Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Neck Materials

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by marshallb461, Nov 15, 2017.

1. brians

brians Strat-O-Master

Nov 28, 2016
    ZA
    Tbh this is becoming like " does a red car go faster than a white one?" Its choice.....have both, maple and rosewood,really don't get this big difference tone thing , if it is a good guitar, then it's a good guitar, blindfolded, i don't believe anyone can say " oh yes , that's a rosewood fretboard " just thinking its a lot of Bs, mostly comes down to what looks better for you, luv em both!

2. Borgatomic

Borgatomic Strat-Talker

Sep 30, 2017
    Maple for me.

If you want to go "faster" get the one with the racing stripe down the back like mine.

3. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

Jan 8, 2016
    philadelphia
    I prefer both. I would never pass on a guitar I liked because of the fretboard wood.
    When I purchased my latest strat, I set out to buy a maple fretboard and definitely not a sunburst.
    What did I come home with?
    A rosewood board, tobacco burst strat.
    I picked it up and it was "the one". I love when that happens.
    But my absolute favorite is my ebony board less Paul. Go figure.

Bob the builder and brians like this.

4. R00STER

R00STER Strat-Talker

Nov 21, 2016
    US
    We don't need no stinking science when we've got conjecture and speculation!

StillAlive&Well, brians and Ebidis like this.

5. That635Guy

That635Guy Strat-Talker

Oct 26, 2017
    Delaware Ohio
    My favorite is ebony, but rosewood is close. It’s still too pink for me though

6. Stratdejavu

Stratdejavu Strat-Talker

Dec 31, 2017
    Unknown
    I’m my opinion rather than saying this guitar sounds different cause has a maple neck and vise versa, I’d go back several steps and look at the big pictures and ask myself the question, what are the factors that can determine the tone/sound of my guitar. For example it makes no sense IMO to say I prefer the tone of rosewood over maple without specifying your type of pickups or the guitar body type/wood or string guage or amp setting or ...etc.

7. Uncle Fiesta

Uncle Fiesta Senior Stratmaster

I prefer maple for the look, and rosewood for the feel, but I've never noticed a difference in the sound.

Come on guys, be sensible, how can the fingerboard wood possibly affect the sound of a guitar? It's WOOD! Pickups can only hear METAL!! This is getting perilously close to that tonewood rubbish that people talk about bodies.

It's the shape of the neck that's important to the sound. That's because if a guitar feels more comfortable to you, you will play it more, and play it better. So it's you that's making the sound, the neck is merely influencing that.

marshallb461 and brians like this.

8. nutball73

nutball73 Strat-Talker

Nov 12, 2013
    Southern UK
    upload_2018-1-2_12-57-13.png

Fettmajik117 likes this.

9. Fettmajik117

Fettmajik117 Strat-Talk Member

Dec 26, 2017
    Iowa
    Depends on the maple shape. I played a fernandes maple neck on my 62 MIJ reissue for years cause it just felt better than the fat maple w/rosewood that came with it. But most generally I find rosewood boards have better rounded edges that are more comfortable to my hands.

10. marshallb461

marshallb461 Strat-Talker

Jun 14, 2017
    Texas
    Personally, I chose a gloss maple fretboard because rosewood fretboards need more maintenance eg. you need to occasionally put lemon oil on them. With maple, all you might need to do is wipe it down every once in a while to remove dirt build up.