Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Need help with new trem block and old bridge plate

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Cowboy Dan, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Cowboy Dan

Cowboy Dan New Member!

Nov 10, 2018
    Arcata, CA
    IMG_3854.JPG I recently bought a GFS steel trem block for my Chinese Squier. When attempting to install it, I ran into a couple problems.
    It was too tight of a fit for the block, but I'm aware that this is a common problem and I'm willing to break out the file. However the second issue has really stumped me. The screw and whammy bar holes in the new block do not line up with my stock bridge plate. The trem block that I bought IS designed to fit import strats.
    GFS does sell replacement bridges for import strats, but they're from the same supplier as the stock bridges (or so they claim) so does this mean they'll have the same problem?
    This isn't a new guitar so it's possible some prior modification was done, but it doesn't look like it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    There are two sizes for body mounting hole spacings:
    2 - 7/32" vintage, and 2 - 1/16" modern.

There are also the same two sizes for string spacings.

There also exists a hybrid of the two with 2 - 7/32" vintage body hole spacing with modern 2 - 1/16" string spacing.which is used on a few models.
    Sometimes you will see the vintage spec expressed as "2 3/16"

MEASURE !!

It appears that you have a wide vintage sized block, and a modern narrow (or hybrid) plate.
    It's no longer adequate to describe bridge parts as "import" because both vintage and modern spec parts are used in MIM and Asian products.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  3. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Strat-Talker

Nov 6, 2018
    Vancouver, Canada
    Yup, you have to measure string spacing and screw spacing. In my experience, GFS are pretty good at customer service. I’d,reach out to them and I’m sure they’ll be able to point you in the right direction.

For my MIM Squier Series, I bought the full upgrade kit, so bridge plate, block, springs, saddles, bar. I would have liked to use my stock bridge plate but it didn’t line up with the tremolo arm. I don’t like their springs so I sued the 3 stock fender springs. The saddles in the kit were junk so I ordered a set of Fender bent saddles. I also used the stock 6 screws instead of the ones that came in the kit.

So I used the full size block that came in the kit with the kit bridge plate and the whammy bar that came with the kit. I used the OEM fender springs, fender bent saddles, the OEM 6 screws for mounting, pivoting. The results are pretty much prefect. It works smoothly and tabs in tune. It sounds fantastic but I changed pickups so I don’t know how much improvement is made by the block.