Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Neck pocket / neck issue?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by estux, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Senior Stratmaster

May 26, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    a rarely discussed consideration... everyone thinks of a bad thing, or something labeled in terminology that suggests something inferior, automatically results in poorer tone.... nothing could be further from reality... Nothing, NOTHING... always results in a tonal shift in either direction consistently, every time.

example, Precision machined (whatever) as opposed to machine stamped... "precision" is always translated into something inferring superior tone, It does NOT, it ONLY means, results in different tone... If you like the sound... it's superior, if not, it sucks... same thing about words suggesting exotic processes, like Cryogenically treated,, woo hoo... big F---in' deal....

Example,. to my ears... the very expensive, precision machined exotic titanium bridges.... gotta sound great huh?? coupled with the highly praised, equally expensive Bardens... the combination has to be sonic utopia... I mean, the two coupled are gonna be pushin' 700 bux.... Man, I can't be in the same room with a guitar so configured... Sounds worse than a Hillary speech....

But.. that does not mean YOU wouldn't like it.... that doesn't make me a connoisseur of sonic superiority, or "you" a dolt... it just means I like what I like and you like what you like.

Lots of guys are playing great music on guitars with really schiddy neck-pocket/neck hook-ups... and a lotta guys playing really horrible noise on amazingly precise neck neck-pocket setups... so it's not how well a neck fits in a pocket... ever....

I keep tellin' ya... it's not the gear, it's never gonna be the gear... it will always be what "YOU" can do with whatever gear you have at your disposal... work on that.... and alllllll this other bunk, alllll the distractions about the minutiae guys wanna think impacts the sound, all the arguing about sound quality fades into the din of background noise... that's easily ignored, and/or masked by beautiful playing...

Play well and no one gives a rat's ass about any detail regarding your gear...they're there for the music.... Play poorly, and there is only one detail anyone cares about... where's the gawddammm OFF switch...

rk

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  2. Bertuscaster

Bertuscaster New Member!

Jul 11, 2018
    Spain
    I know it's late but, just I'm case someone need information about this. I've emailed Fender and here is their response:
    "Hello,
    Thanks for asking. There is a tolerance for the neck pocket. It is as follows:

No more than .018" per side, no more than .025" both sides combined. You do need some give in there or you'll have issues over time as the wood moves and breathes and expands and contracts . Hope this helps.

Regards

Brett Arney

Consumer Relations Manager|Fender Musical Instruments
    Corporation

17600 N. Perimeter Drive, Suite 100|Scottsdale, AZ 85255"

Dallaz likes this.
  3. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Senior Stratmaster

May 26, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    to put that into perspective .018 is roughly the thickness if a thick, premium business card... and the combined .018 from both sides would be .036 .. not .025 . . . and .036 is almost 1 full mm.... for some of us, that's completely unacceptable.... it's .914 of a mm for the pedantic.

rk

4. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
  5. Guitaraxe

Guitaraxe Strat-O-Master

Aug 22, 2015
    States
  6. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

Jan 8, 2016
    philadelphia
    I never even thought about a neck pocket until strat talk.
    Luckily, i have been able to return to my previous state of, not thinking about neck pockets.