Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Never Dull and polishing your own frets

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by 357mag, Oct 22, 2014.

1. 357mag

357mag Senior Stratmaster

Jul 22, 2010
    Minnesota
    Is it okay or rather inadvisable to polish your own frets with Never Dull?

2. heltershelton

heltershelton ROCKIN FOREVER Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    i use that stuff on the chrome on my harley. i dont know if i would like to get the solvents in it on the wood of my fretboard. seems like it could mess it up. but i dont know for sure.

3. VentilatorBlues

VentilatorBlues Senior Stratmaster

Just grab some of those multi-grit nail buffing sponges at your local pharmacy. No potentially (probably) harmful chemicals needed.

4. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 21, 2014
    Santa Maria, CA
    Get some Gorgomyte...one bag will last quite awhile if you cut it into 1" squares
    [​IMG]

5. ashcastermetal

ashcastermetal Senior Stratmaster

Jun 1, 2012
    NYC
    Many polishing compounds are great, just mask off your fretboard, you don't even need to do a complete level. Many guitars with dulling looking frets can play better with some fret polishing. I do it when I get new guitars that are all relatively level and worry about the frets later. It also prevents premature wear especially from bending strings. Replacing your strings often also keeps your frets nice for longer.

6. firebrand

firebrand Senior Stratmaster

Mar 5, 2009
    Western Michigan
    I mask off the board and use .0000 steel wool.

7. ashcastermetal

ashcastermetal Senior Stratmaster

Jun 1, 2012
    NYC
    yes you can do this but I mainly tend to do the polish AFTER this is done, makes em glassy and slippery smooth.

This is the stuff

Attached Files:

8. Vindibona1

Vindibona1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I've used Never Dull on raw brass trumpets but I don't think I would use a polish on guitar frets. Dunlop has a very fine polishing sand paper for that purpose which is what I like to use.

9. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    I tried never dull and it didnt do much.

I have some car wax and a dremel polishing attachment Im gonna try.

10. sevycat

sevycat Custom Shop Cat Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 8, 2008
    Newark, DE
    Dremel tools are for sissy boys. :p

amstratnut likes this.

11. revtime

revtime Strat-Talker

Jun 17, 2014
    kansas
    Do yourself a favor and pay attention to this. These things work great.
    I have gotten over the looks a 240 lb bald man with a 2 foot long beard gets in the "nail care" aisle at the Pharmacy. :)

12. AllanM

AllanM Strat-Talker

Jan 8, 2014
    New Zealand
    For £7.98 and hundreds of uses I use Crimson Guitars fret rubbers for the low and medium grit of about 600 and 800ish grit. Then 1200 sandpaper for the final level. I figure with bends anything much more than this will be removed in the first couple of string scrapings anyway.

13. jpmist

jpmist Strat-Talker

Mar 26, 2010
    Decatur
    Let me ditto this and add that they can be found at Dollar General type stores as well. Taping off is a pain, but it's worth the time not to leave marks, just be sure to be careful you don't peel off the finish over the dots on a maple neck.

The range of fineness on these sticks are uncannily perfect for frets, taking you from almost enough to level the divots out to a really high shine. Because they're foam under the sandpaper you'll get a nice domed shape to the frets.

Also for those MIM necks where they don't polish the fret ends off, on a rosewood neck you can use these sticks to smooth the ends down as well. You can roll those fretboard edges over just like they do on a USA neck. Even though the sides of the fretboard have finish on them, the sticks will polish the rosewood to a very high shine so you won't notice.

[​IMG]

14. Ramblin'man

Ramblin'man Strat-O-Master

Feb 20, 2013
    Northern Illinois
    Those Polishing Rubbers look a lot like Ink erasers used to look like.

15. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 21, 2014
    Santa Maria, CA
    I'm sorry but every one of these options look either like a mess or huge PITA for prep. I've tried a couple method above and still say the gorgomyte material is the way to go for cleaning/polishing frets. And no, I'm not a paid spokesperson for them.
    FAQ2

16. Kyri

Kyri Senior Stratmaster

Apr 28, 2009
    UK
    +1 for simichrome! but mask of your old nitro boards ;)

17. Tonecontrol

Tonecontrol Strat-Talk Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Chicago/Milwaukee
    I use fret erasers, you can get them on eBay fairly cheap

18. thedrill

thedrill Strat-Talk Member

Jun 29, 2014
    mass , usa
    been working with wood all my life, literally since could hold a hammer. i get paid a redonkulus amount of money for the things i know.
    that said, ill say this, keep that stuff away from your fretboard, rose wood boards evan more so, r woods got a more open grain than maple, residue get more in the wood.
    the stuff is pretty toxic, it will start degrading the wood, eat the finish.

all the posters above me had good ideas, from steet wool to dremal tool with light polishing compound to fingernail polishing thingy, go with one of those.

19. wildhawk

wildhawk Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Here
    Same here...

MAKE SURE it's 0000 steel wool. Put something under it to catch the wool dust.
    Throw some masking tape over the pickups in case you get sloppy.

I know some will cry out about this method but it works great and a bag of that wool will last forever. Unless you plan on making your guitar a closet queen there's no "protectant" that's going to stay on the frets with metal against metal for hours.