Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Neck tone pot to bass cut

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by yepitsadam, Dec 25, 2017.

1. yepitsadam

yepitsadam Strat-Talk Member

Nov 30, 2016
    Louisville, KY
    How do I change the neck tone knob to a bass cut? Does it just take replacing the capacitor?
    Merry Christmas!

2. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    What are you trying to achieve overall? Master volume/treble/bass, or keep the other tone as a treble-bleed on the mid and have the neck only as a bass bleed?

3. yepitsadam

Nov 30, 2016
    Louisville, KY
    For my purposes, the neck pickup has too much low end at times. The middle is fine, and I already have the bridge and middle wired to the bottom tone pot.
    I’ve seen the schematics for global PTB, but I wondered if it would be easier to just convert the neck tone pot to a bass cut instead of a treble cut.

4. Vindibona1

Vindibona1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

If the pickup balance cannnot be adjusted with pickup height, you probably have the wrong pickup for your needs. The way I see it, the bass is either too loud or too muddy. I suggest you change the pickup rather than spending time and money on wiring.

5. yepitsadam

Nov 30, 2016
    Louisville, KY
    Wouldn’t it be MUCH cheaper to make a bass cut pot than to buy a new pickup? And it’s only at times that it’s too bass-y... not all the time. I have no need to take treble off the neck pickup, so I might as well be able to take some bass off.

6. Hairy Bear

Hairy Bear Strat Fumbler Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 30, 2010
    The stolen land of the Iceni
    For a bass cut filter put a capacitor in parallel with the pot, between the lug from the pickup and the lug that connects to the volume pot. No ground connection needed, that only applies to treble cut. I've done it with a 'bucker using a 500k pot and 0.0015µF cap, you'll have to experiment to find suitable values for a single coil pickup. Best of luck.

7. Vindibona1

Vindibona1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Just lower the bass side of the pickup. The other option would be a TBX pot. I'm not familiar with a bass cut pot. Haven't of heard of that type of pot before.

8. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va
    Would trying to adjust that side of the pickup height help ?

Vindibona1 likes this.
  9. yepitsadam

Nov 30, 2016
    Louisville, KY
    I’ll definitely give it a try. Thanks!

10. dean martin

dean martin Strat-Talker

Mar 15, 2011
    pgh
    Ah!
    I just tried this, but may have messed it up.
    I built a 1-pickup strat with 1 vol, 1 tone, and a 3-way switch.
    I used an esquire diagram, substituting a .005 cap for that mess that usually provides the dark setting. My cap goes from the lug on the switch to ground.
    I wanted a bass cut, but it isn't quite right. It's a little quacky.
    Sounds like I may have hooked that up incorrectly.