Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

NCD??

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by JB74, Jun 7, 2018.

1. JB74

JB74 Strat-Talk Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Australia
    Strictly speaking it's a Cab and not an amp - that's all...

dropped the pennies on this today.
    1960ahw.jpg

Should be here in a week.

I am looking forward to 4x12 cone cry.

hornpiper, circles, jaybones and 5 others like this.

2. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Lost Planet Airman Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 26, 2010
    Scott La.
    Cool! What are you going to use for a head?

3. JB74

JB74 Strat-Talk Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Australia
    I have a couple of fender heads, a yamaha head and also thought about driving it with the twin or the JC, both of which would serve well.

I'm saving pennies for a JTM 45. However I have a friend with a jcm800 and a silver jubilee, so I may 'test' a few different heads before I decide whether the jtm is the right amp for me.

I haven't got to the point where I know exactly what tones I'll get with the different axes, so there's a learning curve - plus I don't want the head to be a one-trick pony.

could get difficult. heaven knows I might end up with something more expensive than initially planned, but for now really stoked that I could get hold of one of these.

Bob the builder and Electgumbo like this.

4. candyapple1964

candyapple1964 Senior Stratmaster

Mar 9, 2014
    Australia
    Where are you playing to get sort of volume?
    I cannot get cone cry on a champ let alone a 4x12 in the places I play !!

JB74 likes this.

5. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va
    You can induce neighbor cry as well. I like it ! :thumb:

JB74 likes this.

6. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va
    What speakers are in it ?

JB74 likes this.

7. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 17, 2017
    Here, there, everywhere....

8. JB74

JB74 Strat-Talk Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Australia
    It has celestion greenbacks in it, but they have a different resonant frequency (55Hz) to the 1960AX / TV / A / BX etc.

I live in a quiet neighbourhood too. However, I have no neighbours across the road, only an escarpment and a lot of free air. Next door neighbour is not an issue. plenty of 'isolation' and I am mindful of when I let fly at full crank.

9. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

nice cab with GREAT speakers.

Happy destruction to all living animals in a three block radius.

JB74 likes this.

10. JB74

JB74 Strat-Talk Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Australia
    Yep, It will be 'Who let the dogs out'.....
    They will all be running away lol

11. circles

circles Most Honored Senior Member

Nice cab! Bigger than my car could hold. ;)

So it was The Who who let the dogs out?

JB74 likes this.

12. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    Congrats, great cab and speakers.
    Get a Silver Jubilee and don´t look back. Best of both worlds with a stunning good clean channel.
    Best drive channel Marshall put out. From mild crunch to "modern" gain.

All the best,
    Robin

JB74 likes this.

13. JB74

JB74 Strat-Talk Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Australia
    Well it arrived at the store just after lunch, I got the call and went down with the strat and three fuzzes (sunface, cream puff and peachfuzz) and we tested a JCM800, a vox nighttrain, a H&K trilogy and a thr100 among a few, there was an mg100 head and a valvestate and a jvm410.

There was a silver jubilee combo, but we didn't piggyback it.
    the jtm and the SLP were down at the other store (they have 2, which are about 30 mins drive away)

So we pulled a few axes off the wall, an american elite tele, a 61 SG reissue, a gretsch 6129T sparklejet, and we went to town for about 3.5 hours.
    Not a bad way to break-in a 4x12, with the three of us (in between serving customers) having a great schwang.

I wasn't impressed with the JCM800, and less so with the H&K - the bottom end was way too mushy. the little night train vox was really impressive for such a small sized head, but the JVM410 was just over the top.

Not all good news though - I couldn't make a decision and I was quite lost with the head. I figure that I will have to take some more time and test them out.
    The yamaha was sort of a 'runner up in every category' - it sounds really good, and probably deserves a cab that's been broken in, rather than a brand new tight quad of cones, yet at the same time something wasn't quite 'there' - maybe it still sounded a mite flabby, or the bass control wasn't as tight as I expected.

At the end of it we loaded it (the cab) into the back of the rangie and I brought it home.
    I was not home 2 minutes and the missus sees me rolling the cab up into the garage..... I thought she was going to explode....... But she likes it.

At the moment I'm running my modded FM100 head, which I've totally reworked, and gave it another hour, tried the jazzmaster and the budokan.... whoa.

Tomorrow is testing the fuzz through the head with the budokan. It's pretty hairy as it is with the extra drive channel engaged, and with the mid push/scoop, I've been having a heap of fun with the budokan and the RG back to back testing....

I think it will either be the JTM45 or perhaps a JVM410 JS head / silver jubilee if I can get one at an OK price.
    The vintage marshall amp is the only tone I can't achieve with the existing stuff I have here....
    I did think about a supro head, but availability here is almost a zero.

Feel free to suggest heads, but I'll just put it out there that I'm not an Orange guy.... it's a sound I just can't enjoy.

Here's some silly pics of me making a stack in the lounge for ****s n giggles. The twin will go back on the floor and the head back on the cab, or maybe on top of the twin... but for now it's the "tower of power" according to SWMBO.
    IMG_7696.jpg IMG_7692.jpg IMG_7681.jpg

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018