Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Need help wiring push/pull tone control that switches between two caps

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by Strat_Cat_7, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Strat_Cat_7

Strat_Cat_7 Strat-Talk Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Chicago
    I’ve searched quite a bit online, but can’t find a definitive answer for how this should be done. I want to install a DPDT push/pull pot into one of the tone controls of my Strat (preferably the bottom tone). I want to be able to switch between two cap values, .05mf and .1mf, and for the switch to affect BOTH tone controls.

My wiring is currently pretty standard with Tone 1’s cap grounded to itself and jumped through the right lug to the center lug of tone 2. How exactly do I wire the push pull switch back into the tone controls so that Tone 2 (or vice versa) is affected? Can I connect a jumper wire across?

I have an aluminium shield plate on my pickguard, so pots are all grounded through that. When I ground a component like the capacitor, can I ground anywhere I want, possibly on top of an adjacent pot?

2. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Where you’d normally connect the cap, just run a wire instead. Take it to the center lug of the switch on a push-pull, and wire the caps onto the switches lugs. Ground the caps to the pot back or other handy ground, and you should be good.

OwnYourTone likes this.

3. Uncle Fiesta

Uncle Fiesta Senior Stratmaster

Here's how I did one, many years ago:

Cap switch.jpg

It's a DPDT switch.

You'd just modify it to suit what ever you're doing.

4. Strat_Cat_7

Strat_Cat_7 Strat-Talk Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Chicago
    Thanks for this explanation, makes sense. To clarify, am I only using half of the DPDT as a SPDT?

5. Desert strat

Desert strat Senior Stratmaster

Mar 10, 2011
    Tanami Desert, Australia
    This guy has a good tutorial for doing the duel cap mod, hope this helps

OwnYourTone likes this.

6. OwnYourTone

OwnYourTone Strat-O-Master

Nov 25, 2012
    Kansas City
    This is a good demo - then you could just run a jumper wire from tone 1 lug 1 to tone 2 lug 1. Both tones would be affected as you desire. Assuming you currently have the tones affecting the desired pickups, you should be good to go.

Desert strat likes this.

7. Desert strat

Desert strat Senior Stratmaster

Mar 10, 2011
    Tanami Desert, Australia
    It also works well when splitting humbuckers too, that way the value of the cap matches the split or the full bucker. you just have to decide which caps to use.... now that is a whole new thread right there. :)

OwnYourTone likes this.