Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Need feedback on my EP mixes

Discussion in 'Home Recording Studio' started by gofmusic, Sep 18, 2018.

1. gofmusic

gofmusic Senior Stratmaster

Sep 24, 2013
    Montevideo
    Hey friends, I plan to realease an EP (just 6 songs) and I never mixed or mastered professionally so Im insecure about the consistency of the songs I recorded and mixed. It would be great if you could pop up and spot some weaknesses I might overlooked (overheard for that matter).

Thanks in advance!
    G

The playlist is here:

JustABluesGuy and s5tuart like this.

2. gofmusic

Sep 24, 2013
    Montevideo

3. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX
    Nice work!

I jumped around, but the one thing I think I can recommend is more kick in "Out". Sounds pretty dang good across the board on what I sampled, though.

gofmusic likes this.

4. stratobiker

stratobiker Senior Stratmaster

Sep 16, 2011
    France
    Sounds great! I’m loving the songs, the style.....well played and well recorded. Great arranging, excellent vocals and harmonies, great playing all round. Some of the best, freshest sounding stuff I have heard in a long time. You got a new soundcloud follower! :cool: Please let me know when your EP is released, I want a copy! :cool:

These are tiny tiny things...
    On ‘Out (it’s been a long time)’, in the guitar solo just after me ‘here’ comment....the noice coming of the pick hitting the string pops out a bit like sibliance does on a vocal track. No big deal, just noticed it.

On ‘Beatles Songs & Lullabies’, after the first vocal line at around 13 seconds the is a ‘click’....I don’t know what it is, but it’s there....just after “feel free”.....there again at 26ish seconds...it’s there 5 times...probably the same thing.

HTH. SB

gofmusic likes this.

5. gofmusic

Sep 24, 2013
    Montevideo
    Hey buddy! Nice, Im gonna check that kick in there, did u miss the click or the meat of the kick? Thank you for taking the time to check.

Hey, thanks a lot for listening to it so thoroughly! Ive noticed the pick noise in that one, its mustang with P90s that tends to do that a lot, but I could never get rid of it. I guess ive tried with a de esser and regular EQ, but couldnt make it, how would you approach it? Any suggestions are reeally welcome! Ill check the clicks in the other track, thanks a lot again, Ill follow you back on SC :)

stratobiker likes this.

6. gofmusic

Sep 24, 2013
    Montevideo
    Im releasing it on Spotify anytime soon, but ill keep the songs on soundcloud too if you dont use Spotify, :)

Found what it is, its a tom tom thats poorly EQed :) glad u pointed that out cuz its really distracting and I havent noticed it.

stratobiker likes this.

7. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Consistency is great. They sound like they are all part of a whole. You did some really interesting things with vocals and harmonies. I like the songs and the playing is good.

Is this the vibe you are after? It's kind of laid back and restrained, kind of dreamy. My personal preference is for tunes that slap you upside the head and take your lunch money. Sure would love to hear one of your mixed and mastered in an aggressive manner. But that's probably just me.

gofmusic likes this.

8. gofmusic

Sep 24, 2013
    Montevideo
    Hey man! I totally get what u say, it sounds far from the listener sometimes more than Id like to, its not on purpose tho. I need to learn how to make the rock tunes sound more in your face, and also sing more like a rocker to get that feel too. Since that is not an easy fix I wont try it on all of these songs, but it would be very helpful for future projects! maybe I can do an alternative edit for the song "out" wich is the most rocky one of the set...

If you have any advice or string for me to start pulling to get that kind of sound it would be great, hit me up! Im thinking it would have to do with guitars midrange, compressed kick and low phatt bass, along with dryer and more distorted vocals... But Id love to hear your methods!

Thanks for taking the time to listen too.

9. gofmusic

Sep 24, 2013
    Montevideo
    Sorry for doing this but need to up this ^^^^

10. Dadocaster

It was my pleasure to listen to your work and your actual mixes, your ability to get the things working together is greater than mine. Your singing is awesome and unique.

There are 2 things that you could try just to try it on for size that would not require you to remix and won't hurt anything if you decide not to use them. Forgive me if I am telling you things you already know and already did. As said, your completed mixes are better than I an accomplish.

Thing #1: Set up busses for each group/element. All drums to a buss, all guitars to a buss, vocals to a buss, bass to a buss. Compress the heck out of each buss. Smash it. The busses by themselves will not sound good. But if you mix those busses back in to the song at a low level you can make the whole mix punchier. Parallel compression is what it's called and I used it to make things more "in your face."

Thing #2: There is a mastering limiter that I like to use that is free and has presets that can make a huge difference. In the past when I had someone pro mix/master some stuff for me, when I asked, the engineer was able to make stuff more rock and roll with just changes in mastering.

Just thought of thing #3: a saturation plug in to give a little grit/noise or a bit crusher to mangle it slightly.

Here is the limiter, it's free and you can just slap it on your mix to try it out. It has presets/settings/modes that give you an idea and starting point.

http://lvcaudio.com/plugins/limited-z/

11. gofmusic

Sep 24, 2013
    Montevideo
    Man, thanks for the compliments, the thing is Ive practiced a lot and watched a ton of YT tutorials and what not haha. Im a total nerd by now and love talking mixing techniques and such so if there is sth I can help you with (just like you are helping me here now) just hit me up.

#1: I normally use buses for drums, guitars, vocals (sometimes I separate backing vocals from lead vocals), and often for the bass too (if I double track it), and for toms too. I never tried parallel compression in every bus tho, Ive tried it to bring up the drums or just the kick, or the lead vocals, or the bass, but I can try that for sure!!

#2: I used Ozone 8 for the mastering, and just used the maximizer that comes with it. I tried not to smash the tracks towards the ceiling a lot cuz I read somewhere that Spotify applies its own limiter to the songs to get it to sound even (kinda like radio stations), so I wanted to leave some room for that. I get however that you are suggesting the limiter as a musical element more than a level optimizer... so I may try cranking it up more and see what happens. And THANKS for the limiter you shared, already downloaded it, testing it soon!

I have a couple saturation plugins too, guess I may try n saturate the vocals a bit or make a parallel saturation too...(a more agressive one, I believe I already did that a bit).

Nowadays when everything moves so fast and everyone is minding their own business is really nice to get this kind of feedback, so once again thank man!

12. Dadocaster

Yeah, well, I'm a writing/recording nerd myself.

I find some of the Izotope stuff to sound a bit overly clean. But I am a fan of Butch Vig, so that could explain it. :D

13. gofmusic

Sep 24, 2013
    Montevideo
    It does sound real clean! Im considering getting any waves bundle with the L series limitters but im gonna try the one you shared first!

Also Ozone 8 has some "vintage compressor" too, I guess that may sound a bit less transparent when crushed, still have to test it. Im a fan of all kinds of mixes. Lately Ive been digging Arctic Monkeys a lot, id love to get some of those sounds, same with The Black Keys.

And also, all guitars were recorded straight to the PC and processed with Guitar Rig so the lack of real amps into a mic doesnt help the tracks to grow a proper pair I guess hehe.

14. Dadocaster

YEAH, YEAH, YEAH Arctic Monkeys have some wonderful production. The Black Keys are very odd for me: a lot of their songs do nothing for me, but a few of their songs just kill me and especially the production.

Also: For some of what you are doing: Cake

gofmusic likes this.

15. gofmusic

Sep 24, 2013
    Montevideo
    @stratobiker @Paperback Rocker @Dadocaster

I tried to address all your comments in the final mixes and I guess it made my songs sound better, so thank you all. Here are the newer versions of the songs Out and Beatles Songs & Lullabies.

Tried my best to remove the sibilance from Outs main guitar, but i couldnt completely... so, there it is.

Thank you all again!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    stratobiker and Paperback Rocker like this.

16. pazman6

pazman6 Strat-O-Master

Nice tracks. Very consistent in sound with one exception that stood out to me. The snare on Yellow Bellied Bird seemed to be much more 'ringy' with more noticeable reverb. The other snares seemed to be pretty consistent. Not a huge deal though. When I think of classic albums that stand the test of time they seem to have very consistent sound throughout - Van Halen I, Boston, GnR Appetite, British Steel by Priest, etc. Maybe they were all recorded over a short period. My personal stuff is all over the map because I recorded it over a 5 year period. On my next one, my goal is to try to get that consistency of sound from song to song. You are pretty close to that on your tracks.

gofmusic likes this.

17. gofmusic

Sep 24, 2013
    Montevideo
    Thanks for your feedback man. I agree with you about the consistency in classic albums too, I tried to do that in these songs with the sole exception of that song u pointed out. I used mainly the same core drumkit for every other song but in that particular one I used a Jazz drumkit, cuz the rocky drums didnt cut it for me in that slow song. If listened closely, the kick drum is also different sounding. Having programmed all the drums into Addictive Drums helped a lot with consistency :) same with guitars with Guitar Rig.

Thanks for popping by!

stratobiker and pazman6 like this.

18. stratobiker

Sep 16, 2011
    France
    Great job! The guitar sounds much much better! The click noises are gone completely!

Coming back to your earlier reply to me when you asked how I might try and get rid of the sibliance.....I would have tried a de-esser too. I would have also tried different compression, and probably tried a gate. How did you do it?

Once again, well done, and Good Luck with your EP. :cool:

gofmusic likes this.

19. gofmusic

Sep 24, 2013
    Montevideo
    Hi! I tried a few things. First I tried a de-esser but I was still listening the squeaking. Then I just looked up the waveforms spectrogram and noticed that for every squeaky sound there were 2 main offender frequencies, in total kinda 4 or 5 offenders during the solos. So first I tried Ozone Dynamic EQ to tame those freq only when they presented peaks. That wasnt enough, so finally I took a regular EQ and notched out every freq throughout the solos and hoped for it to not sound dull lol. I think I added a high shelf to compensate a bit.

And the clicks on the other song, I just replaced the tom sample I was using on addictive drums and it was gone.

Those were great pieces of advice and feedback man. The tunes are already submitted to the stores. Hopefully they will be out on September 28th.

Cheers!

stratobiker likes this.

20. stratobiker

Sep 16, 2011
    France
    I was happy I could help. I know how hard it can be to be objective when mixing your own tunes. You did a great job!

Please consider putting your EP on bandcamp. I believe the artist gets a much better return on sales there.

SB

gofmusic likes this.