Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Need advice on a 3 for 1 trade...

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by rockbreaker, Apr 26, 2018.

1. rockbreaker

rockbreaker Strat-O-Master

Jun 3, 2011
    Suffolk Co.
    So there was a CL add for a Custom shop 2008 Custom Classic Strat sunset orange, the guy was talking about looking for a "quantity for quality" type trade asking for possibly other high end items, etc. So I emailed a list of things I would trade and he narrowed it down to my 1977/78 hardtail strat (that I've been looking to trade for a while), my 1995 Orville Les Paul tobacco SB bone stock with original case and my TEXAS Hwy1 tele 2 tone SB ( I have two)
    I've been trying to downsize while I upgrade some gear so this would be, in my opinion, a good trade. What do you guys think? Do it?

2. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    Well, I have a '76 hardtail Strat and I don't think I'd be willing to trade it for any amount someone else would be willing to agree to. :)

Davey77 and Demon Dave like this.

3. rockbreaker

Jun 3, 2011
    Suffolk Co.
    Thanks, I guess you like your strat? I don't like large headstocks. In fact, I hate them. Why do I have that guitar? I've had it since 1982, was never my favorite.

4. slowesthand

slowesthand Senior Stratmaster

Oct 23, 2011
    NY
    I think that is way too much for you to give. If I recall correctly the Custom Classic was the lowest priced Fender Custom Shop guitar, about $2200 or so. The one I saw on EBay was just under $2k now.
    Without knowing the condition of your 1977/78, $1400-$1800? A HWY 1 Texas will sell for $700-$800 these days.
    The Orville,$400-$500?

Bellingjam and Guitarmageddon like this.

5. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-A-Holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    I'd say your 3 are much more valuable than his 1 for sure....by quite a bit!

6. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 21, 2014
    Santa Maria, CA
    I’ve never heard of a seller outright asking for a quantity for quality-type trade before. Usually it’s the othe way around. I’d probably go for it as I tend to want to trade up on my stuff as long as it was something I really wanted.

7. Dirtsquirrel

Dirtsquirrel Strat-Talk Member

I'm pretty sure your hardtail alone ought to be valued equal or higher than the Custom Classic. If you were to sell all 3 of your guitars and had cash in hand you would have a variety of higher end Custom shop strats to look at in the used market.

8. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    I wouldn't choose the large head shape if I were starting from scratch, but that's not really a very important factor in how a guitar feels and plays, is it? Trower actually did choose the CBS shape for his signature Strat, saying he likes the extra mass up there for sustain, etc..

Maybe it's just that I've had mine since I bought it second hand for $300 as a college kid, around 1978 or so.

9. Yves

Yves Senior Stratmaster

Jan 2, 2016
    London
    No way!

Demon Dave likes this.

10. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I'm not a fan of 70s Strats either, but it sounds to me like you'd be giving away far too much in that trade. A Custom Classic is basically little more than an American Standard with a Custom Shop decal on the back of the headstock - they don't tend to sell for as much as the more typical CS guitars. I'm not familiar with "sunset orange" but it sounds like it could be one one of those wacky but unpopular colours that Fender sometimes come up with.

And those Highway Ones are well thought of, aren't they? Throw in an Orville LP & you're giving away far too much. I really don't think you should do this trade, you could get more for your gear than he could.

simoncroft, Yves and kbraker like this.

11. gilmourstrat

gilmourstrat Senior Stratmaster

Oct 16, 2012
    Europe
    I wouldn't do that trade. As others pointed out, the Custom Classic is the CS "lower end". I'm sure it's a great guitar on its own right but perhaps not worth trading 3 great guitars such as you have there... If you don't like the '77 - sell it. There's a market for it I'm sure :)

Yves likes this.

12. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Strat-Talker

Mar 22, 2018
    Iowa
    That guy must think he really found a sucker...don’t be his sucker!:whistling:

Davey77, Namelyguitar and circles like this.

13. rockbreaker

Jun 3, 2011
    Suffolk Co.
    You guys are all on the ball, it's just that I'm not looking at it as a value for value trade, but more like what I invested in those three items, the Orville a got on a barter with my boss for work I did on his boat, the Texas tele (actually the only piece I'm hesitating about) I bought for $600 and the strat I got in 1981 or 82 for, I think $500 or $600 also. I do want to upgrade AND thin the herd so I figured this trade would fulfill both needs.
    Here's the add:

https://westernmass.craigslist.org/msg/6552173031.html

14. rockbreaker

Jun 3, 2011
    Suffolk Co.

15. rockbreaker

Jun 3, 2011
    Suffolk Co.
    I think i'm going to pull the Tele from the trade and go from there.

artgtr likes this.

16. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I was going to suggest that you pulled at least one of your guitars from the deal if you decided to go ahead with the trade.

17. s5tuart

s5tuart My Dad used to say.... Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 8, 2011
    Bedford, UK
    Selling the three you have will put enough money in your pocket to get a very nice CS Strat. Better than the one on offer.

Don't take the lazy way by trading, do the work and the rewards will be higher IMHO.

simoncroft and Stratoskater like this.

18. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    You may do better to sell yours individually. Then shop for what you want. .

19. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

My ‘76 hardtail is never going anywhere!!!
    <<<<<<

Not only is it my first (electric guitar and Stratocaster), it’s also my best one!