Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

New American Elite HSS - Ebony fingerboard flaw or unique?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Dave673, Dec 6, 2018.

Is the fingerboard flawed or unique

1. Flaw

20 vote(s)
    28.2%
  2. Unique

51 vote(s)
    71.8%
  1. vid1900

vid1900 Senior Stratmaster

Nov 25, 2016
    USA
    Usually they dye the ebony to make it look jet black.

That fretboard looks totally amazing; you'd be a fool to return it.

(it looks way better than these $$$$$ ones)

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz122113256.jpg

abnormaltoy likes this.
  2. Dave673

Dave673 New Member!

Dec 6, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Well it was a $1950 guitar lol, got it for around $1650. I wonder if it’s a new look fender is going with on ebony from here out.

RnR Nolan and abnormaltoy like this.
  3. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Strat-Talker

Oct 16, 2018
    Tacoma in two weeks
    It's probably Macassar ebony. That is just the way that type of ebony is. Most of the time more streaked, but darker usually. Some times with red to purplish stripes. If it is Gaboon ebony, which is normally the really black stuff, then yeah I would send it back. Macassar is the cheaper ebony. Gabon still is usually died to be perfectly black.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    abnormaltoy and Dave673 like this.
  4. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Strat-Talker

Oct 16, 2018
    Tacoma in two weeks
    Totally acceptable in high end classical quilters and some up even pay a premium for it.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  5. joebloggs

joebloggs Strat-Talker

Jun 18, 2017
    The backyard
    Looks cool.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  6. Bowmap

Bowmap Senior Stratmaster - Really? Gold Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Where?
    I like it! I think it looks good on that guitar. Now if it had been a piece of black and white ebony, it do not think it would look good on that guitar. I can of course safely store it for you while you decide. ;)

7. nadzab

nadzab So many guitars, so little time... Strat-Talk Supporter

Wouldn't see that with Richlite!

;)

8. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    The EU
    Mate, if it doesn't appeal to you, trade it in for another one. No point in you being bothered by what someone else might consider beautiful. It's not your fault - nor is it the guitar's ;)

The Strat Dude and abnormaltoy like this.
  9. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan
    Yeah. People are so picky and don't realize what real wood is ... But they can tell you all about the Tone Wood features for hours.

See how Ebony wood is more than black when still in tree form. See how these trees have cracks and splits in them that must be cut around to make solid fingerboard blanks. See how much of a tree is wasted. Two million guitars are made a year so the instrument industry is a big impact on the environment when choosing these materials.
    [​IMG]

Just demand the factory build you a guitar with local Grown In America lumber. Don't cause them to feel a need to cut the rain forest down. Really.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Sangetsu

Sangetsu Strat-Talker

Oct 6, 2017
    Tokyo
    The already cut ebony is not wasted, it’s usually dyed black, or used in other things. Nowadays it’s too valuable to discard.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  11. Kayden33

Kayden33 Strat-Talker

Apr 23, 2017
    Knoxville, TN
    I love it :thumb: It’s unique and it’s special. Why be like everyone else? If I had the money atm I’d buy it for exactly what you paid and you could go buy another.

Love what Taylor guitars have done with allowing natural ebony on their fretboards. It’s naturally beautiful wood and should be loved without always being dyed, painted and discarded of. Years ago a lot of ebony that wasn’t consistent in darker color was trashed/scrapped. Taylor guitars started using natural ebony with their 800 series which is considered their best (900 series is just more flashy appointments). They didn’t start natural ebony with their lower series but their high end - that’s ballsy. I love the natural ebony. I have a 2017 Taylor 814CE which has natural ebony and love it.

I work as a antique piano technician and see ebony (sharps) keys all the time but when you look at a pianos sharps they are painted black, with lots of black paint. When I refinish sharps and remove old black paint you’ll see the natural ebony which is not black. Just like ebony fretboards the ebony fretboards were and are stained/dyed black. And at times a lot of ebony goes wasted/trashed that’s not consistent in dark color. Btw most all new piano sharps are faux ebony/plastic sharps these days.

I would be proud to own this guitar. Ignore those who call it ugly or say you should send it back. Those don’t appreciate ebony and it’s natural beauty. They want guitar/ebony like everyone typically has. They consider this as a flaw or ugly cause like everyone they want that picture perfect guitar that looks like everyone else’s guitar. Their guitar must look like their buddies guitar, can’t be unique. Afraid their guitar will not be liked and will be dissed.

Isn’t it funny how bear claw use to be considered a flaw? Now it’s considered beauty and it’s $$$.

Natural ebony from work that I’ve started to sand down ——————>>>>>

4082A130-827F-47F9-BAD1-91F5E57F8F7A.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  12. John C

John C Senior Stratmaster

Jul 17, 2012
    Kansas City
    That's what I was thinking as well - most of that type of ebony is streaked. Look at it this way - Gibson has moved to fake ebony ("Richlite") on $4K "regular" LP Customs these days; you have to move up to the very limited Historic reissues to get real ebony (the '68 version is $5,500 and the '57 is $7,700 - at least those are the MAP prices).

abnormaltoy likes this.
  13. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2015
    Mukilteo
    Cough...cough....sharpie marker....

henderman and abnormaltoy like this.
  14. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Senior Stratmaster

Aug 7, 2009
    austin texas
    I voted 'unique' because I believe it was their intention to give it a distinct look...that surely didn't pass quality control un-noticed.I'd personally prefer a darker,single color Ebony fretboard but I'm sure they decided to ship it out because they know tastes will vary and some people will love it.

15. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Strat-Talker

Jul 25, 2017
    ABQ
    I think it looks nice.

Paperback Rocker and abnormaltoy like this.
  16. cshere

cshere Strat-Talk Member

Aug 30, 2018
    USA
    Don't like it. You were right to return it.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  17. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy BushBaby Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2013
    Tucson
    It's kind of odd...folks get upset because Richlite...looks fake because it's so uniform. Some people get upset with genuine wood...because it's not uniform.

18. RnR Nolan

RnR Nolan Strat-Talker

Sep 5, 2017
    Chandler, AZ
    Well, as far as the poll goes, it's a unique flaw if you know what I'm sayin'!

I personally would never want a guitar like that (I like my ebony fretboards completely black), but at the same time it is pretty unique.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  19. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Surrey, England
    I know it is natural but I really dislike that effect.

Fortunately there are plenty of Strats around to get what you want.

20. possumkiller

possumkiller Strat-Talker

Aug 3, 2010
    Poland
    How is it B grade ebony though? It looks like a pretty nice slab of streaked ebony. It looks like something you'd find on a boutique custom build or a super expensive rifle stock.

People see the word ebony and associate it with uniform pitch black fretboards. Uniform pitch black ebony was always an extreme rarity. Most ebony is brown, grey, streaked. Builders always dyed the board black but not so much anymore.