Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

New Fake Strat Day

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by Lost Sailor, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Lost Sailor

Lost Sailor Strat-O-Master

A couple of days ago someone gave me a strat copy. It had messed wiring and 3 defective pickups (all metered as open). The 2nd tone control was wired as the volume and who knows what for the other two controls. I would have rewired it if the pickups were good. I had an extra MIM pickguard loaded stock
    so I rewired it so it would fit the routing which was open along the side opposite of the MIM. The original had 12 screws and the bridge saddles were
    messed up. I had some spare saddles from some squiers I worked on before and they were the same size as the ones on this guitar. I also replaced a rusty jack plate. The name on the guitar says "Cimac" and the neck plate says MIJ. It has a CBS style headstock and a sticker on the back from a music store in Belgium.
    It has a very nice neck and doesn't look bad for what it's been through. It has the usual signs, back plate screws not off set in the center and the dot space on the 12th fret is not right, and a bullet with no 3 bolt neck. The MIM pickguard lines up at the neck pocket but the bridge looks offset. The end result sounds pretty good and I am going to keep it since I made it lefty. Anyone ever hear of this brand or how old it is? Strat copy.JPG

The tuners are banged up so I need to see what I can replace them with.

vlxerdon and stormin1155 like this.

2. tubejockey

tubejockey Strat-Talker

Dec 1, 2016
    the Bozone
    Now I am jonesin' for a new project guitar.

3. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I would say early to mid 1970s. The trap tuners confirm that it's a budget model, & the narrow neckplate makes me think that it was made before the Japanese manufacturers got their act together to produce accurate vintage copies, around about 1977/78 with the early Tokais.

Replacing those trap tuners without leaving visible screw holes is virtually impossible. The usual solution is to use the Kluson types that the maker should have fitted in the first place!

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

4. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    It's not a Cimac, it's a Cimar. They were pretty common around here in the late 70s and as Strat copies went back then they weren't bad quality.

leonard d rock and vid1900 like this.

5. Elvie

Elvie Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 26, 2014
    Singapore
    Cimar were made by Hoshino Gakki who made Ibanez guitars in the 70's.

6. Lost Sailor

Thanks for the info, that last letter looked like a c to me. I will probably change the tuners with Kluson's and fill in the holes as needed. It looks like my '72 natural finish but not as aged or ambered.

7. Malurkey

Malurkey Strat-O-Master

Dec 28, 2016
    Netherlands
    The location of the strap button looks unusual from the pictures...

8. gilmourstrat

gilmourstrat Senior Stratmaster

Oct 16, 2012
    Europe
    The OP stated he turned it into a left-handed Strat... ;)

9. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    The EU
    HNFSD!

But isn't it rather uncomfortable, having the cable jack under the arm?

10. Lost Sailor

No, I've played upside down strats all my life....and I find the location of the controls, and switch better on top with nothing underneath to bump.