Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

NAD! Going to the dark-ish side

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Johnny Danger, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Strat-O-Master

Aug 28, 2017
    Denton, TX
    So I finally went ahead and bought a Katana 50. No pics because there are literally thousands of those available elsewhere.

Now I just need to get a placard for the front so I can nickname it "The Kid." But if I posted pics, it might just come up as "Ignored Member" for a lot of you.

I just really needed a light grab and go amp. I have an HRD IV that I really, really like. In fact just last week I found this amazing setting between the clean and drive channels that kind of gave me 4 "channels" in conjunction with my Tubescreamer. It sounds glorious. I'm getting basically all the sounds I want out of one OD pedal, a reverb pedal (I like Plate) and the footswitch. But it's stupid heavy and when I do play out of the house, it's overkill.

So far so good just messing around with the Katana. Easy to dial in great sounds. It's certainly not going to make me sell the HRD. I'm actually having trouble dialing in a good clean tone without much noise. It seems the clean channel requires some gain to really get any volume out of it. And the clean channel also sounds dark to me. I like a more "open" sound which is why I went with the HRD vs the Blues Jr. Right now, I seem to prefer the Crunch channel on low gain for my "clean" tone.

The only thing I'm not really digging at the moment is it feels like I need some sort of supplemental tech book to understand how this thing works. I was considering the Mustang GT and really like the app you could use. I was kind of surprised Boss didn't have a similar app for the Katana. So without the computer set up (I am in the process of setting up a PC at home, but haven't gotten it together yet and my Mac laptop is ancient) everything is being done via the panel. But then I find out you only have access to basically 9 effects out of the 50+. There are others available in Bank B, but hell if I can figure out how to get to Bank B without the computer software or the footswitch.

But the eventual access to all these effects is going to be pretty awesome. There are a lot of pedals you feel like you want to play with an explore, but are pretty sure you don't want to drop serious coin on. Well, I just got an AMP with 50+ pedals for 220 bucks. That's kind of insane when you think about it.

Once I get the computer up and going, I am really interested to seek out other people's tone presets. I guess you're limited to only 4 "channels" plus the "panel" which should honestly be more than enough. If it starts to get more use, I might look into the footswitch. Seems like a really nice setup from looking at demo videos.

cshere, carver, TheDuck and 6 others like this.
  2. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

May 2, 2016
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    I dont really know about the 50 but on the 100 hold the panel button down about 2 seconds and you change banks

Thrup'ny Bit, Bowmap and abnormaltoy like this.
  3. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster

Sep 24, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
  4. Johnny Danger

Aug 28, 2017
    Denton, TX
    I figured that bit out, but that's to get you between the CH1 and CH2 to CH3 and CH4. I guess you could do it backwards from there, meaning access those affects from 3 or 4, but it seems odd. Does that mean 1 and 2 can only access bank a effects.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  5. Johnny Danger

Aug 28, 2017
    Denton, TX
    Also, plot twist: the Tone Studio works flawlessly on my old macbook air.

TheDuck and abnormaltoy like this.
  6. Bob the builder

May 2, 2016
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    Like I said, im not sure on the 50 but the 100 can axcess the f/x on all 8 banks. I did buy a cheap laptop (under 200 new) and it let me change anything I wanted

abnormaltoy likes this.
  7. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    I wish I could 'like' this 100 times.................. just because of the amp's nickname. :p

Good luck with the deep dive. That's how I found the tones I like.

Once you get used to the Boss interface you might want to check out the FX floorboard interface. More effects options ............... like there aren't enough via the Boss interface.

Omar and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  8. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX
  9. Bowmap

Bowmap Senior Stratmaster - Really? Gold Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Where?
    Enjoy. I am still having fun with mine and only have about half the channels setup the way I like them. I leave bank B open for experimentation. I have dialed up some crazy stuff.
    I agree that is the one thing Boss did not do that I would have liked. I have my phone with me, like most folk, nearly all the time. It would have been nice to have an app like the Mustang.

10. Johnny Danger

Aug 28, 2017
    Denton, TX
    Well, I don't know what I was thinking regarding the clean channel. After monkeying around with the amp maybe 2 hours last night toying with the software, I only just thought to A/B the two amps this afternoon and I was actually able to get the clean channel to sound really close to my HRD settings. At first, I thought the clean channel on the Katana sounded "dark"but after plugging back into the HRD I realize that I didn't have an overly bright sound dialed in on that to begin with.

I was even able to set up the plate reverb on the Katana to sound close to the very expensive reverb pedal I just bought. I mean, that reverb pedal cost more than the Katana. Seriously. Seemed like a great idea at the time.

But I'm not fooling myself. It does not match it at all. The HRD just sounds full and warm. The Katana sounds like a version of it, but not exact. That's fine though. It's still almost half the weight and the people that hear me play can't tell the difference.

The really cool and addictive bit is getting to play with effects. I was able to toy with delay settings and such and got very close to a good setting for John Mayer's "Heartbreak Warfare" that I've been addicted to ever since setting up my bridge to float and learning that cool whammy trick. If I could get the foot pedal, I might even be able to dial in a lead tone to activate.

This thing is stupid fun. And seriously, 220 bucks? This is just crazy. I mean, really.

Maybe I should just rock this and my Squier CV for the rest of my playing days so I can be "one of those guys."

Nah, my AVRI '62 and HRD sound too good to sell. And the AVRI is AWESOME through the Katana.

TheDuck and Bowmap like this.
  11. Bowmap

Bowmap Senior Stratmaster - Really? Gold Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Where?
    Budget constraints and finding a 3month old Katana 100 w/ foot pedal for 3 bills put my desire for a DSL40 on hold. That warmth of a tube amp on the clean is elusive. The clean on the Katana is not bad though. I also like the brown. I have downloaded some presets. Found some nice ones. I also bought the expressions pedal. It does wah only when the effects is set to pedal wah. The rest of the time it is volume.
    I will have to check out Heartbreak Warfare.

12. Johnny Danger

Aug 28, 2017
    Denton, TX
    In a hasty decision, I decided to box up the 50 and take it back to the shop...

...so I can buy the 100.

I really want to use the footswitch for switching channels as well as effects. I just figured out last night that it doesn't work on the 100 (The GA-FC switch, not the A/B switch that does work with the 50 for channel switching). I'm having a blast with this thing. The 50 is super cool and versatile, but I want to play with more features, so they sucked me in. I will still call it "The Kid."

cshere, TheDuck, johnnymg and 2 others like this.
  13. Bob the builder

May 2, 2016
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    I grabbed the 100 just to get the fx loop. Funny thing is.. The only pedal I've been using since I got it is a RC-3 looper.

johnnymg likes this.
  14. Johnny Danger

Aug 28, 2017
    Denton, TX
    I'm hoping the line out might work well for a PA. I just really wanted the ability to switch effects on/off and figured out I couldn't do that with the 50. I did want to use my looper and was wondering how it was supposed to work when you could only loop the signal going into the amp, so an effects loop will solve that problem as well.

The only downside is that I'm gonna need to sell something for sure now... I've actually been plotting a Tele parts build, so my Nashville Tele will probably be up for sale soon.

johnnymg likes this.
  15. Bob the builder

May 2, 2016
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    Hustle up a side job for a weekend. Keep your gear

16. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    You can use a double latching footswitch for channels/banks on the 50. You can use a separate footswitch to change banks on the 100, if you don't want to hold the button on the GAFC.

johnnymg likes this.
  17. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    Yup and yup.

johnnymg and Omar like this.
  18. Johnny Danger

Aug 28, 2017
    Denton, TX
    To be clear, I don't physically need to sell it in order to buy something else. I have plenty of available funds, it's more a principle thing at this point. Besides, I'm not touching it these days and dream more about the parstcaster build. So it was going to go at some point anyway.

johnnymg and Bob the builder like this.
  19. Johnny Danger

Aug 28, 2017
    Denton, TX
    How many Katana owners here have used the acoustic function? I've got a very nice acoustic amp that collects dust. Maybe if I A/B them with my acoustic I can send that one on down the line.

20. Bob the builder

May 2, 2016
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    Somewhere in here I replied on how impressed I am with the acoustic channel. Just a little delay and reverb and my acoustic sounds fantastic. I think you'll be pretty happy with it

johnnymg likes this.