Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Neck pocket / neck issue?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by estux, Feb 26, 2016.

1. estux

estux New Member!

Feb 26, 2016
    Spain
    Hi,

I have received an used Stratocaster American Deluxe (USA 2011), and the neck is sightly smaller than the neck pocket, 1mm more or less.

Is this ok for an USA strat? is it a QC problem? There is nothing wrong in the sound, the guitar has good sustain, but it is my first Fender USA guitar and I wasn't expecting that.

I have Tele Baja with a better neck fitting in the neck pocket.

A picture:

[​IMG]

2. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 10, 2012
    stamford, CT
    looks fine to me

does it sound good and is it fun to play?

3. estux

estux New Member!

Feb 26, 2016
    Spain
    Yeah, it needs some fret work, but it sounds good and the tuning is really stable, so I suppose that this is not causing any structural problems.

But you know, being my first strat I wanted to know from others if this could be considered "normal".

Thanks for your help albala.

4. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Beer me up Scotty Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 11, 2015
    Terra Incognito
    It's not unusual, can be the way it got out or something that later happened depending on humidity and temperatures.

I wouldn't be bothered with it unless it gets in the way of your playing.

I just found that it's weird they didn't scrape all the finish from the frets.

5. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Senior Stratmaster

Aug 30, 2015
    Massachusetts USA
    That's no big deal. I've had '70s Fenders where I could stash a pick or two in that gap.

They have to allow a little room for the finish coats, and sometimes after a few years once everything settles in it's not completely gapless. But that's not enough of a gap to worry about the neck shifting, which is the main concern with a sloppy neck pocket.

6. albala

May 10, 2012
    stamford, CT
    I appreciate these small imperfections.

It reminds me that people made these things

7. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Senior Stratmaster

May 26, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    while no big deal, and very common in vintage guitars, it IS unusual for a 2011 guitar... Made by CNC it should be no where near that distinct... that said... the neck and body will naturally expand and contract... when expanding... the neck pocket gets smaller and the neck larger resulting in a tighter fit... but when contracting, and the things DO contract this time of year, the neck pocket gets larger and the neck smaller... the results could look very much like what you see there.

rk

8. fumbler

fumbler PhD-Stratology

Oct 22, 2009
    New Joisey!
    Perhaps it just got out of the pool? :)

9. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    Totally NOT an issue!

Post a pic of the string/board alignment.

10. estux

estux New Member!

Feb 26, 2016
    Spain
    Thanks for your comments guys!

This is how the strings/board aligment looks like:

[​IMG]

11. Michael919

Michael919 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 22, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have a similar gap on my 1991 Plus and a much larger gap on my 2011 Malmsteen sig (sold).

Yes, it can be a little annoying, but so can pocket cracks that often occur when there is a snug fit. I'd rather a gap than a crack.

12. fumbler

fumbler PhD-Stratology

Oct 22, 2009
    New Joisey!
    Yep a little gap is normal. If it's too tight, then the neck pocket can crack.

Also, your string alignment looks OK-ish but maybe the high E is a little closer to the edge than the low E (could be the photo angle).

That is very easy to adjust (if you want) with the ol' Fender neck adjustment:
    1. Leave it strung to pitch
    2. Loosen the 4 neckplate screws 1/4 turn each (yes, I am telling you to do this at full string tension). You might hear a good "creak" on the last screw and the strings will go a little flat. That's the tension pulling the neck farther into the pocket. That's a GOOD thing.
    3. Tap the headstock GENTLY sideways until the strings are aligned on the sides of the neck -- you could also cheat a little and give the high E a bit more room than the low E
    4. Re-tighten neck screws til snug (don't be a gorilla).

13. estux

estux New Member!

Feb 26, 2016
    Spain
    Yes, I didn't realize that the high E strings was sightly closer to the edge than the low E until I took the photo.

It is funny how my Tele, much more cheaper than this one, has the strings perfectly aligned :) I love that guitar btw.

In any case, I have to show the guitar to my luthier because the frets need a recrown so I will let him to do any needed ajustments to the neck/body union.

fumble, I didn't know that procedure, good to know, thanks!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  14. fumbler

fumbler PhD-Stratology

Oct 22, 2009
    New Joisey!
    I consider it normal maintenance. Wood moves around. Guitars get bumped (or worse) and a bolt-on neck can shift.

You don't blame Ford when your car needs the wheels aligned, do you?

15. Silver895

Silver895 Strat-Talk Member

Feb 27, 2016
    Greece
    I wouldn't be worried about it. I've seen the same thing on a lot of guitars with bolt on necks.

16. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Senior Stratmaster

May 26, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    actually, a similar overlap was characteristic of the Broadcaster/Nocaster/Telecaster well into the 50's....

rk

bassetman likes this.
  17. garyhoos1

garyhoos1 Huffing n Puffing. Silver Member

Jan 28, 2012
    North Wales and Somerset.
    Strat talk made me paranoid about 70s strats at one time, I even filled my favourite 79 neck socket with filler, it was perfect before and still is. LOl.

IMG_1154.JPG

18. albala

May 10, 2012
    stamford, CT
    I've never seen someone use filler before

19. garyhoos1

garyhoos1 Huffing n Puffing. Silver Member

Jan 28, 2012
    North Wales and Somerset.
    There you go only on strat talk..lol.

20. ocean

ocean Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 14, 2015
    In a house
    Imo.. For a MIA deluxe I am surprised gab is that big.. But if it doesn't effect playing, I wouldn't worry about it..