Join Strat-Talk Today

Need help for a sound problem on my Strat !

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by BigNorm, Mar 25, 2019.

1. BigNorm

BigNorm Senior Stratmaster

I have a 1997 Standard american Strat with fat 50's pickups ( not original of course )... My problem is the 2 small strings ( High E and B ) are about 20% lower in volume than the rest of the guitar strings... First time in 30 years I ever see that... Are the pickups defect or what ? I played a lot with the height of the pickups, but the problem remains at least on neck and middle pickups. On the bridge pickups, it sounds better. Those pickups were in the guitar when I bought it... I removed the pickguard and with what I saw, (looked on the internet), they really are Fat 50's... any similar experience somebody ? something I've notice... The strings are not ligned up with the poles...but I think it's not the only Strat I've seen like this..
    Maybe the original pickups were aligned...I don't really know ? I joined a picture to let you see the alignement..

DSC00120.JPG

2. nederemer

nederemer Senior Stratmaster

Looks like the poles are pushed down into the pickup. You might be able to push them back up depending on the type of pickups, or you might just need to raise that side of the pickups, however - that will probably also increase the volume of the G string as well

johnnymg and Alan Crossley like this.
  3. integra evan

integra evan Strat-Talker

First things first: how are the condition of the strings?

Yves and BigNorm like this.
  4. Alan Crossley

Alan Crossley Senior Stratmaster

How long have you had the guitar and, has the problem always been there?

Yves and BigNorm like this.
  5. Buster Jingles

Buster Jingles Strat-Talk Member

Put on new strings, if the problem persists have the poles raised, they can be pushed up from the bottom on most strat pickups, before doing that check the soldering, sometimes bad soldering can act as a filter. Good luck!

BigNorm likes this.
  6. BigNorm

Brand new...

integra evan likes this.
  7. BigNorm

It's only 2 weeks I bought it...did'nt notice at first when playing alone...but when I had to do a solo with the band I noticed I was missing volume, and when touching the G string it suddenly came loud enough..

8. BigNorm

Yes it's exactly what happenned....

9. Alan Crossley

Alan Crossley Senior Stratmaster

If you haven’t already, why not just pop it into your local Guitar shop and ask them what they think. The strings don’t look to me to be correctly sat over the poles. The poles don’t look alighted correctly and the poles are very deeply down into the pick guard.

It almost looks like the pick guard is a replacement which doesn’t fit the guitar correctly. I doubt if it’s a big problem, just need to have someone to have a quick look. Good luck :D

BigNorm likes this.
  10. BigNorm

Thanks Alen, I will check that up.. I was thinking something like this also...

11. Cerb

Cerb Most Honored Senior Member

In addition to the advice you already got, spray some contact cleaner in you pickup selector switch and move it around a couple of times.

I know it sounds strange and you'd expect poor connection or dirt to affect the sound from all the strings the same but that doesn't seem to always be the case.

Yves, BigNorm and Alan Crossley like this.
  12. Yves

Yves Senior Stratmaster

Though in comparison here is my strat with SCN pups. Poles are just a tad below the plastic level and they sound fine.

IMG_20190325_204728.jpg

BigNorm likes this.
  13. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Take a paperclip or some other small steel object and see if you have consistent magnetic pull from all of the pole pieces. I expect you have all the same, but I have seen people with damaged magnetic poles before -- just a recharge fixed it.

Assuming the magnet test is ok, I'd raise the high-e side of the pickups until you get volume parity to the other strings. That's the easy fix.

I have seen some string sets have weak b and e signal strength, so what is the brand? Have you used that brand and size before on other guitars?

Pushing up the magnet poles can work in theory but sometimes pickups get broken when doing that. So proceed with caution.

BigNorm, RobZ69 and Yves like this.
  14. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Is this consistent? If you touch the G string, does the volume increase on the B and E when you are doing it??

BigNorm likes this.
  15. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Turn the treble up on your amp.

BigNorm likes this.
  16. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Senior Stratmaster

Let's see a pic of the pickups from a side view.I always set my pickups where the E and A strings are angled lower and the high E and B are higher up to match up volume-wise.Here is how I set mine up:

19141687_10209578323603141_1145404910_n.jpg

Thrup'ny Bit, BigNorm and RobZ69 like this.
  17. kurher

kurher Strat-Talk Member

Both the M+N pickups look off on the treble side as well as the neck. This happens usually because the American Standard bridge has narrow string spacing but I'm not sure about the pickups. Someone here with a similar stock guitar might chime in and share his experience.

BigNorm likes this.
  18. BigNorm

No, it's consistent...all the strings have always a straight volume, but E & B are sounding 20% less...

19. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

Is your neck aligned properly? Looks like the pickguard goes past the body in the pocket and there appears to be space between the low E side of the neck and the body. Also, I’ve had pickups that use different magnets in the same pickup, and the treble side was weaker (V mods) and I had to raise the high E side of the pickups.

20. BigNorm

I did that...and the G string still sound louder, probably because it get higher also...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.