Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

New: Fender American Performer

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Doug B, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Chont

Chont Senior Stratmaster

Sep 25, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    If they release the LPB with a RW neck I’m gonna be gassing bad.

Only complaint I have is the silver logo on the 70s headstock

2. John C

John C Senior Stratmaster

Jul 17, 2012
    Kansas City
    I hesitate to bring it up - but this could be foreshadowing a price increase on all the other USA models for 2019 (and possibly all the MIM series as well outside of the Player series - and you never know Fender could increase them as well even though they just came out in June)

Bighump likes this.
  3. T Guitar Floyd

T Guitar Floyd Senior Stratmaster

Oct 27, 2014
    Arizona
    :eek: Shhh . . . Fender execs are listening! :(

4. John C

John C Senior Stratmaster

Jul 17, 2012
    Kansas City
    I'm picturing someone next to a large "ACME" switch that says "Price Increase" ready to throw the switch.:eek::rolleyes:

T Guitar Floyd and Bighump like this.
  5. mutato

mutato Senior Stratmaster

Jul 10, 2007
    RI
    I'd love one, but used. Also, I'd respray the large headstock with some tinted poly to give it more a vintage vibe. Too new and clean looking. I do like the specs on these. Alas, I've got too many strats! ; -)

6. T Guitar Floyd

T Guitar Floyd Senior Stratmaster

Oct 27, 2014
    Arizona
    Umm, pretty sure there is no such thing. That is for sure, a myth. ;)

7. Stratbats

Stratbats Strat-O-Master

Feb 16, 2018
    WV
    I've always liked the Mustang, but at that price? That's what I paid for my American Strat in '08.

8. Lone Woof

Lone Woof Senior Stratmaster

Nov 30, 2014
    WI
    These are two great demos-- of the Strat and the Mustang. I really like the the sound of Mustang, but the specs say it's a "modern C" neck. If it's the same dimensions as the modern C on the American Specials, that's a deal killer.

9. Birdsong

Birdsong Strat-Talker

Jul 24, 2018
    Nenc
    They need to loose them big arse head stocls

10. diogoguitar

diogoguitar Senior Stratmaster

Feb 2, 2012
    Northwest US
    ^^ wow I love this pink metallic color

p.s:actually no, this sparkle is too over the top for me. In the thumbnail looked nicer

11. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

Oct 13, 2014
    Canada
    Not fussy about the headstock/logo and never liked satin finishes. The adjective gig-able (is that a word?) peaks my interest to test one out at L and M just to see how it plays. Aesthetics come second to play-ability with limits of course...

12. Zeekrider

Zeekrider Strat-Talk Member

Jul 14, 2016
    Scottsdale
    Totally agree... headstock logo on the Tele looks dang fugly. And the '70s head on the Strat looks kind of cheesy as compared to the smaller headstock on the previous Americans. I have an original '70s Strat already (that I bought in the mid seventies!) and having one big head stock Strat is enough for me.

The honey burst is beautiful! The penny finish is kind of cool, I guess (though I'd prefer INCA silver or Shoreline Gold, personally). And I might like aubergine, once I can see it in person.

I'd really like to hear how the new Strat pickups sound through my own amp & settings, but from what I heard with the Captain playing clean through a Deluxe Reverb... me LIKE the clean sound of those Yosemites.

All in all, though... pretty much "meh".

I have three awesome American Standards right now (one with an American Professional neck) and nothing about the new Performer moves me enough to open my wallet for one.

That said, there is just ONE thing that I REALLY do like about the Performer Strat and that is the pull-up tone knob feature on the Strat which connects the bridge pickup to the neck pickup - big, rich, full, and sparkly bright tone - just my style. I need to mod my existing Strats to do THAT.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018 at 1:08 AM
  13. Zeekrider

Zeekrider Strat-Talk Member

Jul 14, 2016
    Scottsdale
    Did you listen to The Captain playing the Strat clean through the Deluxe Reverb? I think these Yosemites on the Strat can give a nice, very Stratty, clean tone. But you may prefer Fat '50s or CS69s... all just personal taste, however I don't hear a big difference between them, myself. (I only play clean - no dirt.)

14. enchantpth44

enchantpth44 Strat-Talker

Jun 29, 2018
    Canada
    What if you like jumbo frets....

15. Numbercruncher

Numbercruncher Strat-Talker

Nov 28, 2017
    Spokane, WA
    I am at a point where I can comfortably hear the difference between all the pickups and configurations but honestly cannot say that one just sounds way better than the other. I was comparing the Elite to the American Professional and the best youtube video I saw had them sounding very similar to me. Close enough to where I wouldn't pay the $500 price difference for the elite even with the killer ebony neck.

These new models don't sound all that different from the two I just mentioned and if I need to be schooled on this, please do so politely. The Honey Burst does look cool but the other colors for me simply won't work. And the guitar doesn't just have that jaw dropping sound to have the tone over ride the appearance.

The biggest difference I have noticed between incoming and outgoing models is when the two Brits at the Lick Loft compared the Player Strat side by side with the outgoing Standard series Strat. There are some very big differences between those two; enough to almost justify one of each.

I'll do some more comparing between the new Performer and Pro models and see if my lousy hearing can detect an advantage in one over the other. A noticeable difference? Sure. But in a blind test I guarantee I won't be able to tell which one is more expensive unless I know going in.

NC

Edit: Stopped by my local GC and they had all three on the wall. I tried the American Pro, ?American Elite, American Performer as well as the new MIM Player series Strat. The difference, for me and I emphasize for me, was not that great. Certainly no one of them sounded better than the other, just slightly different. This is on the center pickup running through a very basic chord progression. The amp was a Boss Katana 50 in clean mode with zero effects. Maybe reverb or distortion would have shown a difference but I tend to see that as masking a difference with gain and whatever else is running as opposed to helping to distinguish any differences. I say try them all and go with your eye/ear. If you are neutral on tone then go with whichever finish you like best.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018 at 7:05 PM