Join Strat-Talk Today

New From Fender - The Sixty-Six

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by gjohnson441496, Mar 14, 2019.

1. nungesser

nungesser "My love a bigger than a Cadillac" Strat-Talk Supporter

I always thought about putting the knobs and plate from a P Bass like that on a strat. It works for me

jvin248 likes this.
  2. BobbyS

BobbyS Strat-O-Master

this looks like where they got the idea

3. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

Why can't they still try to continue to innovate and come up with something new/different? That's like saying Ford got it right with the Model T, why bother making new designs?

Ace38 likes this.
  4. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

It would be a fun guitar. Seems it was released after Nirvana and no 'big star' picked this model up so dealers didn't order and it disappeared. Found a picture.
    [​IMG]

5. Lone Woof

Lone Woof Senior Stratmaster

I don't think anyone's faulting Fender for doing something different, it's that too much of it's not particularly innovative. More like kludging two existing models together. I'd much rather see innovations and more interesting finishes on their classics.

The one really innovative thing they've come out with recently is the Acoustasonic. I like it...a lot, so I'm definitely not opposed to them trying new things.

6. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

But Ford didn’t get it right with the Model T. They did with the mustang and should have quit there. If they did maybe they wouldn’t have had to cut all their sedan models except it. :D

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/autos/ford-stop-making-all-passenger-cars-except-mustang-n869256

7. Ace38

Ace38 Strat-Talker

I love seeing fun stuff like this and kinda want one. Sadly its the "Leo got it right" attitude combined with the mass internet hysteria that occurred when the word "Standard" was replaced with "Professional" that make them hesitant to do things. Thankfully, the marketing data is showing that old loons like us aren't making up the core of new sales, so hopefully they'll listen more to the folks buying, and less to people who can't imagine things being better than they were almost 70 years ago.

CalicoSkies likes this.
  8. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

It seems people often don't realize that Leo later co-founded G&L and continued innovating there with some new designs for bridges, pickups, etc.. I heard he also improved the 3-bolt neck design at G&L.

People often seem to like the first/original version of something, but the thing is that the first version of something often can be improved. And companies often do try to innovate and improve the designs of their products over time. Sometimes I even like to wait for a later version so they can work out some of the issues that might exist in the first version(s).

Bob the builder and Ace38 like this.
  9. Ace38

Ace38 Strat-Talker

AMEN! This Leo Fender jock sniffing cult thats popped up is kinda missing the point. Leo was utilitarian, the Strat was designed to eliminate the Tele, instead both are still around. They're made to be inexpensive, easy to fix and easy to maintain. He was smart enough to listen to the people who actually used these guitars and used their ideas to improve his. The original Strat trem? DISMAL FAILURE!! He spent more than he should have trying to fix his roller based system before switching to the one we all know now. The 3 position switch was because of either (depending on which well researched book you read) because that was all he felt it needed or because he hated the inbetween (everyone's much loved quack) sounds. The 5 position switch everyone knows and loves is courtesy CBS. Leo would probably be crushed to see $4k custom shop Strats rolling out with his name on it, with fancy figured woods (which he said should be left to Gibson) and the like. It's one thing to appreciate the past, its something altogether to refuse to move on from it. We can love our Strats and still have room for the Sixty-Six and other innovations.

10. fezz parka

fezz parka The Return of the Red Helmet Strat-Talk Supporter

Dear Fender,

Make a 25.5 scale Jaguar. Not that f'd up Strat banged a Jag in the Alley thing.

Signed,

A Lot of Us.
    ( but mostly me and my buddy Elliot)

Grux and Stratoskater like this.
  11. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster

I’ve really quite enjoyed fenders recent alt universe stuff

This is aimed at a younger crowd I guess than the average age on here. The kids don’t give toss about the guitars their grandads played however well thought out they were which is why we’re seeing a flurry of new designs aimed at millennials and younger. Us old Strat guys belong in a museum now :D

12. John C

John C Senior Stratmaster

Don't forget Leo did the Music Man instruments in the 1970s - in-between his non-compete expiring and eventually founding G&L in 1980. They had active electronics, low-impedance pickups and other innovations that he started backing away from during the G&L years.

As to the 3-bolt neck design - it was a combination of tighter production tolerances CLF Research/G&L and the use of 22-fret necks with longer neck heels (no "overhang" like Fender 22-fret necks), which also help the stability. I suppose the longer neck heel/deeper neck pocket was an improvement, but I suspect he did based on player input of wanting the extra fret versus specifically done to improve neck stability.

13. Spats

Spats Strat-Talk Member

I like the fact that the controls (well, not the switch unfortunately) are on a separate plate. One problem with Strats is having to remove the strings if you want to monkey with it, unlike a Tele.

14. Stratoskater

Where did you find this data? I'd like to see that considering every time I see someone in a shop buying a Strat or Tele they are 35+ and my local shop has had one of those Parallel Universe models hanging there for a year or more. All I see the younger guys buying are shredder guitars (shecter in particular) or Les Paul styles.

I'm quite aware of G&L having owned 4 of them but only one was a three bolt neck and the current ones are 4 bolt just like Fender. And considering how many custom shop and Classic series Fender copy the old and original designs (tuners, 6 screw bridge, body curves, neck shapes, etc) I'd say the demand for vintage and original style is greater than ever. Vintage Strat and Tele prices are soaring which I would say indicates many, many people believe the originals are better. Improving design is one thing but smashing together several designs is not improvement IMO.

And I can love my vintage styled Strat and Tele and think this new thing is a god awful looking hodgepodge. I'm all for innovations but prefer classic aesthetics. I understand the Jazzmaster trem is supposed to be the better version Leo finally perfected. I do not like the looks of them or any offset models and as such never picked one up so I have no idea. I do know that my Strat trem works great for what I do so I have no need to try a Jazzmaster.

15. Ace38

Ace38 Strat-Talker

Fender released a study a few months back saying females were driving 50% of new sales. So there's answer one. Answer to both comments 2 and 3 is: fine, you don't have to like it in any way shape or form. But it's existence is not taking anything away from your Strats.

T Guitar Floyd likes this.
  16. Stratoskater

It'd be cool to read that study they released, do you remember where you saw it? I'm willing to bet that 50% is largely buying the starter packs (since Fender counts Squier sales in their totals) and not buying higher end USA, Artist Sig or Vintage Reissue style guitars. And my not liking these does not take away form Fender being able to release them. In fact it does not affect me in any way since the only Strats I foresee having a desire to own is the EJ (or a CS for my 50th) and those will remain as they are regardless of what Fender does with their other lines.

I simply said 1. I think they are ugly as all get out and 2. with folks asking over and over again to have more colors in the Am Pro line and considering the abysmal reviews the pickups in the Performer series keeps getting I think Fender could have used their time and money better to address these issue. I'm glad you obviously like these guitars and I hope you buy one and support Fender. and make this new line a success.

My last point on this will be that everyone said the reason Gibson went bankrupt was because they deviated too far from their main line of guitars, tried too many new and odd things and had way too many models and variations. They listened, went back to their roots and this years NAMM offerings are being praised all over. They even hired Mark Agnesi to be Director of Brand Experience. That guy loves classic Gibson's and has been saying for years they should go back to doing what they did best and made them great. Wonder if the same will happen to Fender?

17. T Guitar Floyd

T Guitar Floyd Senior Stratmaster

Actually, (though I haven't seen the book), the Precision came out in '51, making it's body style the template for the Stratocaster (prototypes in late '53, introduction in '54).

18. Ace38

Ace38 Strat-Talker

I know I saw it on Squier-talk and msn. Linked below since a google search seems to be difficult. Again, you dont' have to like it, but if you think coming up with ideas like the Sixty-Six is keeping them from changing colors on the Strat...well....I can't help you there.

Gibson went under because not only did they come up with crap ideas (robot tuners) and let QC slip to nothing, they bought a TON of things they shouldn't have and tried to reinvent the brand. That was their undoing. You're certainly free to disagree, but the first article attached will say otherwise.

https://www.fastcompany.com/40566146/heres-why-gibson-is-bankrupt-no-its-not-because-rock-is-dead

https://reverb.com/news/fender-releases-new-study-about-gender-and-racial-diversity-of-guitar-market

19. Stratoskater

Oh I know that Gibson's foray into home electronics and other items is what made their balance sheet so heavy but their lagging guitar sales are why they could no longer support those endeavors or hold on long enough to sell them off. Many long time Gibson devotes left the camp because of the nutty things like robot tuners, brass nuts, etc.

That article brings up an interesting point on why it can be hard for a guitar maker to survive:

45 percent of new Fenders are sold to first-time players, 10 percent of those new players will be players for life.

This means that for every 100 guitars you sell 65 will be bought by someone who already has a guitar and 45 by someone who doesn't. Now of the 45 new customers you capture you will only ever have a chance to sell to 10 of them again. As any good salesperson should know it's far cheaper to keep a customer than to find a new one. Now of those 65 folks who are already players some will simply not buy anymore guitars or anymore fender guitars, some will trade for other guitars, many will buy used since all the forums say that is the best way to get a good deal and still some will buy parts and build their own as is becoming ever more popular. My point is that Fender would be far better off trying to attract and keep the 65 folks who are already players vs. going after the 45 new ones of whom only 10 will stick with guitar.

It was said earlier (maybe by you and others I think) in this thread that fender is/should be doing this to attract new customers. A quick glance of the replies in this thread seems to show about half dislike these or would not buy one, about 30-40% like them and around 10-20% think they are okay but don't seem likely to buy one. Since we can assume that the posters here are already guitarists and they fall in to the 65% category of the Fender sales data then less than half of us are likely to buy this new guitar and if all the 45 new guitarist out there buy one only 10 of them at most will stick with guitar thereby affording Fender at least a chance to make another sale. Creating a new product to target a market that Fender has said yields them 10 possible repeat customers for every 45 does not make good financial sense. I don't believe these are trying to attract new, I think Fender is just making some funky new guitars (which of course they can do) but it reminds me of Gibson going hey I think folks want robot tuners. The manager at my local Sam Ash told me they would not be stocking the Fender Parallel Universe in their store anymore as each one they had gotten hung on the wall for over 6 months and eventually they sold them at a huge discount or got lucky and were able to send to another store that did have someone who wanted one. Conversely they sold 2 American Original 50's Tele's in 5 days (one to me) and sold 3 ES 335's in 10 days (also one to me). They are constantly selling Les Pauls, Strats, Teles and 335's and restocking but the same sunburst Jazzmaster has hung there since last summer.

And yes anything Fender (or any company) throws money at it takes away from other projects they could use it for. So it is of course feasible that using resources on a new line or model of guitar could divert them from being used towards anything on an existing line, even color additions. Again I could care less about the color of an Am Pro as I owned on for 5 days and did not like many of the features (frets, pickups) and returned it, but I have seen several threads in the past few months on here about when will Fender bring out some new colors so others do seem to care.

20. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496 Strat-Talker

You are absolutely right.

I’m still reading the book and finally got to the making of the Stratocaster. Earlier in the book an example was given about naming the guitars. Telecaster was named to relate it to the latest technology at the time, the television, and the Stratocaster name was given to it to convey it being something out of this world as in the stratosphere.

T Guitar Floyd and Ace38 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.