Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

N00b Wiring Question

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by McNeish, Nov 13, 2017.

1. McNeish

McNeish Strat-Talk Member

Jan 19, 2016
    UK
    New to strat wiring and thought I would seek the experts before proceeding.

Opened my 2000 Affinity Squier and found some odd wiring from the diagrams I’ve found so far.

It looks as though there is a tone cap across the middle tone pot and not the neck pot. Is this normal?

There is also a jumper from the right hand lug on the neck tone pot to the left lug on the middle t pot (the same lug as the cap)

Is this doing the same job as having the cap on the neck pot?

I’ve bought a new orange drop .022uf cap is it worth replacing the standard green cap with this? Green one looks like .033uf.

IMG_2378.JPG IMG_2376.JPG

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017

2. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    The cap is doing the same job as if it were grounded to the back of the neck tone pot because all of the pots are grounded together. Three jumper between pots allows for one cap to do three job of two.
    Too answer your question about the new cap, you're orange drop is a different value so it will change your treble cut so really tugs only thing I could tell you should be to experiment with it and see which one you like best. Just don't burn the pot you are grounding to.

3. McNeish

McNeish Strat-Talk Member

Jan 19, 2016
    UK
    Thanks, I thought that might be the case.

Next is to add the bridge PU to the middle tone pot. Am I right in saying all I do is jumper the two tabs on the 5 way?

4. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    You would be correct. It will help to tame that bridge P'up a lot. Myself, I like to just move the tone wire from three middle lug to the bridge lug and play the middle P'up wide open and control only the bridge and neck.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 11:34 AM