Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Necks under $200 MIM or All Parts

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by artjr, Sep 13, 2017.

1. artjr

artjr Strat-Talk Member

Feb 16, 2016
    North Carolina
    i had no intentions of building a parts caster , but I'm in to far now. This is what I have so far.
    Loaded vintage white Pickguard with CS Tex Specails
    Fender Candy Apple Red MIM body ( the new on they sell for $169 ) it takes a 2 3/16 tremolo.
    Fender vintage trem steel block 2 3/16 mounting with 2 1/16 string spacing. The spacing I wanted.

I ordered a Allparts RW vintage finish 10" radius from Stratophere. They screwed up so bad I will never do business with them again. That's a whole nother story.

I'm still needing a neck. I been thinking about the MIM Classic players 50's neck from fender. Is there anything wrong with these necks? They look nice and I like the specs , soft v with 9.5 radius.
    Thanks

john lavelle likes this.

2. railroadman

railroadman Strat-O-Master

Feb 24, 2012
    N.J.
    I've got a Classic '50s neck that I bought new to bolt onto a CV Tele Custom body for a Clapton/Blind Faith thing.

No complaints, whatsoever, with the neck- it's a thing of beauty. Gotta figure that the Classic Player's on the same level of quality.

3. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Beer me up Scotty Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 11, 2015
    Sweden
    No problems, what did they do? Allparts necks aren't bad I've had good one's.

4. Tim S

Tim S Strat-Talker

Dec 31, 2015
    NYS
    I have a CP50s Strat and I love the neck. FWIW, I have small hands but find this neck much more comfortable than the modern-C shape.

(I just wish they'd sell a replacement neck with this profile along with the truss rod adjustment in the headstock instead of the neck heel)

Uncle Bob likes this.

5. rolandson

rolandson Senior Stratmaster

Jul 13, 2015
    Cascadia
    The necks out of the Ensenada plant are excellent. I've the "Classic 'Series'" ...soft V @7.5". I am very happy with it.

T Guitar Floyd and john lavelle like this.

6. artjr

artjr Strat-Talk Member

Feb 16, 2016
    North Carolina
    You guys are making this to easy. I wish they did that same spec I n RW. I guess maple will look ok.

7. ryunker

ryunker Senior Stratmaster

Feb 18, 2014
    Crystal Lake, Il
    I purchased two direct from fender and love them both. A mim classic 60s and a mia deluxe. Both are superb and would do nothing else in the future.

8. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    I have an SE neck in RW with a 9.5 radius sitting right now.

9. Guy Named Sue

Feb 11, 2015
    Sweden
    V profile you mean? Cause allparts make a rosewood neck with v profile.

10. artjr

artjr Strat-Talk Member

Feb 16, 2016
    North Carolina
    yes V profile. I started this project wanting to build a 1/2 decent Strat under $500. The only reason I'm second guessing the Allparts neck, is the amount of prep and finishing that will need to go into the neck. I'm thinking the fender neck should be set and play. I hear good and bad about Allparts necks and I don't want to end up paying a tech to do a boat load of work on a budget build.

11. bigbasscat

bigbasscat Strat-Talk Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 10, 2017
    San Francisco
    Was the issue with Stratosphere or with the quality of the neck? I've bought odds and ends from Strato with no issues but was considering buying a neck from them.

12. artjr

artjr Strat-Talk Member

Feb 16, 2016
    North Carolina
    No, Stratosphere didn't send a bad product. The issue was I placed a order on there website for a neck. I checked my email that evening and it said, I ordered a Bigsby for a SG. Since it was the last thing a did on my phone I traced back my steps and it showed I ordered a neck. I emailed them because no one answers the phone after 3 pm. I told them in the email the part number for the neck and to please correct the order and call me.The next morning I got a email telling me the order was cancelled and payment was refunded. That's where the problem started. I ordered it with a prepaid gift card so my wife wouldn't know. I got the gift card for the total of the neck and shipping. After I ordered it I throw out the gift card and the reciept ( evidence ) . PayPal returned the money to the gift card. I paid for the gift card with cash. Stratosphere didn't seem to give a **** about it. I tried to remain calm and ask Stratophere could you give me some kind of discount if I order it again. I was told NO. I have been in touch with the gift card company. I may get my money back in 4 weeks

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

13. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2015
    Mukilteo
    Try USAG...you can spec it out any way you want.

jrbirdman likes this.

14. artjr

artjr Strat-Talk Member

Feb 16, 2016
    North Carolina
    I looked at USACG nice stuff only $195.The only problem is they don't finish them. I really don't want to finish a neck.

15. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2010
    The Midwest
    What's the difference between the soft V and the "modern C" from Fender?

16. rudos1

rudos1 Senior Stratmaster

Aug 16, 2013
    Boston
    Don't forget Mighty Mite they make really good necks for a good price..

rich815 likes this.

17. Guy Named Sue

Feb 11, 2015
    Sweden
    If the finishing is your problem let me ask does have to be nitro? Or poly? Cause you get it done quicker and easier with shellac or oil especially the oil will give a nice smooth surface.

18. Guy Named Sue

Feb 11, 2015
    Sweden
    The profile,the V is shaped like a boat while the C is rounded off.

19. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Strat-Talker

Jan 5, 2017
    Almost heaven
    I'd say your problem started when you tried to hide some funny business from your wife. Unless it's a gift for her.

I'm pretty sure there's a shop on e-bay that sells pre-finished USACG necks. I wish I could remember something to help you find them, but nothing comes to mind. It might have even been on Reverb, I was searching both at the time.

20. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Strat-Talker

Jan 5, 2017
    Almost heaven
    That was easier than I thought, but it's Allparts not USACG necks. Link to the shop -> https://reverb.com/shop/auroras-shop