Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

New guitar, first strat! Classic Vibe 50s

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by Padawan, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Padawan

Padawan Strat-Talk Member

Aug 30, 2017
    Bristol, UK
    [​IMG]

I wish I'd got a strat sooner. I think I just overlooked them because they're so ubiquitous, but they're everywhere for a reason. And now I'm here.

Anyway, found this one locally for a good price with all the plastic and tags still on it. The owner turned out to be a really cool sound engineer with a house full of guitars and weird old synths. We ended up chatting for a few hours about stuff he's worked on, including Mezzanine by Massive Attack!

I really, really love the neck on this guitar. The general feel and finish all around is so much better than the MIM Tele it replaces (I need contouring in my life), which has sharp frets and a rough neck stripe. This is immaculate, resonant and smooth, and sounds amazing through my THR10. The hype around these things is justified!

Got it home and it had somehow developed a crackling jack since trying it out, which was annoying. Took it out, had a prod, then put it back and it seems to work fine now... Action is too high but setting guitars up is something I really want to learn now, so I'll give it a go when I get some tools in, using the fender site.

Nothing that exciting, but it is for me! Thanks for looking!

PS - is the trem arm supposed to be gold? I kinda like it but am not sure if it's been given the arm from another classic vibe! Am tempted to order an aged white and chrome one though.

2. MGriff240

MGriff240 Strat-Talk Member

Mar 30, 2017
    Philadelphia, PA
    Happy NGD!! CV's are awesome.

Setups are easy after you've done it once or twice, search around the forum and you'll find plenty of help. :thumb:

Padawan likes this.

3. Padawan

Aug 30, 2017
    Bristol, UK
    Thanks a lot! I've not done the best job on restringing this - the vintage tuners threw me off - but I have hoped I can make it a little easier to play. Not that it's bad right now :)

MGriff240 likes this.

4. MGriff240

MGriff240 Strat-Talk Member

Mar 30, 2017
    Philadelphia, PA
    I screwed up a couple strings when I first encountered vintage tuners, but now I swear by them.

Boognish likes this.

5. Yaralag

Yaralag Strat-O-Master

Aug 28, 2014
    Colorado
    Great looking guitar!

Padawan likes this.

6. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    Congrats on the guitar and welcome to ST.

The CV's are the absolute 'best value' in guitars right now.

I'm pretty sure the trem arm should be chrome plated.

7. hornpiper

hornpiper Senior Stratmaster

Apr 23, 2014
    Portland, OR
    Welcome to the forum. Looks like a great choice for a first Strat, a great choice period for that matter. Got to love a resonant, great necked, smooth playing, good looking Sunburst 50's Strat. Is there anything more classic than that?

Padawan likes this.

8. Groovey

Groovey Senior Stratmaster

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    That's a Beauty! They (Strats) make pretty sounds, don't they

Omar likes this.

9. Groovey

Groovey Senior Stratmaster

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    Oh, I think chrome as well. You can call Fender direct and buy the proper one. These days, some screw in, some push in.

10. Guitaraxe

Guitaraxe Strat-O-Master

Aug 22, 2015
    States

11. tery

tery Senior Stratmaster

Jul 31, 2014
    Tennessee
    Congratulations on your your new Strat and welcome to the forum :)

12. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Feb 17, 2016
    New Zealand
    congratulations on what will be the first of many!!

13. Padawan

Aug 30, 2017
    Bristol, UK
    Thanks everyone!

I'm thinking of getting the first setup done by a pro (my guitar teacher, actually) just to give me a basis to work from later. He's doing my other guitar now. The more I look the less confident I feel about doing this setup!

fattboyzz likes this.

14. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world

About a minute in he shows you how to use those tuners (even on a back to front guitar). Welcome to the forum. :)

Omar, slash1814 and Padawan like this.

15. Rasputin13

Rasputin13 Strat-Talker

Jun 14, 2017
    Cleveland
    Looks nice. I like it.

16. Raiders757

Raiders757 Senior Stratmaster

Sep 2, 2016
    Virginia
    Congratulations and HNGD!! That's a nice looking Strat you have there.

17. nadzab

nadzab Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Nice, congratulations. It's always struck me how the bodies on the CVs often have nicer-looking/better-matched wood than many higher-priced Fender offerings.

18. Padawan

Aug 30, 2017
    Bristol, UK
    I'm really impressed. I can't see the join without really looking, and the grain has a nice curve that follows the body.

Just finished an educational first ever set-up, and I think it went well! Action lowered a little, and pickups made a tiny bit higher which made a huge difference. Even floated the bridge where it had been decked before. Learned a lot! I followed the Fender guide but skipped the intonation section for now, I couldn't quite wrap my head around it.

Got my other guitar back and set up some wall hangers. Here they are!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    Nate D, fattboyzz, Pretzel and 3 others like this.

19. busted-e-again

busted-e-again Strat-Talker

Jun 24, 2009
    swnw
    I got one of these when they first came out. It was set up perfectly from the factory, and even had a handwritten string height QA card. However, never felt it was 100%, from the yellow neck that seems like it was dipped in a vat of plastic lacquer, to the uninspiring paint job covering most of the wood in black, and the aged plastic knobs that look more like the way a white computer from the 80s ages.

20. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Most Honored Senior Member

May 7, 2014
    UK