Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Neck ID

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by yepitsadam, Dec 7, 2017.

1. yepitsadam

yepitsadam Strat-Talk Member

Nov 30, 2016
    Louisville, KY
    Hey guys and gals!

I bought this cheapo partscaster a while back for $70 because I liked the way it plays. The back just feels really nice to play and it sounds better than $70 to me. Plus, I’m pretty sure the saddles are Graphtec.
    Anyway, I’m getting some fret buzz that isn’t being fixed with truss rod or action adjustments, and I think the frets are on their last lives.
    I mostly play rhythm, and most of that is within the first 7 frets. So I was trying to decide whether or not the neck is worth doing any more work to. The worst fret buzz seems to be caused by the 4th fret, and the neck appears to be straight from what I can tell. I’m wondering if I could get by with just replacing the first 5 frets since those have the most wear and that’s where I hang out most of the time. From what I’ve read, that should cost around $50.
    My question for you is: do you think I should spend any more money on this neck or cut my losses ($70) on this guitar?
    Just looking for opinions.
    Going to try to attach some pictures...
    Additional things about this guitar: The headstock looks like it was painted at some point, and someone really tried to get the logo off. Also, the tuners are crap.

Attached Files:

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-a-holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    To me that looks like Squier from Korea neck, early 90s...the plywood body era.....cheap trapezoid tuners....

The body looks like it's from then too....so probably original together...and it's ply/laminate...

I would cut your losses if that neck needs a refret...and get a better newer neck instead of sinking up to $100 or so into that one...

3. yepitsadam

yepitsadam Strat-Talk Member

Nov 30, 2016
    Louisville, KY

Thanks! I just took the pickguard off and it’s all very cheap stuff.

What about these saddles? Are they Graphtec?

Attached Files:

4. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-a-holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Well, they're not original....they are kind of dark in your photo but they could be....usually those are a very dark kind of grey and they feel slightly rough to the touch - if they are, they are impregnated with a lubricant so might feel a bit slippery where the string passes over top....

5. down

down Strat-Talk Member

Jan 26, 2014
    Bordeaux, France
    I do agree with guitarmaggedon : the tuners looks like the ones that were on my korean squier neck. If so, you have 8mm holes instead of common 10mm.

Your neck has small differences compared to mine.. no date stamp nor varnish on the heel... but it does look close...

Obviously that's a plywood body, considering the neck pocket.

Really looks like a korean plywood squier from the early 90's.

6. Xtyfighterx

Xtyfighterx Strat-Talk Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Idaho
    Pickguard has been swapped out tho. Pics of the pickups? That will tell me pretty quick if it’s a squier 2. I have a couple of them and they are good modding platforms. If u really really like the neck and the shape and feel stick with it I love them.if not pick up something else to swap on. Classic vibe neck is prettt close to these as well.