Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Neil Young- I learned something I didn't know

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by newplayeroldguy, Oct 11, 2018 at 10:43 AM.

1. newplayeroldguy

newplayeroldguy in the wind

May 12, 2015
    north and east
    I saw a feature on Neil Young this week. I hadn't known that as a youngster he suffered from polio,
    left him with some motor difficulty on his left side.

I've always really enjoyed his playing, I think his playing is very expressive and his guitar always seems to have something to say- I like that, a lot.

He talked a bit about being kind of two people- his left side which is effortless, and his right, which he has to fight with a bit. I think he's a very interesting guy, and I really admire how he took some lemons and made a nice pitcher of lemonade- it takes a strong person to do that.

2. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Beer me up Scotty Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 11, 2015
    Terra Incognito
    I had no idea either until now. I wish I knew that before, thinking back of those (two) times I critizied his lead guitar abilities. :oops:

I admire the guy also, for a lot of reasons, the guy has integrity and credibility. :cool: And writes great songs!

3. Jeffl

Jeffl Strat-Talk Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto

4. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I was never much into him but I have a mate who is obsessed with him. I got into this song via my mate, & I love it.

Ditchgator likes this.

5. garyhoos1

garyhoos1 Huffing n Puffing. Silver Member

Jan 28, 2012
    North Wales and Somerset.
    I’ve enjoyed Neil over the years especially crazy horse, but I never heard this story of his past.

6. fezz parka

fezz parka Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    ₩¥€£§μГ

7. Phat-O-Caster

Phat-O-Caster Strat-O-Master

Apr 16, 2008
    Colorado
    Before I cut my cable tv off I really enjoyed watching Dan Rather do The Big Interview on AXS channel & Neil’s interview was a good one ( the Geddy Lee interview was especially good too)

I’ve always liked Neil since the Buffalo Springfield days mostly because when I was starting to play acoustic his songs were playable for me.

8. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Nov 27, 2013
    Antwerp/Belgium
    Same here (from a fan ;)).

9. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster

Feb 17, 2016
    New Zealand
    Neil Young is a great illustration of the fact you don’t have to be a technically great player or singer if you can write. Neil youngs songs are among my favourites to both play and listen too. Most of how I learned to play acoustic in my early twenties was from working out the songs on Harvest...

10. I'm a Crazy Horse kinda guy too. I just love how raw and full of passion that band is. You can just feel the musical chemistry.

Once I started listening to the Horse my own playing took a leap forward. I think I just connect with Neil Young because he plays by feel and not necessarily by technique.

Because of this authenticity, on the punk scene we like to call him The Only Hippie You Can Trust.

garyhoos1 likes this.

11. space

space Strat-Talker

May 17, 2018
    midwest
    was a great documentary
    his acoustic work imo is the best coupled with his soulful singing

12. jamieorc

jamieorc Strat-Talk Member

Oct 19, 2016
    Charlottesville, VA
    I love that Pete Townshend (one of my favorites) ended up getting his classic recorded sound from 1971 on by trying to set up like Neil Young:

Q: "Do you have a favorite period in your career, where you feel you broke down what you regarded as guitaristic barriers?"

I think the significant moments have actually had a lot to do with guitars, actual guitars. Like being given an orange Gretsch Country Gentleman [sic] and an Edwards [volume] pedal by Joe Walsh, and being told exactly how to set up the amp to produce that amazing Neil Young noise, and using that sound on “Won’t Get Fooled Again” and “Bargain.”

From http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/gear/guitar/gretsch.html

13. radd

radd Strat-O-Master

Jun 2, 2016
    Santa cruz
    I love the guy, saw him years ago with Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. Great writer. With the massive amount of songs I’ve forgotten how to play over the years, one of my early Neil Young songs, Needle and the Man, has never left me, even if I have not played it in many years it is always right there in my finger tips.

Two other things I like about him, he is a nice guy and his sweetie is Daryl Hannah