock! The call/response approach is really cool and effective and the licks are tasty.

@mjark Laid back and sweet with a dreamy tone. In your hands this took a melancholic turn.

@blasphemoustrat Hard Rockin'! Whels on tarmac, gasoline and chrome. Some serious ZZ top vibes there! Nicely played!

@montemerrick Relaxed and a bit sad, sweet tone and great note choices.

More later!

7. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden

TheDuck likes this.
  8. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    Thank you :) No rotovive was hurt in this recirding. There's a little bit of wah-wah, then the track was duplicated, one was panned left and the other panned right. The right one was EQed to remove the top end and then had a phaser effect added. A.K.A. no clue what I'm doing.

Ebidis likes this.
  9. TheDuck

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Thanks. :)
    I'm still getting my ears acclimated to using monitors for mixing. What sounds great through the monitors doesn't always sound good through PC speakers or headphones. So I'm still in the learning phase.

duzie likes this.
  10. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    I have the same problem. I used to use headphones, now I use monitors. I think it's much more difficult to get the levels straight, not to mention the panning.

TheDuck likes this.
  11. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Strat-O-Master

Jan 29, 2018
    NY
    @Cerb - Cool fx on the guitar and how you achieved it. I like the delay you used as well. Cool, spacey vibe.

Cerb likes this.
  12. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    Thank you!

13. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Thank you. I consider that a great compliment. :)

Cerb likes this.
  14. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    I'm getting sick of listening to myself do the same wank over various backing tracks. Could writing a song be a way of breaking old patterns? I think I need to do that...

15. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    Good :)

16. TheDuck

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    When I am in a rut, I listen to things I normally wouldn't listen to. Even if I'm not a fan of said music, it usually opens up the block and lets me think creatively again.

Writing songs could work, or maybe create your own backing tracks?

Guitar0621, BallisticSquid and Cerb like this.
  17. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    I hear ya. To varying degrees of success I've forbidden myself from playing certain riffs when I feel like I'm beating certain ones to death.

I have found it useful to work with BTs that my usual stock of licks won't work and I'm forced to explore something different. I've surprised myself often enough with that approach.

I wrote an instrumental recently that when I was done, I thought "how the hell am I going to solo over this?". I thought it was pretty ironic that I wrote something that didn't lend itself to my soloing style. Once I took a stab at it, I realized there was still a way...which now seems obvious but was far from obvious when I started.

So yes, I think making your own BT with a chord progression that is outside your normal stuff would be helpful.

Cerb likes this.
  18. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    I watched a John Coltrane documentary on Netflix this weekend and I was reminded how horn players outline the chords using arpeggios in much of their soloing. I'm starting to look at that approach (again).

TheDuck and Cerb like this.
  19. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

Jul 15, 2015
    Maryland
    I hear myself playing things that sound the same pretty frequently. Maybe that's my "style".

I try and concentrate on playing within the changes and trying to divide up time interestingly.

Cerb likes this.
  20. Guitar0621

Guitar0621 Strat-Talker

May 24, 2017
    USA
    Learn a fairly complex solo from something you like and steal parts of it, licks and techniques. You can filter into your playing if you want to mix things up.

TheDuck likes this.