Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

New CTS pots... knobs won’t fit

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by yepitsadam, Dec 31, 2017.

1. yepitsadam

yepitsadam Strat-Talk Member

Nov 30, 2016
    Louisville, KY
    Help me out, guys. I bought CTS EP0085 250k pots to upgrade my 2004 Indonesian Squire strat. I opened them and wired one before I tried putting a knob on one... it ain’t happening.
    I’m guessing I need to buy new knobs. Can you guys point me in the right direction?

2. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    The CTS use a 1/4” shaft with “fine” knurling; the knobs you have are likely course-knurled Alpha. They don’t quite match up unfortunately, so a new set might be needed to fit. Unless you have solid shaft pots, in which case only Tele-style knobs with a set screw will fit.

3. archetype

archetype Strat-O-Master

Nov 26, 2016
    Williamsville NY
    The CTS shafts have a different number of splines than your import pots. Try Stewart MacDonald. Count the number of splines and buy knobs that match.

4. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    For an Indonesian Squier you would be better off with Alpha pots rather than CTS. Alphas are metric like your guitar - CTS are imperial. And don't believe the folk who tell you that Alphas are cheap rubbish that will fall apart - there are plenty of Tokais around that are close to 30 years old & still have their original Alpha pots that work just fine.

Always choosing the most expensive product isn't always the best option.

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  5. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Use a bigger hammer.

6. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I heard the longer version of that years ago from an old engineer who must be nearing 90 now. Every now & again, he would stroll up to help with a job & offer this advice:

"If in doubt, don't **** about - use a bigger hammer! Old army saying, you know....".

That was also the only time I can recall him swearing.

yepitsadam likes this.
  7. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    That's where I learned the BFH (bigger ****ing hammer) rule, in the Air Force. It was always "if it doesn't fit, use a BFH".

yepitsadam likes this.
  8. yepitsadam

yepitsadam Strat-Talk Member

Nov 30, 2016
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks for the advice! I’ll definitely remember that next time! For this one, I’m going to go ahead and use these.

Now to decide which color... this could take a while. :D

9. omni43

omni43 Strat-Talker

Jan 18, 2015
    Annandale, VA
    Just hammer them on, it’s a Squire!