Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Neck question

Discussion in 'Telecaster/Esquire Forum' started by Jacob95amstd, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Jacob95amstd

Jacob95amstd Strat-Talker

Mar 25, 2017
    Jefferson Ga
    I have a partscaster I built using an ebay paulownia body and a squier affinity 22 fret neck from a starter pack. Plays great, but the fret ends are still kinda rough after working them a little and I think it needs a level and crown as well. Should I keep this neck and put the money into having it leveled or ditch it for a MIM or USA neck? Since I dont have much in it, I almost wanna try leveling it myself but will spend a bunch on tools. Any opinions are appreciated. 20170705_212841.jpg

2. nederemer

nederemer Strat-O-Master

Oct 25, 2017
    Somerset, Kentucky, USA.
    What's the relief like? Just asking because you mention the level so I am assuming there is some buzz somewhere.

Tape off the neck at the fret ends and use a fingernail file. You can check the fret level with a straight edge.

3. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    simoncroft likes this.

4. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    ^^^ Yeah, you don't have to buy a whole bunch of stuff. I've been leveling frets for years using the same oil-stone you can sharpen chisels on, a fret file, some Wet or Dry paper and a tin of Brasso cloth. If you're not taking a lot off the top of the frets, you don't even need the fret file. While you've taking out the marks from your up-and-down the neck leveling, the abrasive you use on the frets will tent to round out the profile a little.

5. Jacob95amstd

Mar 25, 2017
    Jefferson Ga
    It has just a concave to be honest. Its more of the fretwork in question than the setup. I've tried trussrod adjustments and the action

6. nederemer

nederemer Strat-O-Master

Oct 25, 2017
    Somerset, Kentucky, USA.
    A slight concave at or near the 12th fret is desirable so nothing to worry about there.

My vote is fix it. Even if you screw it up it will be a learning experience. And I don' think you'll spend as much on the tools as you would even close to a neck. Expect to pay 300 to 500 for a MIA neck. Probably 150 to 200ish for a Mexican.

If you were going to get a neck I would go probably allparts or something like that unless you just want it to be a genuine fender neck.

Jacob95amstd likes this.

7. Jacob95amstd

Mar 25, 2017
    Jefferson Ga
    I just got a new Les Paul so the girlfriend would pitch a fit if a new neck showed up. Should I pick up a fret rocker? Any specific files?