Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Need SC sized HB help

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by Theron, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Theron

Theron Strat-Talk Member

Nov 16, 2017
    Indiana
    I'm searching for a single coil size humbucker for my Chapman. Bridge position, and one that will match well with the neck which is alnico 5 wound to 6.8k. Very classic warm sounding neck pickup.
    The stock bridge pickup is not giving me what I want, which is something for higher gain, 80's-modern rock/some metal. I don't want to go too hot and it be horribly unbalanced.
    Ash body, maple neck and fretboard, brass saddles, graphtech nut.

Ideas???

IMG_1528.JPG

2. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 21, 2014
    Santa Maria, CA
    Dunno.. my first instinct is to say put a Seymour Duncan Hotrail in there.

Theron likes this.

3. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    I have used the SD L'il 59 and it is a really nice p'up. I currently have one in my Tele and it mixes really well with the SC that was in it originally. I ended up changing the neck to a Hot for tele only because I wanted it to push through a little more when in rhythm settings. My next strat will mod will probably get the L'il 59 in it too. Plus you can coil split it if you want to to get a more classic SC sound when you want it.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    Vjerilood and Theron like this.

4. Theron

Theron Strat-Talk Member

Nov 16, 2017
    Indiana
    I'm thinking the hotrail would be too hot...maybe the cool rail or lil 59...

blille likes this.

5. Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan Senior Stratmaster

Well, a JB Jr would be the right one for 80s rock, but you would have an imbalance with the other pickups. In that case, check out the Little '59 and the Little Screamin Demon.

Theron likes this.

6. RichieS

RichieS Strat-Talker

Sep 1, 2016
    The City
    The hotrail is WAY too hot IMHO. I have one of those and regret purchasing it. I really wish I'd gone for the cool rails or a DiMarzio Tone Zone. I've heard good things about both of those pups

7. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 10, 2009
    USA
    Great pickup for what you are wanting IMO.

8. Theron

Theron Strat-Talk Member

Nov 16, 2017
    Indiana
    I see a lot of the SD sc size HB have a threaded bushing for mounting with machine screws to a pickguard...how would I hard mount them??

9. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-a-holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Most normal single coil screws have the same thread.....it should mount no issues....

SD might even supply them with the new pickup....not sure @Seymour Duncan ?

10. Theron

Theron Strat-Talk Member

Nov 16, 2017
    Indiana
    Right but it should be a different type of screw because mine mount into the body, not in a pickguard.

11. Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan Senior Stratmaster

I've just used smaller wood screws that pass right through the normal holes. I cut up the foam from the pickup box to put under the pickup for height.

Ebidis and Theron like this.

12. Tone Quest

Tone Quest Strat-O-Master

Sep 11, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    I have the Little '59 in the bridge position of my Strat. Like it very much. Been there two years now, no reason to change.

Seymour Duncan likes this.

13. fenderkev

fenderkev Most Honored Senior Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Back In Blighty
    In my experience DiMarzio do a much better and diverse range of Noiseless pups than SD. You could try stacks that look exactly like a single coil but are totally noiseless. Best DM stacked bridge pup I had was the Virtual Solo. Plenty more body but still retains single coil high end. They do various stages of output in their stacks to suit every taste.
    These days I've gone over to their dual blade pups which sustain forever with gain. I used the Chopper in the bridge for a very long time and that sounds fantastic with 2 single coils. I finally went the whole hog and my gigging Strat now has 3 Dual blades, and zero noise. :)
    http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/strat/hum-canceling-strat

bobseven likes this.

14. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Strat-Talker

May 29, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Both Duncan SL-59b or Dimazio Chopper will fit the bill here. I suggest these because they will can mix well with regular single coils while keeping the stock wiring with 250k controls.

I like the Dimarzio Chopper as it has good balanced tone and is reasonably versatile. You can get different tones depending how you set it up. It responds well close to the strings with nice harmonics yet its not too fizzy with high gain.

15. velvet_man

velvet_man Strat-Talker

Sep 7, 2016
    Vancouver
    You should also check out the Dimarzio Tone Zone S/BC-1. The BC-1 is just a Tone Zone S with a bit more bass. I have the BC-1 in the bridge on my Strat and it's awesome for rock, hard rock, metal stuff, and it pairs surprisingly well with the 6.5K single coil I have in the middle position.

16. Vjerilood

Vjerilood Strat-O-Master

Jul 30, 2017
    USA
    Yeah I like mine in my Tele too although I got the set with the Vintage Stack in the neck. I don’t know about Metal (maybe with a hot pedal) but you can do just about anything with this getup, including vibrant lively clean tones, which is something side by side buckers tend to not be so great for. When I hear a clean Les Paul I feel like I’m waiting for them to turn the gain up so the guitar can do what it’s good at. Single/stacked humbuckers tend not to sacrifice the wonderful cleans you can get out of a Fender.

I used to word “tend” twice on purpose.

Believer7713 likes this.

17. fenderkev

fenderkev Most Honored Senior Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Back In Blighty
    That's interesting your using the Billy Corgan neck pup in the bridge position. I have the BC-2 which has an outstanding full humbucking tone. I'd image the BC1 is similar with a bit more treble? That's another one that's worth considering.

18. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    One option that rarely gets mentioned is the Duncan Hot Stack. I had one of those in my Strat years ago & it gave me just what I wanted back then. It's a lot fatter & punchier than a stock single coil but it still balances quite well with the other two pickups. And it's tappable too.

19. metale

metale Strat-Talk Member

Jun 4, 2011
    Portugal
    I liked my Pearly Gates. A bit hairy and great harmonics without having to jack up the gain.

20. Swampash

Swampash Senior Stratmaster

Jun 13, 2012
    Here
    little 59 is my first choice for small neck bucker.