Join Strat-Talk Today

New From Fender - The Sixty-Six

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by gjohnson441496, Mar 14, 2019.

1. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496 Strat-Talker

2. TN703800

TN703800 Strat-Talk Member

Interesting. I'd take that for a drive.

gwjensen likes this.
  3. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

Looks interesting. I would not have opted for a front panel input, but some may like that.

CigBurn and Textele like this.
  4. usul1978

usul1978 Guitar bricolo Strat-Talk Supporter

Exactly my thought...

Textele likes this.
  5. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Reminds me of the Ernie Ball Music Man Cutlass guitars.

I agree with the posters above. The Fender recessed football jack, synonymous with Stratocasters is so incredibly well designed, sensible, and smart, I don't know why it wasn't used on this model.

dante1963 likes this.
  6. Bighump

Bighump Strat-Talker

Man me likey! I think this one will be quite versatile and scream very nice indeed.

7. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

its like if a pbass, jaguar, tele, and a strat ran into each other at full speed after a few drinks

Neil.C, fezz parka, jvin248 and 6 others like this.
  8. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

Why does Fender keep mashing up designs into these hideous monstrosities? Leo got it right so many years ago, why not just leave it alone.

Grux, Neil.C, fezz parka and 4 others like this.
  9. guitarface

guitarface Senior Stratmaster

It's fun.

10. gwjensen

gwjensen Senior Stratmaster

I like the way Fender has been mashing things up lately. Not all of them work, but this looks cool...

11. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Strat-Talk Supporter

I kinda like it, but they could have easily (well, with money) incorporated a recessed Strat-style jack into that metal plate for a really cool touch... a quick mock-up:

upload_2019-3-14_10-49-45.png

12. circles

circles Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I really like the above guitar, but not where the pickup selector switch is.

13. John C

John C Senior Stratmaster

I agree with guitarface - they are kind of fun things. Fender only makes a limited quantity of them and puts them out as a monthly limited edition. I'm not sure how many of this run they will be making since they are MIMs, but last year's USA-made series was around 500 units of each model.

14. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

Sure I get that but seems like the funds could have been spent for better things like expanding the color range of the Am Pro that folks keep asking for or putting better pickups in the Performer series since I keep reading folks saying how awful the Yosemite pickups are (which based on the Performer Tele and Strat I tried I 100% agree with). To each their own I just would never consider buying any of the "alternate universe" or mash up Fenders they keep introducing.

Neil.C likes this.
  15. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

Hmm, I like it. Hope it has the wider string spacing. Can't tell from the pics.

16. stratomatt

stratomatt Strat-O-Master

Meh. This had potential, but what a bad bridge choice. I guess it's for people who don't own strats already. Now if this had a hardtail Fender Bridge, a string through telecaster bridge, or (dare I say?) a tune-o-matic, it would be the cat's pajamas. Nothin' to see here folks.

17. Lone Woof

Lone Woof Senior Stratmaster

Ugh. When will they bring back the 3 pickup Cyclone? They regularly fetch $600 to $800 used, and sell quickly, so there's definitely a market. Instead, they bring out these goofy mashups.

Grux likes this.
  18. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496 Strat-Talker

I'm reading a book titled The Birth of Loud: Leo Fender, Les Paul, and the Guitar-Pioneering Rivalry That Shaped Rock And Roll. According to the book, everything Leo Fender made starting with the Esquire which became the Broadcaster and afterwards the Telecaster, came about from mashing up designs. His guitars weren't well received in a land of hollow bodied guitars. Putting a pickup in a hollow body was thought absurd, and when he created his solid body with a pickup he was laughed at. He gained all kinds of ridicule when he used the Stratocaster body design as a template for the Precision bass. The upper and lower horns on the bass was to balance it out while in a sitting or standing position, but musicians found them to be ugly. The P bass was frowned upon by jazz bassist until they realized that they could finally be heard. Not to forget, Leo had a hand in MusicMan and G & L. Leo Fender was a maverick.

This book is a must read into the history of the electric guitar. I didn't know until after reading it that Les Paul did not make the Les Paul. It was a signature guitar built for him by Gibson.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  19. rlongnt

rlongnt Strat-Talk Member

I completely agree. It's like they have six versions of Mr. Potato Head and mix up the parts then act like it’s new.

Neil.C and Stratoskater like this.
  20. John C

John C Senior Stratmaster

I doubt that that doing these would really impact the funds for other colors or different pickups. I fully expect Fender to release a couple of additional colors for the American Pros this summer as it's been 2 years since they released them in CAR and in natural ash.

As far as the Yosemite pickups - I agree; I didn't care for either the Strat or the Tele I tried but I do own an Am Performer Mustang. That being said I've never owned (or really spent any significant time with) a vintage Mustang or any of the various MIJ or Squier versions so I didn't have any frame of reference to compare the Yosemite Mustang pickups to like I do for Strats and Teles. But regardless Fender will probably stick with these pickups for at least a few years before they change anything out on the Am Performer models.

Stratoskater likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.