Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

New member, first Affinity Strat

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by jimnh, Oct 27, 2017.

1. jimnh

jimnh New Member!

Oct 27, 2017
    New Hampshire
    Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and I bought my first Affinity Strat last weekend. It was an impulse buy, we were driving to town to go shopping, and my wife saw it on Facebook and said I should buy it. The seller was asking $95, but I pointed out the fact that I would need to buy tuners and a new whammy bar, and I didn't even know if the truss rod works since I didn't bring any tools with me. She accepted my offer of $40. I don't plan on ever selling it, I will replace the missing parts and do a full setup and polish the frets and see how it plays.

IMG_0871.jpg IMG_0872.jpg IMG_0873 (2).jpg IMG_0874.jpg

What do you think, Did I do OK?

Mansonienne, vlxerdon, Viking and 6 others like this.

2. Ferret619

Ferret619 Strat-Talker

May 6, 2017
    Canberra
    I recon you did well, I’m picking one up this weekend as well for the princely sum of $70 but that’s aussie bucks so yeah about right lol.
    They are full size, play well, necks are nice.
    Apparently the pickups arnt highly rated but there are those that love em so take that with a grain of salt.
    On paper I don’t like squires but I just keep on buying em.
    Tuners are apparently also not the most stable but your in a position to justify a nice set anyway.
    I plan on chucking my spare MIM bridge in mine :)

Yaralag likes this.

3. Dougeryb

Dougeryb Strat-Talk Member

Apr 18, 2017
    Welcome and congrats!

$40 isn't bad at all! I have an Affinity, and after set up, and blocking the trem, it plays very well!

You should get some good tunes out of that guitar.

If worse comes to worse (As in some major problem) you could always practice your luthier skills on fret leveling, etc..

Ferret619 likes this.

4. tery

tery Senior Stratmaster

Jul 31, 2014
    Tennessee
    Welcome to Strat-Talk :) ...and congratulations on your Strat !

5. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

An Affinity made in Indonesia are one of the best quality Squiers out there. You'll have a good time once you repair the owner abuse issues. Blocking the trem is a good thing, makes the guitar a lot more stable plus it's Eric Clapton Approved (he did it with his Strat(s)).

Look up the Dan Armstrong Blender Mod. Do that on this guitar and you won't need any Les Paul humbucker for the stable. It converts the second tone knob to a blender so you can go from SSS to HSH.

For general upgrades, a Bourns volume pot, Switchcraft jack plus a shielded cable to the jack instead of separate wires, and an oak-grigsby switch can make the guitar feel and operate like a premium Fender.

6. jimnh

jimnh New Member!

Oct 27, 2017
    New Hampshire
    Thanks for the welcome and the mod ideas! Please keep them coming. My first goal is to get it playing right with everything stock, then I will have a starting point to compare to, so I can really know if I like the improvements. I will update this thread as I go...

7. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member

Cool purchase! Great price!!

CTS is also a premium pot, and I'd replace the tone pots also.

Oak-Grigsby is IMO the best 5 way switch around. Uses a little spring so you can adjust the resistance to moving (I clipped a couple coils off until it felt right).

8. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

May 2, 2016
    Cranston, Rhode Island

9. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member

What's up with the truss rod adjustment on the headstock?

Never seen one with a big dark streak running away from the hole like that. Previous owner and a Sharpie or something???

10. jimnh

jimnh New Member!

Oct 27, 2017
    New Hampshire
    Nope, that's just the way the insert is.

11. Vjerilood

Vjerilood Strat-O-Master

Jul 30, 2017
    USA
    It's hard to imagine going wrong for $40. Now you have a lot of wiggle room for modifications.

12. banjaxed

banjaxed Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Mar 14, 2014
    Liverpool UK
    Hi and welcome to ST, that was a good deal, enjoy.

13. jimnh

jimnh New Member!

Oct 27, 2017
    New Hampshire
    Does anybody know what strings these shipped with? I set it up to Fender specs, but it's fretting out at the 19th fret. Maybe the fret is too high, but I have .009's. Maybe it's a setup issue and I need to try 10's before I go any farther with dressing the frets. It isn't lifted...

14. Mustrat

Mustrat Strat-Talk Member

Jun 16, 2017
    Minneapolis
    Chances are it has never had better than a rough setup and should have one whichever gauge you decide to use.

15. Ravenmore

Ravenmore Strat-Talker

Oct 9, 2017
    Cedar Park
    I did the same thing. I found an Affinity at a pawn shop for $70. I put a pre-loaded pickguard in mine loaded with Fender Tex Mex pickups and upgraded electronics. I discovered after playing mine a while I'm not super fond of the narrower neck that the Affinity's have.

16. Ravenmore

Ravenmore Strat-Talker

Oct 9, 2017
    Cedar Park
    Also mine has different tuners and honestly they are pretty decent. I thought I was going to change them but now I don't see a need to.

17. Dougeryb

Dougeryb Strat-Talk Member

Apr 18, 2017
    Pretty sure they ship with 9's.

Just this weekend, I swapped stock Affinity saddles for some bent steel I had, and from 10's back to 9's. I tried 10's on it for a little, but I like how the 9's feel/sound on the Affinity. Just didnt groove with 10's.

18. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    The EU
    DO NOT get attached to that guitar!

Not because you'll end up selling it anyway - if you keep her forever, that's great!

But an Affinity is a great modding platform, especially at that price (great deal!), and once you get attached, you might not have the heart to change the electronics...

So love it, play it, but always regard it as something you might change along the way!

HNGD!

19. el cheapo

el cheapo New Member!

Apr 10, 2011
    US
    I just put locking tuners on my Affinity Strat, so if you want the originals let me know.

Mansonienne likes this.

20. jimnh

jimnh New Member!

Oct 27, 2017
    New Hampshire
    Thanks for the offer, but I already picked up a new set of squier replacements on ebay for $15.