Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Need help identifying the pickups in a "New to me" Strat Plus

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by Dr Honda, Feb 14, 2018 at 11:52 AM.

1. Dr Honda

Dr Honda Strat-Talk Member

Feb 7, 2018
    Pitt PA
    Hi Guys,

It's been a while since I've owned a Strat... and after Xmas, I found myself wanting one again. SO... after watching CL for a few weeks, I came across a SUPPER clean Strat plus. The guy really didn't know what it was, and he just needed some $$.

After getting it home, and taking it apart... everything checked out. (date on the neck/body, roller nut, AM trem, locking tuners, hipshot) It's a 1996 strat plus and everything is correct other than the pickups/pick guard. But, looking it over, I believe it was a drop in from another USA strat. I know it should have had the gold lace, but as you can see.... it's not. I dug around a little, but nothing really matched up.

Anyway... here's the info.

Stagered Alnico Poles, not really beveled.
    Paper top and bottom. (not a plastic center)
    reverse wound mid, with yellow wire.
    Fabric wires, even on the switch and pots.
    Neck 5.80k ohm, Mid 5.90k ohm, Bridge 7.38k
    Wires under the cover are copper colored.

It sounds nice... and at first I thought they may have been "Fat 50's" but the resistance doesn't match. I'm probably going to put Gold Lace back into it... but that will be later. (can't keep spending or the wife will kill me)

Thanks

IMG_3465.JPG IMG_3467.JPG IMG_3471.JPG IMG_3469.JPG

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018 at 6:54 AM

2. heltershelton

heltershelton ROCKIN FOREVER Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    it appears to still have the tbx.
    no idea on the pickups, but whoever wired them in did a good job.

3. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 10, 2012
    stamford, CT
    pierce likes this.

4. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    SachaPlusDeluxe likes this.

5. fenderkev

fenderkev Most Honored Senior Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Back In Blighty
    7.38k is way too high for a 57/62 bridge pup. As Ebidis states, they don't have a RW/RP middle pup as standard either. Judging by the enamel coated wire I can just about see on the neck and middle pups, the RW/RP middle pup with the Yellow hot lead, and the DC figures, I'd say they're CS Texas Specials with the stickers removed, or more likely taken from something like an early SRV Signature Strat, which would explain the lack of a Red dot on the bridge pup.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018 at 7:27 PM
    amstratnut likes this.

6. Dr Honda

Feb 7, 2018
    Pitt PA
    Thanks for the input guys.

The 57/62's don't match up going by Fender's info. They show them as not having the yellow wire, and the bridge is only in the 5.6k ohm range.

Fenderkev: I was thinking about the Texas Specials, but they don't match either. The resistance on my neck and mid is a little low. (but old pickups and an old meter could be an issue too) But the SRV thing makes an interesting thought. I'm thinking I should look at some of the OEM pickups that aren't sold separately.

7. sjtalon

sjtalon Senior Stratmaster

CS Texas Specials coil wire is dark purple-ish (enamal)

I'd say that's them

amstratnut likes this.

8. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    It's hard to tell in the pic with the little bit of coil wire you can see, but it does look like they could be the purple-ish plain enamel wire color. If so, I would say Texas Specials.

9. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    Surely your measurements are in K Ohms rather than Ohms ?
    If so, they match pretty closely as well as visually with the pickups that are in my '94 American Standard.
    I bought the guitar nearly new (in 95 or 96) and was told it had Lindy Fralins "from the factory".
    I know that Fender didn't factory install Lindys, but I just chalked it up to dealer installed.

If those were TS I'd expect to see a blue and red dot, and slightly higher Ohms readings.
    Can't quite read the date codes on the pots.

10. Dr Honda

Feb 7, 2018
    Pitt PA
    Yes... should have been "K" ohms. (Fixed)

I thought the American Standards would have had the plastic bobbin? But maybe not with the early ones.

I agree, if they were a CS pickup, there would be colored dots. I will see what I can find on the Lindy Fralins pickups.

I was un aware about a date code on the pots. I zoomed in on the pic and on the tone pot, it says "013446 250k A" The other side has solder but I can see "197". The volume is also partly covered but I can see "13446" and "R1....508". Hope that helps some.

11. sjtalon

They didn't always put dots on them.

Right on the coil Ebidis.

So here ya go Doc, what is it:

Texas Special coil wire.jpg

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018 at 7:26 AM

12. Dr Honda

Feb 7, 2018
    Pitt PA
    were the Lindy Fralins pickups a fender part at one time? If not... after looking on their web site... it doesn't look like they use a yellow wire.

13. sjtalon

or (formvar, gold-ish like an new penny):

fat 50.jpg

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018 at 7:28 AM

14. Dr Honda

Feb 7, 2018
    Pitt PA
    sjtalon: They are dark, like your top picture.

15. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    That would lead me in the direction of Texas Specials, but the DCR on the mid and neck seem a little low for TS's.

Anyone know what other pickups use plain enamel wire?

16. Dr Honda

Feb 7, 2018
    Pitt PA
    OK... the plot thickens. LOL.

I pulled the solder off the tone pot I removed (I installed the TBX) and the date code was 1379712. That makes it a CTS of the 12th week of 1997. SO... this pickgaurd, and I'll assume all the parts on it are of mid/late 1997 vintage. To me... this looked like an undisturbed factory assembly. (signature tape, found plastic film under the tone nut, and no extra soldering)

My real question here is... why wouldn't Fender put some sort of ID mark on the OEM/installed pickups??

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018 at 3:04 PM
    Tone Guru likes this.

17. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    Fender just does sh!t.

18. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    Fender pickups have always been an area mystery when trying to identify them.
    Some get rather cryptic markings, some no marks at all.
    Some Custom Shop pickups get stickers, some don't.
    Some get dates, most don't.

It's a total crapshoot.
    Especially when some pickups changed specs over the years ie 57/62s.

Skinny Nitro likes this.

19. Dr Honda

Feb 7, 2018
    Pitt PA
    Thanks for all the input guys. You have been a big help and I've learned a bunch about fender over the last few days.

Knowing how clean that pick guard is, and how it looks undisturbed (even the white tape on the pickup wires is untouched) and going from the date codes on the pots.... AND... knowing that the AM Standard pickups would have been plastic with red and blue wires in 97/98.... the only thing these could be are factory installed Texas Specials. That would explane why there isn't any real id (sticker or dots) on them, but it's the only thing that aligns with the color of the magnet wire, yellow center pickup wire, and paper top/bottom. Yes... the bridge and Mid pickup are a tad low, but it could be my meter. It's old and the battery could be low.

BUT... if you guys think of anything else... just yell.

Thanks again.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018 at 3:10 PM

20. Dr Honda

Feb 7, 2018
    Pitt PA
    DING DING DING..... I think I found the winner !!

OK... taking the info from what you guys have told me, and what I've learned because of that info... I think I figured it out.

I stumbled across a couple pics of the SRV pickups, and they called them "Texas Special" pickups... but it was quite obvious that this pick guard did not come off the SRV version. So... I decided to look at other OEM models for the 97/98 years, and I came across some info that was very interesting.

It said: The Texas Special pickups for the Roadhouse were only produced from 97 to 2000 and lead to the "Hot Roded" version of the custom Shop Texas Specials.

So... while I didn't find a resistance value... it would make sense that the value would be lower than the Custom shop version. This also means there are 2 versions of the texas specials. the 97-2000 OEM version, and the current Custom Shop version. Then I found the clincher........

this add on reverb.

https://reverb.com/item/422980-fender-roadhouse-stratocaster-1997-black

It puts the early Texas special pickups on a period correct Pick guard, and the right color for whats on mine.

So there it is... I have a 96 Strat plus, with a pickup/pick guard from a 97/98 roadhouse. With OE (not CS) Texas Special pickups.