Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

New rack/new mic pre day

Discussion in 'Home Recording Studio' started by GuitarPix, May 9, 2018.

1. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Senior Stratmaster

Oct 21, 2013
    Calgary
    Partly because I have to move, partly because things have been crap and I wanted to do a couple nice things for myself, partly because I found some great deals – I put together my portable studio with some new toys.

Found this gator rack/case for $135 CAN, and the ART PRO MPA II stereo mic pre for $150.

Now I have a really heavy box of 16 channels recording ability with 3 or 4 different mic pre’s (if you count the Focusrite having plain and ‘air’ settings on each of its channels.)

I’ve been looking to get this mic pre ever since reading an article about a blind test with this against several high priced mic pre’s - and winning every test except ribbon mics.

The interface is the Focusrite Clarett 8pre with a Behringer 8 with Midas pre’s linked to it.

I have two mice cables from the ART and a 4 channel snake from the Focusrite back (two inputs are running from the ART). All other channels are on the front.

Of course just minutes after taking that photo, I realized I put the everything in upside down – so I had to rebuild it again ( head slap )

IMG_1318.JPG

2. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Awww, man, I can't even really work to a level that would justify that stuff but I would really live to have it. :D I never have that kind of envy where I am not happy YOU have it, I have the kind where I can congratulate you and then say "dang, wish I had that mic pre." :D

3. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Senior Stratmaster

Oct 21, 2013
    Calgary
    Thank you.

I’ve been looking at one of those for years, there’s a new old/stock one for $329 at a local store and when they have a replacement they will be something like $370 - so $150 is fine by me.

4. Dadocaster

Would like to have one good mic pre, a nice squishy compressor, and an SM7. Not asking for much...

5. Dadocaster

Additional digression: I am unclear why there are not more single channel no frills mic pre/compressor combos. Would seem to be an easy sale to all the Spare Bedroom Music Studio types.

GuitarPix likes this.

6. pazman6

pazman6 Strat-O-Master

Congrats.

The practical side of me has been looking at the ART PRO MPAII as well, maybe even the digital version for the extra $100 so I can use it to come out of the mixer and back into the DAW. I have also been considering the ART Pro VLAII compressor. The impractical side of me has been looking more at the 1073 mic pre clones or ones with EQ included, but the cost is hard to justify and they are single channel. I looked at 500 series but by the time I buy a chassis I might as well go with full size components. A few I have been pondering are:

Heritage Audio HA73EQ Elite Single-Channel Rack Mic Pre with EQ
    $899

Chameleon Labs 7603 Mic/Line Pre Amp $899

Golden Age Project Pre-73 MKIII Mic Preamp $349

GuitarPix likes this.

7. pazman6

pazman6 Strat-O-Master

I picked up a Presonus Eureka Channel strip at a pawn shop for $150. Pretty nice unit - mic pre, parametric EQ, and Compressor. They also have a newer model which is similar but $100 cheaper new. ART also makes a few channel strips with the same.

Another one I picked up at a pawn shop for $30 or so was an Art Tube Pac. 1/2 19" chassis size. Tube mic pre with compressor. It actually sounds pretty good. Use it as a bass pre amp when I go straight into the Audio Interface and also use it for vocals on little projects for Strat Talk and other voice work before going into the DAW.

http://artproaudio.com/discontinued_products/product/tube_pac/
    [​IMG]

Robins and GuitarPix like this.

8. Dadocaster

I need to frequent a better class of pawn shop. :D

Hairy Bear and GuitarPix like this.

9. pazman6

pazman6 Strat-O-Master

I bought a lot of my gear in Beaumont when I lived over in Texas. Also in Houston. I did get the Eureka in Lake Charles.