Join Strat-Talk Today

Need help for a sound problem on my Strat !

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by BigNorm, Mar 25, 2019.

1. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

Looks like on The neck pickup the E and B are out of alignment with the respective pole pieces. Ideally each string should pass over the center of the pole piece. A little deviation is normal, but looks like yours are pretty off, especially the E. Could be my cellphone too.

BigNorm likes this.
  2. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Senior Stratmaster

I think that's just the nature of vintage 1950s/60s Strat pickups where the G polepiece was set at that height.I remember the American series Strats from 2000-08 had a lowered G polepiece to remedy what they termed the 'G string warble'.I'm used to vintage Strat pickups so I have no issues with them including my 61 Thinskin Strat which has Fat 50s.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    CyFan4036 and BigNorm like this.
  3. BigNorm

BigNorm Senior Stratmaster

thank you all for your good advices. I'll try to correct that situation this week and I'll let you know the result ASAP.

4. inra311

inra311 Strat-Talker

I think this is normal. The 'pushed-in' magnets for the b and high e string are simply shorter. This is called staggering and is the case on all vintage-style pickups. You could check that on the bottom side of the pickup where all magnets are likely flat with the bobbin. If two were pushed-in they would protrude on the bottom.

Pushing pole pieces in or out often works but it might also destroy the pickup (when the hair-thin pickup wire breaks). Pushing the outer (e strings) magnets should be avoided in all cases as the pickup wire goes around them and will very likely break.

The volume loss and the misalignment you observed are more or less normal. The problem is worse with 09 string sets which jump from a 016 g string to a thin 011 and 09 string (compared to 017, 013, 010 on most 010 sets). The old Fender F150 helped as it had 015, 013, 010.

You might adjust the pickups lower. With a bigger distance to the strings the volume difference between different strings should become smaller. And you can adjust the g string higher.

5. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Lower the bass side of the pickup until the volume evens out.

Paperback Rocker and BigNorm like this.
  6. BigNorm

Thanks...good advice and infos...I'll try that...

7. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Strat-Talk Supporter

If you can remove the pickguard and take a good photo of the wiring for us to see that would help. It might be that whoever installed the Fat 50s muckered things up with shoddy soldering on the 5-way switch, etc.

BigNorm and guitarjack like this.
  8. Supernut

Supernut Strat-Talk Member

I have a set of custom shop texas specials that have that vintage stagger. I had them on a guitar with a 16" fretboard radius. Impossible to get even volume. I don't know what radius you have but I had to use pickups with flatter pole pieces to fix my problem.

BigNorm likes this.
  9. guitarjack

guitarjack Strat-Talk Member

+1 on checking the wiring. I once had a strat where the sound of all the strings were muffled and had low volume due to bad soldering and it was gone after rewiring the all electronics.

BigNorm likes this.
  10. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Strat-O-Master

This is a common complaint about Fat 50’s. Those pole pieces are right where Fender wanted them, same as my Strat. That’s the way to set them up but with Fat 50’s the angle needs to be a bit more extreme to the high e. It’s a setup issue and can easily be cured by playing with it or taking it to a guitar shop.

BigNorm likes this.
  11. BigNorm

thanks everybody... The problem is almost settled. At least a lot less noticeable now. I've adjusted patiently the height of the pickups, and it's 90% better now... on the bass side they are praticly flat with the pickguard, and on the high side about 1/8"high. It's the best I could obtained for now, and it's really better.

CyFan4036 and JustABluesGuy like this.
  12. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Cool beans!

I had the same string imbalance issue with my Am Std and 'solved' it by lowering the G (mostly) and B (slightly) poles. Did the same on a set of Fat 60's.

BigNorm likes this.
  13. Sonic Les

Sonic Les Strat-Talk Member

A common complaint is that those offset saddles drift to the left pulling the strings out of line with the poll piece,s . Have you tried lowering the high E and B saddle to get closer to the pick up as raising the whole pickup will unfortunately raise the G at the same time .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.