Join Strat-Talk Today

NAD

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by SachaPlusDeluxe, Feb 3, 2019.

1. SachaPlusDeluxe

SachaPlusDeluxe Strat-O-Master

So as per my Marshall woes shown in my other thread I ordered a Bugera G20 infinium to replace my DSL100H.

This isn’t my first Bugera, I had a V5 for a while as a practice amp which was a great little blues practice amp but has made way for a Blackstar HT5 which has a wider variety of sounds. My main gigging amp however is a V22 Infinium Head which I love.

So down to the reason I bought this G20 beastie my Marshall DSL100h which I use for band rehearsal had it transformer die. Out of 4 Marshall’s which I’ve had all 4 have had issues with three having major issues. So once fixed it will be sold and I wanted a replacement. As per my previous paragraph I love my V22 head and as such wanted another Bugera but with a slight difference. Enter the G20.

Build quality
    Excellent as per my V22. Only thing that lets it down without opening it up is the plastic jack socket (metal nut though) and the on and standby switches stick out too far and can get banged when transporting the amp. They are all metal though.

Sound
    Man this thing is LOUD but in a very good way. It does sound good dialled down but comes into its own when you crank it a bit.

Clean channel - great and really transparent which is a very good thing as there is only one knob for eq. The tone stack and morph control only affect the overdrive channel. The way the tone knob works has been really well thought out and honestly I don’t really miss the lack of a full tone stack. Bare in mind here that I use pedals on the clean channel when gigging so the clean channel is very important to me But I think that my V22 has a more complex harmonic richness to its clean channel BUT it also has JJ tubes in.

Overdrive channel - now, as I said, I only use the clean channel to gig with on my V22. The overdrive channel on that amp is good but nothing to write home about. The G20 though is in a different league. Likely due to the EL34s whereas the V22 has EL84s. The sound is freakin awesome. Lots and lots of overdrive goodness with beautiful touch sensitivity and has the same clarity as the clean channel but with the full tone stack and morph knob it really rocks it’s so good that when I gig it (it won’t replace the V22 though but will give my sound a different flavour) I’m going to likely try out the overdrive channel as it cleans up so well with the volume control.

Would I recommend it? For £200, Hell Yeah! And if the reliability is anything like my V22 it’ll last a good while. Only thing which let me down with the V22 were the standard valves, one of the preamp valves caused an annoying buzz. It now has JJs throughout.

Rock on Bugera you’ve done it again albeit by copying the Blackstar HT20 although not sure if this is true Regardless It sounds fantastic, especially at this price point

BA8A73A5-AC20-48D3-B5BD-D1D42197F288.jpeg

Boognish, JustABluesGuy and Groovey like this.
  2. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member

Nice! I have my fingers crossed for ya on the longevity.

SachaPlusDeluxe likes this.
  3. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Senior Stratmaster

Happy New Amp Day!

SachaPlusDeluxe likes this.
  4. SachaPlusDeluxe

UPDATE: One of the output tubes blew last night :( it's had around 3 hours use. To be fair I was expecting tube issues as my V22 had a faulty pre-amp tube but I'll be honest I wasn't expecting it so soon :(

5. esseff

esseff Strat-O-Master

No tube issues here - 12 months, although I did put JJs in straight away.
    Mine....
    IMG_20180227_154621_HHT.jpg IMG_20180227_154823_HHT.jpg

The-Kid and SachaPlusDeluxe like this.
  6. SachaPlusDeluxe

Nice! You ever had channel switching issue? Mine did it once when I was messing with it on and off to get it to kick the dodgy tube in?

PS I love the upright Marshall 2x12 cab, I didn't realise they even sold them!

7. SachaPlusDeluxe

Ok so it was just the valve. Chucked in 2 spare Marshall e34s and all is good. Well I say that but at first it wasn’t. One of my spare valves was also showing as dead! Gotta love the infinium tech on Bugeras.

The channel switching was so to me accidentally pulling the foot switch out

8. esseff

esseff Strat-O-Master

Yeah I luv the vertical 2x12. Got that first and put V30s in it, then tried a few heads till I settled on the Bug.
    It was all a bit bright at first so I put a creamback in the top spot and the JJs in the Bug n now it's perfect.

SachaPlusDeluxe and The-Kid like this.
  9. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nice.

Bugeras can be nice. This and the 333XL are really great for the price and good quality.

Two el34...isnt that more like 40-50 watts vs 20!??!

I imagine tons of clean head room at the least for a 20 watt?

How does it compare to the DSL?

10. SachaPlusDeluxe

It is LOUD! compared to the clean channel on the DSL it hasn't got the bottom end, I haven't found a lower powered head which has to be fair although my V22 comes damn close. That's the nice thing about 100w heads the clarity and tightness in the bottom end. Unfortunately the sweet spot is too loud for gigging these days :(

However the lead channel on the Bugera G20 is AMAZING!!! soooo much nicer than anything on the DSL and much better than my V22 which I gig with. It's so good I'm probably going to gig the G20 and only use that channel at some point rather than using cascading OD pedals. With the gain at 3 o'clock and the Morph knob at 11 o'clock you get incredible drive which cleans up great with the guitar volume rolled back but retains a lot of the volume :)

Normally I run pedals through the clean of an amp. The V22 clean channel is a lot better than the G20 though but I suspect that it's likely due to the G20 not having a full tone stack, it still sounds great and very transparent but I can't dial it into where it works for my pedal board. I'm going to get an eq pedal and chuck it either in the loop or on my board to compensate and see where I get too with it.

11. esseff

esseff Strat-O-Master

I really don't like shared eq which is what you get on most budget amps. That's one of the things I liked about the Bug - even tho the clean channel only has one tone knob it is better than having nothing.

Shared eq amps are really just, one-channel-at-a-time amps. I find the clean and drive channels invariably need diff eq on most amps.

12. esseff

esseff Strat-O-Master

They apparently run the el34 with very low power (or something like that) which is something Soldano has done in the past. It is supposed to give the amp a certain flavour (durian I think).
    It doesn't necessarily mean you get more headroom, and the G20 is not designed as a clean amp anyway.

13. SachaPlusDeluxe

Very good point! If I gig the G20 I'll need to use the clean as a clean only I think then kick in the drive channel although it cleans up very nicely with some nice low OD when the volume goes down so I might just try it that way :)

Aside from the sh*t valves they ship these with I'm really impressed with the G20 and the V22. I also had a V5 combo a while back which was very cool but a one trick pony and really didn't sound good with humbuckers, too muddy, for a strat amp though for blues rock practice, AWESOME!

14. SachaPlusDeluxe

UPDATE: I've now chucked in some JJ EL34s I had to replace the Marshall svetlanas. Bottom end is now tighter but whats made more of a difference is the Behringer EQ pedal I'm now running in the FX loop.

To give a bit of background, Thomann, whom I bought the amp from, confirmed that they were happy to send me replacement EL34s due to the first issue. As I had JJs on the shelf already I asked for the value of the valves in gift vouchers which they agred to and that allowed me to buy the Behringer EQ pedal, cables and some other guitar spares. I'm much happier with the clean now although the behringer does add a bit of sterility to the sound when running directly into the amp i had a lot of whistling either with the FX loop or at the front of the amp. This went away when I ran my pedal board into the amp so could have been the guitar I was using (a friend's cheap Ibanez stratalike as that was what I had on hand at the time).

With the JJs though, the lead channel is even bigger sounding, I absolutely adore it!! Honestly I could play on that channel for hours just noodling. Power chords sound huge ;) At next practice I'll see whether the channel cuts through in a band setting as the first time I tried it didn't really and I ran my pedal board in to the clean.

It always amazes me that what sounds great when you're playing on your own has no real bearing on how you'll sound in a band mix. The frequencies needed are soooo different. Suffice to say though I'm having a great time playing around with this little head :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.