Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

NAD. My GT 100 Arrived

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by shupe13, Apr 11, 2018.

1. shupe13

shupe13 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 17, 2010
    Greenfield, IN
    First off, I’ve have now had the opportunity to own both the Katana 100 and the GT 100.

Second, Haters are gonna hate.

There are those out there that will never accept that the Katana is a great amp (for what it is), and there are those out there who will never accept that the Mustang GT is a great amp (for what it is). I’m willing to bet there are haters on both sides with zero experience with one or the other or both. A simple Gibson v Fender, Hatfield v McCoy feud. It’s all a matter of opinion.

Third, I will not drink the cool-aid.

I will say even though both are modeling amps, they’re entirely different animals. I have found that both amp’s distortion type presets are a little over exaggerated for my tastes but tweaking is easy and fun.

The GT’s clean factory presets are more pleasing to my ear than the Katana’s, but maybe that’s because I love clean Fender amps, and Fender better be able to do Fender! The Katana factory cleans were a little pitchy to me. Or too clean? Not bouncy?Just as the Mustang factory distortion presets are a little muffled to my ear but the Katana’s were slamming for the most part. I’ve already added some treble and mids to the GT where as I added bass and scooped the mids in my Katana. All tweakable my friends.

My JCM, Boogie, Twin and Dumble settings might not be yours. Doesn’t mean one amp is better than the other in my opinion. Both manufacturers installed ball park sounds. Sounds to help you find/achieve the sound in your head a little quicker.

I got the Katana because I wanted simplicity. Though the GT is simple too, it really makes me want to delve into its tonal capabilities. I absolutely love the GT’s control layout and effects.

At the moment I don’t believe one to be better than the other. I honestly think it depends on what your musical style is. No possible way either is perfect for everyone.

Can you gig them both? Both manufacturers say so. Maybe you can. I won’t. I imagine you could mike anything.

I’m going to need a lot more time with the Mustang. To be continued...

Oh, btw... “Your Mom”... she rocks! I’ll be spending a lot more time with her!! View attachment 278965 View attachment 278966

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    Lovnmesomestrat likes this.

2. Raiders757

Raiders757 Senior Stratmaster

Sep 2, 2016
    Virginia
    Happy new amp day. Hope you enjoy it.

shupe13 likes this.

3. shupe13

Feb 17, 2010
    Greenfield, IN

4. shupe13

Feb 17, 2010
    Greenfield, IN
    I just played a few Jam Tracks through the GT via Bluetooth. Absolutely awesome.

5. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 17, 2017
    Idaho
    Congrats shupe. Anything new that has to do with guitars makes it a great day. Hope you get years of enjoyment out of her.

Em53 and shupe13 like this.

6. Dzimmer1

Dzimmer1 Strat-Talk Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Illinois
    Nice comparison of the two! I’ve had the GT40 for a couple months now.. I know the capabilities are there, but I can’t get it tuned into where I really like.

Maybe you can share some of your setting preferences for the cleans that don’t completely kill override the true sound of the pups.

I’d also be interested in your settings for a Dumble!

shupe13 likes this.

7. RaySachs

RaySachs Strat-O-Master Silver Member

Jun 25, 2017
    Philly area
    Guess I’m a bit of a hater, though hate is waaay too strong a word and I don’t spend any time dwelling on it. I had both the GT40 and Katana 50. Liked the Katana a lot, didn’t like the GT40 much at all. That said, didn’t keep either long term. Just didn’t need a modeling amp and settled on a Blues Cube Hot which sounded better than either to me and I just run a few pedals in front of it.

But I did have plenty of experience with both. We all like what we like - no judgement of others either way. I hope you love the GT100 or, if not, find something else you do. And at the very least enjoy the process of figuring it out...

radd, shupe13 and Lovnmesomestrat like this.

8. shupe13

Feb 17, 2010
    Greenfield, IN
    Thanks. A couple of quick things. The Dumble, I literally meant a Dumble. Lol.

I’m honestly of the opinion that tubes are the only way to truly showcase your pickups. I may at some point recant this statement, but in my experience so far, solid state amps and effects mask everything. Or mask a lot.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018

9. Kstu

Kstu Strat-O-Master

Oct 18, 2017
    Everett, Massachusetts
    The-Kid likes this.

10. shupe13

Feb 17, 2010
    Greenfield, IN

11. shupe13

Feb 17, 2010
    Greenfield, IN
    I think people lose sight of what these amps are. Just modelers. Not be all end all amps. I look at a modeling amp as a way to discover new sounds. I respect RaySachs opinion and choices but his amp isn’t a modeling amp and for his use, that’s what my Deluxe was for.

12. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    Why did they have to name their amp the GT-100? I thought you got a Boss GT-100, which seemed odd if you already had a Katana.

I'm a fan of amp modelers, so no hate here. I gig with my Boss GT-100 plugged straight into the PA.

Happy New Amp Day To You!! :)

shupe13 likes this.

13. shupe13

Feb 17, 2010
    Greenfield, IN
    I should have stated Mustang in the title. I honestly don’t think one amp is better than the other so far.

BallisticSquid likes this.

14. ZionStrat

ZionStrat Strat-Talk Member

Oct 9, 2017
    US
    Happy new gear day!
    I'm a COSM nut- started with Roland GP10 and moved to Boss GT 10 after that- As mentioned before, fx, cleans and controls are superb- my favorite sounds are in the middle of clean blackface faded into a overblown plexi - SRV to Cliffs of dover fall in the middle of the sweep. I added an external CV pedal to control master vol.

The only thing I didn't like about the the GP100 is that the vast majority of crunched preamp models are very mid scooped- some have called this 'cocked wah' sound and it's very difficult to fix. Wish they had gone a different direction here- It's really easy to mid scoop with EQ, much, much harder to restore.

So I'm very interested in the GT100- are the over driven models full and thick?

shupe13 likes this.

15. shupe13

Feb 17, 2010
    Greenfield, IN
    IMG_2122.JPG
    The best factory setting for heavy.

16. shupe13

Feb 17, 2010
    Greenfield, IN
    The heavy tones are muffled. You definitely need to tweak them imo.

ZionStrat likes this.

17. shupe13

Feb 17, 2010
    Greenfield, IN
    So far no complaints. It’s a blast to play with. Still don’t understand the dislike for this amp.

18. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

May 2, 2016
    Cranston, Rhode Island

19. RaySachs

RaySachs Strat-O-Master Silver Member

Jun 25, 2017
    Philly area
    I think modelers can play the role of be all, end all amps if you like to use a bunch of different sounds and like to switch between them quickly and easily. Programmable presets would have been a godsend to me when I was younger and playing in band settings. And they can sound really really good - good enough to more than work in a live setting. Probably only a small percentage of the population would be able to hear the difference between a good modeling amp and a great tube amp and the difference really doesn't matter that much when it comes to making good music.

I personally came to realize that no matter how many options an amp had, I tended to find a particular sound and just stay there, just with slight variations based on switches and knobs on my guitar and occasionally switching OD on and off and very rarely adjusting the level of the OD. So, for ME, a modeler wasn't a great solution in the end. I do have a small Vox Adio with a bunch of models, but I use it mostly as a travel amp and as a set of bluetooth speakers when I'm at home. My thing with the GT40 was that the sound was OK, but I found it easier to get better sounds out of the Katana (and a Vox VT40X that I had for a while) than the GT40. I briefly had a Mustang 1 vII that I thought was easier to get good sounds out of as well. And I was attracted to the app-based interface of the GT amps, but ultimately didn't like using it once I'd gotten familiar with it. It's very good and powerful, it just wasn't to my taste. The Katana and Vox let you go as deep as you want into the computer software, but you can also operate like a "normal" amp, just using the panel settings, which I find easier and more intuitive. I didn't enjoy the manual interface of the GT40 nearly as much. Not better or worse, just my taste.

Anyway, I'm really glad you're enjoying the GT100. I never thought the GT amps were bad amps - I just preferred other options. And now I'm not really using any modeling options at all, so I probably shouldn't have even chimed in. But since I did have experience with both amps, I did...

Have fun!

-Ray

Raiders757 and shupe13 like this.

20. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Get a Valvetronix or a Roland cube Im with the other dude.

These kind of suck.

Katana SUCK Big TIME.

This isnt an Amp Modeler hate thing....These amps THe Mustang and THe Katana they suck.....IMO umbrella.