Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Need to part with one of my strats (Don't know which one)

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Bluestrat83, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Bluestrat83

Bluestrat83 Strat-O-Master

Jan 17, 2016
    Ecuador
    As some of you guys know my wife recently got my a Hiwatt head for my birthday. The problem now is that I need a cabinet and the only way to afford one right now is to sell one strat. I currently own 3 strats: One is a 96' MIA standard maple board, the other is a 2008 MIA RW board american std and the third one is a RW board MIM Classic player 60's.
    The 96' MIA standard strat is out of equation because is the only maple board strat I have and it has some sentimental value (First "real" guitar my father bought me when I was 16). So it leaves me with two choices to sell: One of the two RW board strats. The problem: I like both of them a lot! I made my peace with the fact that I have to sell one now (that's not the issue) the thing is how to decide which to sell.
    I need to have my amp functional with a cab right now more than having two RW board strats so I need to establish some kind of criteria to help me decide which one to sell. I like both and they both get the same playing time, that's why I need advice.
    It is between:
    2008 MIA RW board american std and the third one is a RW board MIM Classic player 60's.
    Best,
    Jorge

2. perttime

perttime Strat-Talker

May 4, 2015
    Finland
    A couple of considerations:
    You are in Equador. Which one will sell (at a fair price)?
    How much do you need?
    How much can you get for those guitars?

Raiders757 and Bluestrat83 like this.
  3. cliffenstein

cliffenstein Strat-Talker

Dec 22, 2010
    Sandston, Virginia
    If they are both just as good to you then sell the American. It'll sell easier, sell for more and you already have one American made Strat.

4. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 8, 2014
    Minnesota USA
    '
    My only criteria is which one sounds the best, but if they both sound equally good then keep the one that feels and plays the best.

If all things being equal, then I'd sell the one that comes closest to the cost of a new cab.

Otherwise I guess you're left with a coin toss...

'

Hippieway and Bluestrat83 like this.
  5. hcski25

hcski25 Strat-Talker

Sep 28, 2015
    Boston
    If you like them both equally, maybe let the potential buyer(s) decide. Post each of them for reasonably aggressive asking prices and see what sells first. That's the strategy I've used before when I've been indifferent as to which piece of gear to sell.

Bluestrat83 likes this.
  6. heltershelton

heltershelton ASKED TO LEAVE THE STAGE Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    hmmmm...truly a dilemma.....can you sell the wife?:p

7. montemerrick

montemerrick spiritual birthday, April 1 Strat-Talk Supporter

sell the MIA RW... you love both equally but one will get a higher price...

Bluestrat83 likes this.
  8. Bluestrat83

Jan 17, 2016
    Ecuador
    I need between round $600 to $900 for the cab and between $300/$400 to bring it to my country. So the most expensive scenario is around $1300. But if I get enough for the cab itself I don't mind covering the extra expenses.

In our market I might get around $1100 for the MIA (the go usually for $1600 new but getting $1000 would be fair IMO) and for the MIM between $900 no less than $800 (these kind of models go for $1000/$1200 new). And if I sell the MIM I will sell it with the callaham trem. These kind of mods are more attractive to our market. Both have boutique pickups so the guitar I decide to sell will get a set of american std. alnico V.

9. heltershelton

heltershelton ASKED TO LEAVE THE STAGE Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    thats alot for a cab. have you considered building one instead? or having a friend build it if you dont have the tools?

10. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    If you currently own a combo amp just wire up a jack (on the combo) so you can drive the combo speaker with the HiWatt. Win.............. win! :)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    rich815 and brians like this.
  11. Bluestrat83

Jan 17, 2016
    Ecuador
    I’m watching a $500 reeves cab in reverb that could be the one. The other options in the us rank from $600 to 900. The other expenses are unavoidable if I want one of those cabs.

There’s a couple of builders back home but I’ve tried the cabinets and I’m not convinced with the woods and speaker choices available. And know a few people that can also built it but they will charge even more.

heltershelton likes this.
  12. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

Id put both of them up, and see what the public thinks.

if they are both great, then either of them can go and it should be "ok" at the end of the day. let the people tell you which one they want more. that should help.

13. RobZ69

RobZ69 Strat-O-Master

Apr 22, 2017
    The Netherlands
    Why not buy a speaker (or 2), some multiplex and build one yourself?
    Likely much cheaper...(if you don't go overboard on the casing with wheels, handles, cloth, covering which can all be added later) you might not have to sell anything.

I did. (with MDF not multiplex)
    Strtk_DSC7670.jpg

Edit: I see I was a bit late to the party...

circles, Bluestrat83 and brians like this.
  14. arcticstrat

arcticstrat Strat-O-Master

Feb 6, 2016
    USA
    Hard choice! That classic Player with the 12" radius and '69 pickups gives the MIA a run for the money doesn't it? One of my favorite Strats. Glad it's you making that decision and not me. Good luck! :)

Bluestrat83 likes this.
  15. brians

brians Senior Stratmaster

Nov 28, 2016
    ZA
    Looks pretty darn good!!!

16. Bluestrat83

Jan 17, 2016
    Ecuador
    I've never built anything in my life lol. It's a good idea but for this situation everything has to be perfect and I don't want to risk it.
    Nice cab by the way!

17. Bluestrat83

Jan 17, 2016
    Ecuador
    Hell Yeah!

arcticstrat likes this.
  18. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
  19. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Stratmaster

Feb 26, 2014
    LAS VEGAS , NV
    I'd keep the MIM with the flatter radius, just for variety's sake. But that's just me! And yes as always, pics will help!:sneaky:
    Just Sayin'
    Gene

20. gofmusic

gofmusic Senior Stratmaster

Sep 24, 2013
    Montevideo
    Don't sell. Wait. Save. Then buy. Be happy all along.